Harrier worth half off?

Gwalker99

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pikey, just twist the INS knob to IFA, wait 2 minutes and fly.

No need for doing a sea or ground alignement with datacable or coordinate entry.

IIRC, the Harrier was released in EA on November 29th, so prepare your cake, we have a 2 year anniversary.

I DO!

It's when the INS knob gets moved through that setting. You saw how fast it crashed, it's instant.

I've never aligned since I realised IFA was all you needed. But you have to go through ALIGN to get there.

IIRC I can take off without touching it and flick it to IFA once in the air, but half the HUD is missing.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I DO!

It's when the INS knob gets moved through that setting. You saw how fast it crashed, it's instant.

I've never aligned since I realised IFA was all you needed. But you have to go through ALIGN to get there.

IIRC I can take off without touching it and flick it to IFA once in the air, but half the HUD is missing.

delete DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA and then do a repair. If you need the syntax let me know. Also, remove any mods, non DCS store aircraft, ect... Then test and see if it is repeatable. What you have going on is not a bug. There is something else going on. The INS knob to IFA has been working ever since they put in INS without issues.

Actually I just watched your startup. Flip to IFA before you do anything. See if that causes a crash. Also no reason to touch the efc, eng rpm or lids switch.

Edited by ddwg72

delete DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA and then do a repair. If you need the syntax let me know. Also, remove any mods, non DCS store aircraft, ect... Then test and see if it is repeatable. What you have going on is not a bug. There is something else going on. The INS knob to IFA has been working ever since they put in INS without issues.

Actually I just watched your startup. Flip to IFA before you do anything. See if that causes a crash. Also no reason to touch the efc, eng rpm or lids switch.

I understand you are trying to be helpful, but setting the switch to IFA before startup doesn't mean the bug is gone. It just means i'm able to get to IFA and can never do a sea alignment, which I used to be able to do. I also have to remember I can only startup in a certain way, or crash to desktop.

Now I'm not sure how that is not a software defect in your book. Or that I should have to start the aircraft on the ship without having the capacity to do a SEA alignment. In other words, I don't want a workaround, I had one. I don't see how avoiding using a sea alignment removes the bug. Pressing any button order in a cockpit should not crash the application to desktop.

I'm not sure if it's worth asking how you do it to avoid the crash, but it's not just me. Perhaps you missed the part about being on the Tarawa, or perhaps you set the button before turning something on, or perhaps its the data page.... it doesn't really matter. It's a bug, that can break the game. Feel free to reproduce it yourself. I've done enough work on it.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

... but please buy our next EA module that we promise will be released as complete, but in reality was rejected by ED QA on the first go, and allowed to proceed as a hot mess EA on the second. Half a year later still missing a pile of stuff.

er.. The MIG 19 all tho not perfect is quite on par with any other release so far, and it is mission capable and quite fun. no show stoppers here.

Not to defend anyone, but facts, are better than impressions ;)

I understand you are trying to be helpful, but setting the switch to IFA before startup doesn't mean the bug is gone. It just means i'm able to get to IFA and can never do a sea alignment, which I used to be able to do. I also have to remember I can only startup in a certain way, or crash to desktop.

Now I'm not sure how that is not a software defect in your book. Or that I should have to start the aircraft on the ship without having the capacity to do a SEA alignment. In other words, I don't want a workaround, I had one. I don't see how avoiding using a sea alignment removes the bug. Pressing any button order in a cockpit should not crash the application to desktop.

I'm not sure if it's worth asking how you do it to avoid the crash, but it's not just me. Perhaps you missed the part about being on the Tarawa, or perhaps you set the button before turning something on, or perhaps its the data page.... it doesn't really matter. It's a bug, that can break the game. Feel free to reproduce it yourself. I've done enough work on it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the last one who will find that hell of a bug pile or workarounds ok, but there seems really to be something messed up on your side.

Ok, I'm useing IFA all the time, but I don't get a CTF when turning the switch from off to IFA (over all other modes) when the turbine did already started up and the generator is running already.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

er.. The MIG 19 all tho not perfect is quite on par with any other release so far, and it is mission capable and quite fun. no show stoppers here.

Not to defend anyone, but facts, are better than impressions ;)

Well to be fair, I did just buy the mig19 at half off. But My VR headset is busted so I'm trying to learn it on the flat screen which well, sucks. I did manage to enter an unrecoverable flat spin at one point which is a positive mark for the FM at least. So we will see how functional it is.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

This is unfortunately all too common with Raz planes, and I agree with you,its probably a bug and it should get fixed properly, rather than using "duct tape fixes and workarounds". I haven't flown the harrier in a month or more, but your error wasn't something I encountered flying it online.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The Harrier is now (or tomorrow?) two years in early access.

There are more then plenty of bugs, I would say 90% not even aknowledged by Razbam, and countless missing functions. Some bugs are also 2 years old.

After developing a completely new module in the meantime, Razbam said that they have learned from their faults, that they have three independent teams working on the modules and that they are working full steam on finishing the Harrier, the Mig-19 and getting the M2K bugfree and on the level of recent DCS modules.

They also said, that they will touch nothing else until those three modules are finished.

