TM Warthog and L-39C

Helix_FR

Good morning guys,

I just got my hands on this beauty but It's pretty hard to configure the throttle and commands, especially the flaps control, I seem to not being able to use the UP - MR - DN switch like I do on the A-10C. It seems like I can't use the "commutator" function of the throttle in DCS, for example on the F-15C I can't use the APU ON for Battery ON and APU OFF for Battery OFF while on the A-10C I can do that with the files that ED Gave me in the input directory. It goes the same way for the Albatros, I can't use Flaps UP for Flaps "in flight pos", Flaps MD for Flaps "TO pos" and Flaps DN for Flaps "LD pos".

If anyone has a solution it could be really great !

Thank's in advance, see ya in the skies :pilotfly:

-Helix

Edited by Helix_FR
Corrected some mistakes

jack of a lot of planes, master of.. None really

There's definitely a thread somewhere about this, but I'll just answer it:

To save on input numbers, Thrustmaster designed the warthog to only register in one of the positions on two-way switches and two of the positions on three-way switches. (The reason behind this is an arbitrary limit set by Microsoft on the number of inputs allowed on a DirectX device way back when the standard was created.)

The easiest solution I've found to the limitation is to learn the Thrustmaster TARGET software. It is daunting at first, but is powerful (in advanced mode*) and can be augmented with some scripting in the files if you have anything fancy you want to do later. It is also possible to create input luas for DCS to use the Thrustmaster directly in the game for each plane, but TARGET is less of a hassle.

*Free hint: Always create an advanced profile. Basic profiles can never be made into an advanced one, and advanced profiles have enough extra features that it is just good to have them available as options.

EDIT: To help with the L-39C, I attached my basic profile for the bird. Just change the extension to fcf and TARGET will recognize it. Please note: It's not a complete profile, but most of the more pressing controls are there (Gear is on the Autopilot switch thanks to the Mig-15 and Mig-21). I'm waiting for everything to come out of beta before I go too deep into the L-39 controls.

DCS-L-39C.txt

Edited by P5138
  • Like 1

I used some kind of profile for a while as well. But if you want to fly the A-10C afterwards, you are basically screwed. So, I want to edit the joystick\default.lua to perform the same actions. But I can not get it to work properly. I managed to press all of the Flap buttons at once with the flap-handle on the TM warthog and the customized commands. But that won't do anything usefull in the game. I got the flap handle to work for the MiG-21, but the LUA files are coded differently.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

Without target, it's actually easy to setup, but you'll have to modify your default.lua in the joystick directory.

The trick is that you want the down position to set takeoff flaps when it goes from down to middle. Similarly, when you leave retracted, it should also go to takeoff position.

This thread explains, along with more detail on the exact .lua code you need:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=149230

Without target, it's actually easy to setup, but you'll have to modify your default.lua in the joystick directory.

The trick is that you want the down position to set takeoff flaps when it goes from down to middle. Similarly, when you leave retracted, it should also go to takeoff position.

This thread explains, along with more detail on the exact .lua code you need:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=149230

I did just that. I managed to change the Joystick\Default.lua file for the L-39 with exactly the same lines. Except that when I use this ingame, I managed to get all of the three flap buttons to be continiously pressed. This achieves nothing in the game. If you look carefully to the keyboard commands, you press a flap key and it performs, let's say, action 1. (Flaps flight position) After the key is released, it goes to action 4. This is the release of the button. So, if you change the default.lua with the lines in the thread suggested above, the flap buttons never get un-pressed or released. That is why it is impossible to bind the flaps to the warthog flap lever.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

I did just that. I managed to change the Joystick\Default.lua file for the L-39 with exactly the same lines. Except that when I use this ingame, I managed to get all of the three flap buttons to be continiously pressed. This achieves nothing in the game. If you look carefully to the keyboard commands, you press a flap key and it performs, let's say, action 1. (Flaps flight position) After the key is released, it goes to action 4. This is the release of the button. So, if you change the default.lua with the lines in the thread suggested above, the flap buttons never get un-pressed or released. That is why it is impossible to bind the flaps to the warthog flap lever.

This happens if you change flap state too quickly. You have to move it one notch, give it 2-3 seconds to move, then move it to the next position.

It works great if you just slow your flap changes a bit.

I use the modified default.lua method as well.

The only drawback is that you have to redo all your changes each time there is a game update.

True, but with JSGME and a diff utility like kdiff3 or beyondcompare, it's pretty quick to sort out.

Am I the only one to experience some reversed synchronisation on the IDLE/STOP command in the open alpha 2? Let me explain a bit more:

I have checked the option which synchronises commands at the beginning of a mission.

Before starting a mission in a cold start configuration, my throttle is on the STOP position. Once in the cockpit I can see that the throttle is on the IDLE position. Starting from this situation, setting my throttle to MAX and then STOP, several times, never recovers the problem.

If my throttle is on IDLE before starting the mission, once in the cockpit the throttle position is on STOP and I can't recover the problem either.

Edited by Lordryte

• 3 years later...

Gents, I am looking for a good Warthog profile for the L-39. I am having a bad experience with this one, which looks very well made but every time I run it to get the combined virtual device in TARGET it disables my joystick and I have to get out of TARGET and reset the stick's USB connection before it will work again. I don't mind mapping the whole thing in DCS but in the past I have found expert profiles (albeit for my old CH HOTAS) very helpful. I am facing several steep learning curves here so assistance would be much appreciated.

Gents, I am looking for a good Warthog profile for the L-39. I am having a bad experience with this one, which looks very well made but every time I run it to get the combined virtual device in TARGET it disables my joystick and I have to get out of TARGET and reset the stick's USB connection before it will work again.

That's normal.

When you use TARGET, the device or devices included in that profile are hidden from Windows (and from games) and a new virtual device is created. You have to assign that virtual device in games.

Gents, I am looking for a good Warthog profile for the L-39. I am having a bad experience with this one, which looks very well made but every time I run it to get the combined virtual device in TARGET it disables my joystick and I have to get out of TARGET and reset the stick's USB connection before it will work again. I don't mind mapping the whole thing in DCS but in the past I have found expert profiles (albeit for my old CH HOTAS) very helpful. I am facing several steep learning curves here so assistance would be much appreciated.

Wait, I think I fixed it. I had forgotten how quirky all this stuff can be, with so many devices having to play nice...

That's normal.

When you use TARGET, the device or devices included in that profile are hidden from Windows (and from games) and a new virtual device is created. You have to assign that virtual device in games.

Now THAT is useful to know. I had no idea. After an entire morning of frustration I think I've got this but I've been struggling with controller conflicts that I have to resolve in the DCS controls interface. Would those of you with experience loading TARGET profiles say that it's good practice to clear all input data from all columns before loading the custom TARGET profile into the combined device and keyboard columns so that I do not have to worry about conflicts from the default settings?