F-5E nose gear steering etc.

Havremonster

Hello

I hope someone can help me.

I cant make the F-5E nose gear steering to work. Even if I click "S".

I use a Logitech 3d pro joystick and I dont have any pedals.

(In the Mirage 2000 I hit "S" and then use my stick to steer the plane when taxing)

I also wonder (i'm not an exspert) how to avoid the plane just keep going up after the takeoff...

(sorry for my bad English)

• ED Team

Hi

you have to press and hold the nosewheel steering button to use it.

are you trimming correctly for take off?

the flight manual can be found here

DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-5E\Doc

hope that helps

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

you have to press and hold the nosewheel steering button to use it.

are you trimming correctly for take off?

the flight manual can be found here

DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-5E\Doc

hope that helps

Thank you :) I guess I have to study the manual when I got home from work today.

I tryed to hold down the steering button but it did not help. But the trimming I dont know...LOL :)

The elevator trim gauge is tricky to see, it is to the left of the HUD, up under the glareshield. You need to drop your view down a bit to see it.

There is a chart in the manual with the trim setting based on weight to use for T/O.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you both. I now understand the elevator trim. The nose Wheel seem to be unable to work in "game mode" (easy mode) like I like to play it. I can click on the button on the stick in the plane but it does not help to add the button to the joystick or press "S" in the game mode. So I Guess I just have to take off from the runnaway...

Thank you both. I now understand the elevator trim. The nose Wheel seem to be unable to work in "game mode" (easy mode) like I like to play it. I can click on the button on the stick in the plane but it does not help to add the button to the joystick or press "S" in the game mode. So I Guess I just have to take off from the runnaway...

When you bring up the Controls for the F-5; try pressing "S". The list should go to what the control is when you press "S"; is nothing happens then it is not mapped to that key command. If so, then in the drop down menu (where you can navigate to Systems, Stick, Throttle Quadrant, etc.) there is a search feature at the top. Try typing "nose" or "steering". That should help you find the NWS and then you can map it to whatever you want - keyboard/HOTAS/flight stick.

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

When you bring up the Controls for the F-5; try pressing "S". The list should go to what the control is when you press "S"; is nothing happens then it is not mapped to that key command. If so, then in the drop down menu (where you can navigate to Systems, Stick, Throttle Quadrant, etc.) there is a search feature at the top. Try typing "nose" or "steering". That should help you find the NWS and then you can map it to whatever you want - keyboard/HOTAS/flight stick.

I do find the "S" in controls in sim mode and program it to a button on my joystick. But nothing happening in the game. I need to use the mouse to press and hold the button on the stick inside the plane with my left hand and use my joystick on the right. Very hard way to do it.

I dont have any problem with the Mirage 2000 that also use "S" for activate the nose wheel.

If you're flying in game mode, you'll also need to map the keys in the F-5E game category.

The sim category will not apply to game mode use.

Yes, but the game mode have no option to map the key for the nose wheel. And it does not help to hit "S" in the game aider.

On the issue of nose wheel steering.... I was thinking just the other day, is the behaviour realistic?

If you go full right rudder, and then press the nose wheel steering button, the plane will go hard right almost instantaneously. Does the wheel really turn that quickly?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

On the issue of nose wheel steering.... I was thinking just the other day, is the behaviour realistic?

If you go full right rudder, and then press the nose wheel steering button, the plane will go hard right almost instantaneously. Does the wheel really turn that quickly?

Nose wheel stearing is actuated by a hydraulic piston or pistons controlled by a servo valve. If you force the spool valve wide open (which is what happens when you press the button with full rudder) that piston will go to full travel in a little over a second. I can't speak for the f5 directly but the aircraft I work on uses a similar sized system that has a wide open slew rate of 65-75 degrees per second. So the modeled behavior is not unreasonable.

AOG

The ironic is that in "sim mode" it is easy to use the nose wheel and in game mode "easy mode" you will need to do it the difficult way by pressing the button using the mouse on the stick inside the plane while use the other hand controlling the rudder AND the speed at the same time.