The last update to the Harrier was two weeks ago and was really not worth mentioning.

Before that, the last update has been in the middle of July with fixing a few bugs. That is already 4 months ago.

Razbam, how is it planed to go on with the Harrier? At the moment, it feels abandoned (again).

Steam user - Youtube

Well you see, it is called troubleshooting. By switching to IFA before start, it would eliminate all the things you do during startup if it crashed. If it didn't then we would try engines only, add some more of the process next time, ect.. trying to isolate it down until we find it crashes. Then once we find the magic sequence, have a few other people try it. This helps with the bug report and to help the programmers know there is a repeatable problem and how to exactly replicate it. It is a process of narrowing down the problem so you can actually see what the problem is.

Right now there is no way to know is it a game bug or bad/corrupt file on your end, server or really anything.

Going back to the original topic.. yes it is well worth half off. A lot of people fly all the time and sure there are some minor bugs but nothing show stopping. It is also missing some really cool features I hope we get, but again nothing show stopping. Razbam does need to do a better job telling people when they fix bugs as they do fix stuff that they do not mention such as recently fixing the volume know to 0 after takeoff bug. There are also quite a few bugs that are process so far down into the systems the most pilots will never see and/or they do not matter such as alignment. You should be flying coupled with the GPS in IFA as they do in the fleet from what I hear now and thus alignment entering and drift do not matter. It should be fixed but no way a show stopping or bug even most pilots will ever see.

Try connecting ground power before you turn the knob to SEA. The Harrier is aligned with the help of the ships INS when at sea, which is simulated with the ground power connection in DCS. Guess somebody did not check if ground power is connected when it attempts to align using it. Create a bug report for this. It is a unique bug and not tied to the other INS CTD. Surprised nobody has found it before. But most of your other points are still valid.

It's brilliant. Easily my favourite jet. A lot to learn, and a bitch to master, but very rewarding. The learning curve is STEEP! but very rewarding once you start to get the hang of it. Highly recommended. The only downside is if you don't have rudder pedals, you kinda need them for VSTOL Ops., just like flying a chopper. If you don't have any, get some, it's worth the £100 or so investment as it adds another layer of immersion.

My first few weeks in the Harrier

I guess ignorance is bliss. I cant quite identify the bugs you guys are talking about. But it certainly has a few quirks that im trying to get used to.

It sure does seem to go non-ballistic occasionally, when the Kraken comes Snackin. For a while there i was putting her down in the water because no matter my speed the water would absorb me like jello.

Unfortunately, ive already begun to muddy my procedures and controls between the Warthog and the Harrier. So i get confused. IM not certain if im doing wrong procedures, if the module is buggy, or im flat out incorrect in application.

I originally was going to go with the Viggen.. but everyone said the same thing. "Organized Missions" and i dont have any multiplayer friends. Im limited to "Fast Mission" so.. as beautiful as the Viggen is i might go with something else for my 3rd mod.

So, after the beautiful Warthog, and the Harrier, what would YOU get? Fun and flyable .. and how polished and completed.. lol

A stroll through their respective subforums would answer your question. Too much effort or something? Older modules will lean more toward completion than newer ones. You can.even simply scroll through the products page. Top is new, bottom is old

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Where i can appreciate what youre saying, its not as anecdotal or linear as that.

For instance. I bought the Harrier. Love it. It was worth every cent, just for the Helicopter hunting alone.

However, if someone had told me that JDAMS are worthless, that JTAC in single player is worthless. Wouldve bought another plane. I fly without labels. Short loiter time, no JTAC, no Labels.. i have to get shot at before i can find half the targets.

i didnt read about that in the forums during my research, hell i asked a couple people directly and they failed to mention the JTAC/JDAM problem.

Plus.. people loove to complain. And if its about DCS i love to listen.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on. If you just want to gamble a little bit, you don't value quality so much and you also don't value the module's demands, then you can get hold of it. If this is not the case, I would personally advise you on products from ED, Heatblur, Deka Ironworks or Leatherneck.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

I think it is worth more than half off, it is a great plane and fun to fly and does things no other plane in DCS does. Does it have bugs? of course, but so does every aircraft, they work on them get it corrected and then they update DCS and here comes another raft of bugs, that's just the way it is.The fact that every new plane coming out will be more expensive, allows you to enjoy these sales all the more.

and does things no other plane in DCS does.

I mean you're half right.

Try it online, where you can't take off from a ship (unless you use hacks), and the FARPs are terrible and you have to basically use hacks to takeoff with a usefull load.

If you want to have a "a blast" & you don't give a dime about systems working in the right way & you just like it as long as you can drop bombs in whatever way....then it's worth it.

If you however want accuracy & true to RL AV8B modeled systems that actually uses RL AV8B SOP's.....then absolutely NOT.

Then take in account that it was supposed to be finished 1 year ago....

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

They are not talking about releasing one other module, tjey are talking about releasing three other modules + codeing the avionics for one external module also.

We'll see if they stick to their promise that nothing else will be touched until M2K, Harrier & Mirage are finished.

Steam user - Youtube

... until M2K, Harrier & Mirage are finished.

What's the difference between M2K and Mirage? :huh:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack