Any possibility for a Invincible class carrier? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #11
Lordzarj

The GR.7 and GR.9 are the NA equivalents, the GR.5 had no FLIR and was roughly the same as the base AV-8B other than the ECM and some avionics.

The GR.7 and 9 both flew off the Invincible class initially alongside the Sea Harrier FA.2 and after its retirement.
Lordzarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:33 PM   #12
Harlikwin
Veteran

Hm i thought the 9 had a radar and was more like the av8b+
Old 11-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #13
Lordzarj

No, none of the RAF Harriers ever had a radar, unless you count the altimeter of course

The Royal Navy Sea Harriers did, the Sea Harrier FA.2 had the Blue Vixen Radar and AMRAAM which was somewhat equivalent to the Plus in capability, but the airframe, wings etc. were from the original Harrier generation, there was also no TGP or FLIR so they were very different aircraft.

Sea Harrier FA.2

Harrier GR.9

Last edited by Lordzarj; 11-30-2019 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added images
Old 12-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #14
Richard Dastardly

The SHAR 2 radar was a properly developed AI radar - not sure if that had any A/G mode like the II+ ex-Hornet radar does, it certainly had look-down over land which was a long way in advance of the SHAR 1 radar which was a modified Seaspray anti-ship radar from the Lynx, of all things. It was only intended to spot larger targets & being originally anti-ship at least worked reasonably at sea... unfortunately it was very rushed. The SHAR 2 Blue Vixen radar became Typhoon's CAPTOR ( somewhat ), so I doubt we're seeing that anytime soon.

To round it up the Indian SHAR1s operating from ex-Hermes got upgraded with an Israeli AA/AG radar.

Reading a Falklands book at the moment ( Hostile Skies ), it seems the GR3 could laser designate - presumably with a fixed laser. I was always under the impression they could just receive, so did the GRx also have a spot designator?

Hermes mod is well worth a look - unfortunately you can't spawn on it yet though. Regardless of that it's another deck to fly off.

Edit: Blue Vixen did have air-to-surface capability.

Last edited by Richard Dastardly; 12-01-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Richard Dastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #15
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordzarj View Post
No, none of the RAF Harriers ever had a radar, unless you count the altimeter of course

The Royal Navy Sea Harriers did, the Sea Harrier FA.2 had the Blue Vixen Radar and AMRAAM which was somewhat equivalent to the Plus in capability, but the airframe, wings etc. were from the original Harrier generation, there was also no TGP or FLIR so they were very different aircraft.

Sea Harrier FA.2

Harrier GR.9

Thanks for enlightening me. I thought the at least one of the gr. versions was the sea harrier. Guess not
Old 12-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #16
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dastardly View Post
Hermes mod is well worth a look - unfortunately you can't spawn on it yet though. Regardless of that it's another deck to fly off.
Used to be able to spawn on it, did that change recently?
Old 12-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
Lordzarj

Quote:
Reading a Falklands book at the moment ( Hostile Skies ), it seems the GR3 could laser designate - presumably with a fixed laser. I was always under the impression they could just receive, so did the GRx also have a spot designator?
I don’t believe so, the device in the nose of the GR.3 was known as the Laser Ranger and Marked Target Seeker, so whilst it could emit it was only in terms of ranging as far as I am aware. It would be pretty inaccurate (and dangerous in combat) to have to point the whole aircraft at the target I would imagine. The marked target seeker would be somewhat like LSS on the ARBS although without the camera, perhaps Pave Penny on the A-10A is a better match. The LRMTS was also used on the Jaguar and Tornado.

I’ve read Hostile Skies but it was a while ago, how is it worded? I thought that all GBU drops in the Falklands were ground designated. Happy to be wrong on all counts though!

Edit: just found this looking for more info on LRMTS, it has nice details on the Falklands GBU drops and says they tried to guide the bombs with the laser ranger on one occasion but it wasn’t compatible with Paveway (you would think they would have known that beforehand).

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightP...20-%202627.PDF

Last edited by Lordzarj; 12-01-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #18
Richard Dastardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Used to be able to spawn on it, did that change recently?
Last few times I tried I've just fallen overboard on spawn, but admittedly I don't think I've tried since the last round of carrier fixes. Might have something to do with being in motion also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordzarj View Post
I don’t believe so, the device in the nose of the GR.3 was known as the Laser Ranger and Marked Target Seeker, so whilst it could emit it was only in terms of ranging as far as I am aware. It would be pretty inaccurate (and dangerous in combat) to have to point the whole aircraft at the target I would imagine. The marked target seeker would be somewhat like LSS on the ARBS although without the camera, perhaps Pave Penny on the A-10A is a better match. The LRMTS was also used on the Jaguar and Tornado.

I’ve read Hostile Skies but it was a while ago, how is it worded? I thought that all GBU drops in the Falklands were ground designated. Happy to be wrong on all counts though!

Edit: just found this looking for more info on LRMTS, it has nice details on the Falklands GBU drops and says they tried to guide the bombs with the laser ranger on one occasion but it wasn’t compatible with Paveway (you would think they would have known that beforehand).

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightP...20-%202627.PDF
Pointing the aircraft at the target isn't really any different to using unguided rockets, and back then don't forget most attacks were done at very low level so getting close to the target wasn't so frowned on as today ( in 1982 manpad threat was also tiny ); additionally the Harrier has the worlds best dive brake if you wanted to point from altitude! however yeah, they wanted to bomb Stanley from high level because of the local Roland system & weren't having any luck until they got some Paveway kits, reading between the lines they seem to have got the kits and what amounts to advertising blurb rather than a manual... I guess the thought process went "well, we have a laser on the aircraft, so..."

But yes, as compatible as the Ka-50 for us to have buddy lasing. Would have been an interesting if desperate field mod to make it compatible somehow :p
Old 12-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
joey45
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Last few times I tried I've just fallen overboard on spawn, but admittedly I don't think I've tried since the last round of carrier fixes. Might have something to do with being in motion also.

Thanks for telling me...
"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."
Please send all hate mail to No11
new AV8 livery USN style
joey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #20
Holbeach

The Harrier spawns on the Stbd quarter for me perfectly well and always has done.

Bow spawn for the 72 version or 4 choppers.

Holbeach is offline   Reply With Quote