Wish I had three hands so I could play easy mode LOL :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The ironic is that in "sim mode" it is easy to use the nose wheel and in game mode "easy mode" you will need to do it the difficult way by pressing the button using the mouse on the stick inside the plane while use the other hand controlling the rudder AND the speed at the same time.

Wish I had three hands so I could play easy mode LOL :)

Kind of ridiculous to make so few commands available in Game Mode.

• 4 months later...

Update on this problem?

I just tried to fly the craft for the first time, not knowing about until I crashed into a wall 3 times trying to get my nose wheel to turn.

has there been any kind of update on this being possible fixed? It is not possible to turn in this plane, especially being I don't have use of two arms fully to contort and use the method one user said he used.

Is this on the list for a fix?

Take it light...

Malakie

Buy Tobii Eye & Head Tracker with 5% off using link (https://www.kqzyfj.com/3r65ft1zt0GIHHKJOIILGILLMHKNL) - Use code at checkout: MALAKIEUSN 

Are you keeping the NWS button pressed when trying to turn?

Yep, no go.. the 'game' mode does not have any way to turn the nosewheel on the F5 aircraft... I spent a couple hours trying to get it to work.. I know someone said they found some convoluted multi hand way but due to military injuries I am unable to do that.. and there is no simple key stroke option to turn on or off the nosewheel etc...

Also, I cannot seem to get my Tobii 4c to function in the Beta either.... I need my 4c working!!

Take it light...

Malakie

Buy Tobii Eye & Head Tracker with 5% off using link (https://www.kqzyfj.com/3r65ft1zt0GIHHKJOIILGILLMHKNL) - Use code at checkout: MALAKIEUSN 

High speed ground handling in DCS: F-5E is problematic, a bit flawed, and kind of difficult. Especially on landing.

For departure, after centering on runway and raising oleo strut, turn NWS OFF, and use differential braking until 70knots, then use rudder untill lift-off.

On Landing.

On final, NWS OFF.

On touch down, use aero-breaking, and rudder.

On front gear touch down. Pop drag-chute. Keep NWS OFF. Use differential breaking and rudder until below 50 knots.

At 50 knots activate NWS, and keep chute. Release chute on a taxiway, and taxi to parking.

Gear breaks do not have NO SKID aka antilock breaks. If you press them more then 1/3 to 1/2 of amount, gear will lock and aircraft will skid out of control. Drag chute, IMHO, is the only way in this module to safely slow down to manageable ground speed.

There are two difficult to land fixed wing modules in DCS. F-5E and Mig-21bis.

High speed ground handling in DCS: F-5E is problematic, a bit flawed, and kind of difficult. Especially on landing.

For departure, after centering on runway and raising oleo strut, turn NWS OFF, and use differential braking until 70knots, then use rudder untill lift-off.

On Landing.

On final, NWS OFF.

On touch down, use aero-breaking, and rudder.

On front gear touch down. Pop drag-chute. Keep NWS OFF. Use differential breaking and rudder until below 50 knots.

At 50 knots activate NWS, and keep chute. Release chute on a taxiway, and taxi to parking.

Gear breaks do not have NO SKID aka antilock breaks. If you press them more then 1/3 to 1/2 of amount, gear will lock and aircraft will skid out of control. Drag chute, IMHO, is the only way in this module to safely slow down to manageable ground speed.

There are two difficult to land fixed wing modules in DCS. F-5E and Mig-21bis.

It is not the landing that's the issue right now.. It is actually trying to get out of the hardened hangar and turn onto the taxi way or even the runway.. You can't.

Take it light...

Malakie

I can use NWS steering at low speed but on takeoff I cant use differential breaking I tap till ---- freezes over nothing and when I try to control it with NWS i eventually end up doing a ground loop I have set curves dead zones all with no luck how do I control this to keep it straight down the runway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb