A-10C Discussion

McBlemmen

Who said it doesn't? ;)

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

In reality the A-10C is now at suite 7, which has many, many features that we do not have. HMSS (or whatever the American's are calling it, I forget) being one of them.

The A-10C modelled in DCS is suite 3, quite a long way behind what out there now.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

In reality the A-10C is now at suite 7, which has many, many features that we do not have. HMSS (or whatever the American's are calling it, I forget) being one of them.

The A-10C modelled in DCS is suite 3, quite a long way behind what out there now.

Okay... I'll bite.

Any insights on what additional shiny features the suite 7 has over suite 3 (including the HMSS / HMS / HMWhatevertheamericanscallit - late edit I knew it was something familiar... HMCS like our canadian ships)...

I did some research and I found this:

This contract action is sole source to Lockheed Martin Mission Systems and Sensor (LM MS2), CAGE: 03640.

The A-10 SPO has a requirement to provide for continuing development and integration of the A-10 Aircraft Suite 7 Operational Flight Program (OFP) which has already begun under the existing OO-ALC contract. The suite 7 OFP consists of ongoing fleet modernization and upgrade effort which includes development and integration of the suite 7 OFP as well as supporting studies and analyses, and Deficiency Report (DR) resolution. This action will continue work on drawings, source code, executable files, and technical data that will be delivered when the Suite 7effort is completed.

The A-10 Suite 7 OFP contract will also include requirements for software development and integration, systems engineering, system/sub-system integration, program integration, program management, configuration management and configuration status accounting, development and preparation of source data for technical orders/data /publications, support equipment, procurement, and OFP installation and flight test support.

Delivery of a field release is required not later than June 2012 for the subject Suite 7 OFP development with post-field support to continue thru June 2013.

Oh and I've also found this which appears to have some additional details so maybe I can fill in the blanks without having to bother you Eddie!:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/budget/fy2011/usaf-peds/0207131f.pdf

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

last I herd the a-10 has been laid to rest.

Wonderful thing about bureaucracies, you can't even kill something without waiting a few years to see it finally happen.

Wouldn't it be great if a war broke out the week after the last A-10 landed? :thumbup:

As for the suites... eh I try not to know what I'm missing. Makes me too sad.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Okay... I'll bite.

Any insights on what additional shiny features the suite 7 has over suite 3 (including the HMSS / HMS / HMWhatevertheamericanscallit - late edit I knew it was something familiar... HMCS like our canadian ships)...

I did some research and I found this:

This contract action is sole source to Lockheed Martin Mission Systems and Sensor (LM MS2), CAGE: 03640.

The A-10 SPO has a requirement to provide for continuing development and integration of the A-10 Aircraft Suite 7 Operational Flight Program (OFP) which has already begun under the existing OO-ALC contract. The suite 7 OFP consists of ongoing fleet modernization and upgrade effort which includes development and integration of the suite 7 OFP as well as supporting studies and analyses, and Deficiency Report (DR) resolution. This action will continue work on drawings, source code, executable files, and technical data that will be delivered when the Suite 7effort is completed.

The A-10 Suite 7 OFP contract will also include requirements for software development and integration, systems engineering, system/sub-system integration, program integration, program management, configuration management and configuration status accounting, development and preparation of source data for technical orders/data /publications, support equipment, procurement, and OFP installation and flight test support.

Delivery of a field release is required not later than June 2012 for the subject Suite 7 OFP development with post-field support to continue thru June 2013.

Oh and I've also found this which appears to have some additional details so maybe I can fill in the blanks without having to bother you Eddie!:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/budget/fy2011/usaf-peds/0207131f.pdf

thank you for educating the uninitiated... :)

learn something new. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

last I herd the a-10 has been laid to rest.

Congress has the last say, and a lot of HAWG fan's over there.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I think a HMD/HMCS is more appropriate for fighters. A hog pilot, as I understand, uses their gyro-stabilized binos to spot. Mark I eyeballs beats any invention out there.

• Like 2

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Spot a target / area of interest on the ground with binos while on altitude hold and hands free, slap down your hmcs... Mark it, set spi, slave tgp. Refine your orientation, reset spi for attack accuracy or search for somethig else with binos.

And the problem is?

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

I think a HMD/HMCS is more appropriate for fighters. A hog pilot, as I understand, uses their gyro-stabilized binos to spot. Mark I eyeballs beats any invention out there.

HMD/HMCS is genius because it doesn't preclude the eye, it mates with it perfectly. You use your eye to find something on the ground and use a "Make SPI" command to point all your sensors towards it.

Your argument is like saying F-16s don't need the HMCS because they have a radar, or they have their eyes, but completely misses the point that now they can use their radar with their eyes.

Helmet Mounted systems are brilliant for all aircraft simply because they're an enormous upgrade to the Mk1 Eyeball. I'd be giddy if I could get that capability in DCS. There's also the fact that apparently the one in the A-10 is so low profile that it works with NVGs seamlessly, and by extension I imagine Binos as well.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

I do get how the HMCS could benefit attack aircraft, but i don't see it as being all that likely to have mass-distribution since A. The Air force despises specialized fighter-sized planes nowadays and B. are far more useful to fighters who need to be able to lock Missiles high off boresight moreso than attackers. Sure, it'd be great, but I don't see it happening until the F-16 front lines are retired freeing up a boatload of JHMCSes for A-10s

My Logitech Extreme3D Pro "Essentials" Profiles for FC3 and 25T:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/599930/

VERN0UL.png

Thrustmaster T.16000M, TWCS

FC3, F-5E, M2000C, AJS-37, C-101, F-14, NTTR

I do get how the HMCS could benefit attack aircraft, but i don't see it as being all that likely to have mass-distribution since A. The Air force despises specialized fighter-sized planes nowadays and B. are far more useful to fighters who need to be able to lock Missiles high off boresight moreso than attackers. Sure, it'd be great, but I don't see it happening until the F-16 front lines are retired freeing up a boatload of JHMCSes for A-10s

What does that have anything to do with it? There are no plans for retiring the F-16 fleet. Also the A-10 could make use of a HMCS just about as well as an F-16 could..

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Yeah, HMDs would be a lot more efficient than the current targeting and very useful for a-10s. Imagine you see a SAM launch. With HMDs you get your spi immediately on the SAM site and don't have to waste seconds to cross reference the terrain and TAD (or other method) after evading to find it again.

Edited by jubus

Keep in mind that AFAIK, Helmet mounted cuing systems and all the new prototypes and different versions of them can do many things besides being use to lock targets for high off bore sight missiles. Depending on the versions, it can show data link information like targets, wing man position. It can also show RWR threats and it can be use to mark sensor point of interest (SPI), so instead of using binoculars, you can use a targeting pod or you can send the information to other assets with better capabilities via data link.

Also, A-10 and F-16 use different versions AFAIK.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..