Harrier worth half off? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #21
norbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerriman View Post
Hi, just bought the harrier yesterday, its great to fly (played Av8b as a kid in the 90's!) but have no idea how to actually work it!!
where are the training missions or operational manual?
thanks

Click on TRAINING on the start-screen of DCS and then choose the AV8BNA. There's a lot of training missions for the Harrier.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #22
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2097 View Post
DMT is cool but can't be used with a ministick (bug).
Should read "is difficult to use with a ministick, currently", well at least I use it and though it is a bit jumpy and seems to only get input from one axis at a time, I can make it work. Alternative is to use a Hat-switch on the Warthog.

Quote:
F-18 (and F-16) also have Harms an echo Mavericks.
FLIR will also come to F-16 & 18. Function to align it is missing since ever...
...still no Sidearm and a lot of things are currently planned in DCS for the future not only for the F-16 and F/A-18. What's that to do with the current armament options of the Harrier.
The new FLIR/IR system in DCS is "missing" aka in development since forever, as well. Likely the reason, why Razbam builds it's current on the limitations of the a available DCS engine?

Quote:
There are a lot "showstopper" bugs, if you haven't run into one, you are not flying it long enough.
Yes, we understand you have a personal gripe with Razbam, as they don't treat you with the attention you deserve, but it is interesting that so many, many people still are able to work around the "showstoppers" for quite a while and not only that, but have tremendous fun and fly successful sorties in the AV-8B N/A Harrier II, especially after Razbam released all these updates and new implementations over the last year.
As for "not flying it long enough" statement: You will find bugs/issues/inaccuracies even in the Ka-50, A-10C or any other Module, if you fly it long enough and test thoroughly, until you notice... That's nothing special to the Harrier.
In my personal opinion, the AV-8B N/A Harrier II is a unique aircraft that is well represented in DCS and though still in EA and not everything is bugfree or 100% implemented, it is a good choice if you love ground attack/CAS operations. With the addition of JDAM planned by Razbam in the near future (look for the dev videos) the Harrier will be a great module combining the CAS aspects of the A-10 with unique USMC Carrier ops from the Tarawa in the only VSTOL airplane in DCS.
Worth the price? Definitely!

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #23
Bagpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
Should read "is difficult to use with a ministick, currently", well at least I use it and though it is a bit jumpy and seems to only get input from one axis at a time, I can make it work. Alternative is to use a Hat-switch on the Warthog.

...still no Sidearm and a lot of things are currently planned in DCS for the future not only for the F-16 and F/A-18. What's that to do with the current armament options of the Harrier.
The new FLIR/IR system in DCS is "missing" aka in development since forever, as well. Likely the reason, why Razbam builds it's current on the limitations of the a available DCS engine?

Yes, we understand you have a personal gripe with Razbam, as they don't treat you with the attention you deserve, but it is interesting that so many, many people still are able to work around the "showstoppers" for quite a while and not only that, but have tremendous fun and fly successful sorties in the AV-8B N/A Harrier II, especially after Razbam released all these updates and new implementations over the last year.
As for "not flying it long enough" statement: You will find bugs/issues/inaccuracies even in the Ka-50, A-10C or any other Module, if you fly it long enough and test thoroughly, until you notice... That's nothing special to the Harrier.
In my personal opinion, the AV-8B N/A Harrier II is a unique aircraft that is well represented in DCS and though still in EA and not everything is bugfree or 100% implemented, it is a good choice if you love ground attack/CAS operations. With the addition of JDAM planned by Razbam in the near future (look for the dev videos) the Harrier will be a great module combining the CAS aspects of the A-10 with unique USMC Carrier ops from the Tarawa in the only VSTOL airplane in DCS.
Worth the price? Definitely!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

ROG Strix B450F, Ryzen 3700x, RTX 2070Super, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, SSD, T-Master HOTAS
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6-..._as=subscriber
https://twitter.com/BagpipeFlying
Bagpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #24
Cornelius

Quote:

Yes, we understand you have a personal gripe with Razbam,
[...]

No, it's not usable. Maybe only, if you're a Fanboy/Whiteknight. Then you suffer with joy. But normal customers just want it to work.
I wouldn't buy it again the way it goes at the moment and for a long time. I would be really mad if I had paid the full price
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #25
viper2097

Quote:
What's that to do with the current armament options of the Harrier.
I just wanted to correct this statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twicedead View Post
  • Unique (for DCS) weapons like the Sidearm anti radiation missile and laser guided Echo maverick. The echo maverick is really interesting to use as a stand off weapon.
  • Other unique features like FLIR overlay on the HUD for night operations (I know it's slightly misaligned due ta bug or otherwise, but it's still cool and useful for target aquisition).
Its just not true that those features are unique.
Nothing more I said:
Quote:
F-18 (and F-16) also have Harms an echo Mavericks.
FLIR will also come to F-16 & 18. Function to align it is missing since ever...
I wrote no personal opinon in that thread. On the contrary, I even adviced the OP to build his own opinon.
Quote:
Build your own opinion about the devs and then make a decision.
Everything else will always be subjective and not objective.
Quote:
You can have a personal opinion from me if you like, but that has nothing to do with anything like that I would get not enough personal attention as you are saying:
The Harrier is longer in EA then most other modules.
The Harrier has more show stopping bugs then all other modules together. (Take a look in the bug sections, maybe you need some reminder if you haven't flown it a longer time...)
Bug reports are ignored over years.
A complete other module was developed and released in between.
Since July (4 months) there are no updates on the Harrier.
I would strongly advice to not buy it until all bugs are fixed and it is complete.
Not because its a bad aircraft, I have hundreds of hours in it and a lot of fun.
But because of the points written above.

Last edited by viper2097; 11-04-2019 at 10:22 PM.
viper2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #26
Nemesis44UK

Hi,

I'm interested in buying this, but can anyone tell me how it runs?

I have an old system - i5-3570k, 16GB RAM and a GTX1060 6GB. I'd be running it in 1080p.

Black Shark 2 and A10 run quite nicely for me, but I'm aware that they are quite old in comparison.

Many thanks, in advance,
Old 11-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #27
TomCatGoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis44UK View Post
Hi,

I'm interested in buying this, but can anyone tell me how it runs?

I have an old system - i5-3570k, 16GB RAM and a GTX1060 6GB. I'd be running it in 1080p.

Black Shark 2 and A10 run quite nicely for me, but I'm aware that they are quite old in comparison.

Many thanks, in advance,
I have a slightly newer system then you but not hugely.

4790k and a 1070. Run at 5760x1080 and it runs lovely. I have found that all the aircraft run very similarly to each other.
TomCatGoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #28
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
I just wanted to correct this statement:

Its just not true that those features are unique.
Nothing more I said:

I wrote no personal opinon in that thread. On the contrary, I even adviced the OP to build his own opinon.

You can have a personal opinion from me if you like, but that has nothing to do with anything like that I would get not enough personal attention as you are saying:
The Harrier is longer in EA then most other modules.
The Harrier has more show stopping bugs then all other modules together. (Take a look in the bug sections, maybe you need some reminder if you haven't flown it a longer time...)
Bug reports are ignored over years.
A complete other module was developed and released in between.
Since July (4 months) there are no updates on the Harrier.
I would strongly advice to not buy it until all bugs are fixed and it is complete.
Not because its a bad aircraft, I have hundreds of hours in it and a lot of fun.
But because of the points written above.
"Showstopper (in development): Any impediment that prevents all further progress; especially a software bug that must be fixed before any further development is possible.“

THAT is what you are saying and it's simply not true! I am sure you do not deliberately try to give false statement, but likely were not aware of the meaning.
Still for native speakers this is heavily misleading.
The Harrier has bugs, and is in EA for a long time as is the C-101, both due to the fact both were going through major version changes of the DCS World API. In case of the C-101 it is even far longer, but as you are not interested in the C-101 you are likely not aware how long...
The bugs it has are not more or more critical than other modules, they are just better documented and openly discussed.
Another important fact is Razbam unlike other 3rd parties did go in recess and looked at the issues, acted accordingly and fixed a lot of the old bugs and finished the majority of open systems. They even go forward and implement features that were not part of the original plan (JDAM).
I don't know why you are so hostile and seemingly want Razbam to fail.
I want them to succeed and get the AV-8B Harrier finished and love that they still are open to add new stuff, despite the constant negativity.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #29
viper2097

If you say that the bugs on the Harrier are not more, and / or not more critical then on other modules, you are clearly not useing the Harrier. Or you maybe only fly a little bit around with it.
CTD, not working hardware inputs and systems that just stop working are showstoppers. Or tell me how you can drop that GBU when you can't slew the Tpod, then it won't laser and oh, I forgot, you won't get that far because you get a CTD already on aligning.
So lets try the siderms in the next step. Oh, they are not going off the rail. God knows why.
If I may give you an advice: Fly the Harrier exclusively for one or two weeks. With all it systems and possibilities. Then we talk again about show stopping bugs.
Oh, I forgot, Razbam also move bug reports to the resolved section even they are not fixed for years.without any comment.

As I don't own the C101, I can't say anything about that module.

And you are makeing a big mistake:.I don't want to see them fail. I want to see them getting their a** up and fix / finish their module.
Once again: 4 months since the last update!
So what should we do? Applaud them? For playing tricks on their paying customers?
The most nice thing I can say about RB is that the OP should build his own opinion. And that was what I did.

Last edited by viper2097; 11-05-2019 at 12:22 PM.
viper2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #30
TomCatGoad

Quote:
If you say that the bugs on the Harrier are not more, and / or not more critical then on other modules, you are clearly not useing the Harrier. Or you maybe only fly a little bit around with it.
CTD, not working hardware inputs and systems that just stop working are showstoppers. Or tell me how you can drop that GBU when you can't slew the Tpod, then it won't laser and oh, I forgot, you won't get that far because you get a CTD already on aligning.
So lets try the siderms in the next step. Oh, they are not going off the rail. God knows why.
If I may give you an advice: Fly the Harrier exclusively for one or two weeks. With all it systems and possibilities. Then we talk again about show stopping bugs.
Oh, I forgot, Razbam also move bug reports to the resolved section even they are not fixed for years.without any comment.

As I don't own the C101, I can't say anything about that module.

And you are makeing a big mistake:.I don't want to see them fail. I want to see them getting their a** up and fix / finish their module.
Once again: 4 months since the last update!
So what should we do? Applaud them? For playing tricks on their paying customers?
The most nice thing I can say about RB is that the OP should build his own opinion. And that was what I did.
Both the issues you gave as examples I have never had an issue with although you and others may have.

I find the harrier is on par with many of the other modules, all the planes have there bugs. Most of the planes are early access. Razbam may not be as forward with what they are currently upto but I'm sure they are always working.

You do seem to be the kind of person who digs as deep as they can to find any big you can, then you jump up and down demanding attention from the development team. Props to you for looking and rasing bugs but attacking the team constantly isn't maybe the most mature way of approaching the situation.

Why don't we stay in topic rather then launching at the Devs again.

For me for half price the harrier is well worth it. It's fair enough though development that it can do nearly any task, it has its usp if VTOL. And just is great fun to fly.

Last edited by TomCatGoad; 11-05-2019 at 12:49 PM.
TomCatGoad is offline   Reply With Quote