DCS: MiG-23MLA by RAZBAM - Page 87 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #861
Harlikwin
Veteran
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Living rent free in your mind
Posts: 4,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bies View Post
Cold War combat is more interesting anyway.
I was just gonna post that, but I was gonna use the word "fun".

No Fox3's basically means you're gonna get 1 shot off with an Aim-7 or whatever right before the merge, and then... You actually have to dogfight! A horrible though for the spamraam crew I'm sure, but as it turns out its great fun! Even better if you only have rear aspect AAM's, ZOMG you have to "get behind" a bandit to kill him (and vice versa).

The biggest disappointment recently for me in DCS is the mysterious announcement that "something" else will come before the F4E. We really need more 60s and 70's cold war bluefor, the only things on the distant horizon are the F8J, Mirage F1, and the delayed again F4E.
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #862
TLTeo
Member
 
TLTeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
It's a bit like music. 60's, 70's, 80's rock, then it gets cheesy, bleepy and written by a computer.

How dare you?! 80s music is GLORIOUSLY cheesy!


I do agree though. Flinging AMRAAMs is occasionally fun and all, but definitely isn't as fun as fox1/rear aspect fox2 combat.
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #863
Eldur
Senior Member
 
Eldur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: On a fluffy cloud above Ponyville
Posts: 2,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
QFT

Not that I hate modern avionics, but older planes are more honest and the further back you go, the less guessing on weapons and avionics and radar secrets have to be made.
It's a bit like music. 60's, 70's, 80's rock, then it gets cheesy, bleepy and written by a computer.
QFT

I do like the modern stuff (especially since the sensor stuff helps me overcome my Eyeball Mk Ib issues), but I still prefer classic things like the Tornado GR.1, EE Lightning, Century series, MiG-23 and alike - the ones that were in the airspace in the 60s thru 80s. They just have class and style. Just like the music back then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
The biggest disappointment recently for me in DCS is the mysterious announcement that "something" else will come before the F4E.
Where did you pick up that? I hope it's gonna be a 104
__________________

Last edited by Eldur; 12-03-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Eldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #864
Banzaiib
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
I was just gonna post that, but I was gonna use the word "fun".

No Fox3's basically means you're gonna get 1 shot off with an Aim-7 or whatever right before the merge, and then... You actually have to dogfight! A horrible though for the spamraam crew I'm sure, but as it turns out its great fun! Even better if you only have rear aspect AAM's, ZOMG you have to "get behind" a bandit to kill him (and vice versa).

The biggest disappointment recently for me in DCS is the mysterious announcement that "something" else will come before the F4E. We really need more 60s and 70's cold war bluefor, the only things on the distant horizon are the F8J, Mirage F1, and the delayed again F4E.
100% agree... I'm really saddened that the DCS F-16 wont be able to fire AIM-7's for this very reason...
Banzaiib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #865
AeriaGloria
Senior Member
 
AeriaGloria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: LA
Posts: 1,295
Default

That one is Pierre Spreys fault

(I personally think his involvement is overstated, but maybe the “fighter mafia” was a much larger group then we think)

That will be one of the best things of the MLA. Even on the Cold War server, we would be running a quad tiered higher high low lower mix of MiGs. Great fun
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #866
Harlikwin
Veteran
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Living rent free in your mind
Posts: 4,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldur View Post
QFT

Where did you pick up that? I hope it's gonna be a 104
It was something wags said in a recent video at some point or maybe in one of the weekend updates. He said an "eagerly" anticipated module would hit before the F4E. My guess its a modernish mig29 or su27, some others though it might be an Eagle since wags likes word play. I hope its not just another boring blue uberfighter though.
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Last edited by Harlikwin; 12-03-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #867
Harlikwin
Veteran
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Living rent free in your mind
Posts: 4,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzaiib View Post
100% agree... I'm really saddened that the DCS F-16 wont be able to fire AIM-7's for this very reason...
I mean really in that time frame the F16 really couldn't. The 16A never had em aside from some euro MLU upgrades, and the early 16C's to my knoweldge didn't either since they were just waiting for the AAMRAM. I'd love to see an early F16A in game though, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not sure you could nerf our block 50 enough to fit on a cold war server though. A/A maybe, you just leave it with 9M/L's. AG wise you'd have to leave it with dumb bombs, and maybe GBU's without the Tpod. Get you some iron eagle! The radar and JHMC's and datalink etc would still give it major advantages over the 80's era F16's though. Unless you can disable specific systems in server settings.
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #868
jojo
Veteran
 
jojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: France
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bies View Post
Cold War combat is more interesting anyway.
Amen
__________________
Mirage fanatic !
I7 7700K/ MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X/ RAM 32 Go 2400 Hz/ SSD Samsung 850 EVO/ Saitek X-55 + MFG Crosswind + Rift S
Flickr gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #869
jojo
Veteran
 
jojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: France
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
I mean really in that time frame the F16 really couldn't. The 16A never had em aside from some euro MLU upgrades, and the early 16C's to my knoweldge didn't either since they were just waiting for the AAMRAM. I'd love to see an early F16A in game though, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not sure you could nerf our block 50 enough to fit on a cold war server though. A/A maybe, you just leave it with 9M/L's. AG wise you'd have to leave it with dumb bombs, and maybe GBU's without the Tpod. Get you some iron eagle! The radar and JHMC's and datalink etc would still give it major advantages over the 80's era F16's though. Unless you can disable specific systems in server settings.
F-16A Block 15 "ADF"

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article14.html



That would be fun !

This one even carry both AIM-7 and AIM-120 !

__________________
Mirage fanatic !
I7 7700K/ MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X/ RAM 32 Go 2400 Hz/ SSD Samsung 850 EVO/ Saitek X-55 + MFG Crosswind + Rift S
Flickr gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Last edited by jojo; 12-03-2019 at 11:17 PM.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #870
Fri13
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Even better if you only have rear aspect AAM's, ZOMG you have to "get behind" a bandit to kill him (and vice versa).
Even with the oldest missiles in DCS, I don't find that at all the case.

That is why I think missiles are completely broken in DCS as one can use those oldest missiles almost from any angle. Only check that the missile has enough range to start turning and you get hits in head-on, sideways, above and below etc.

All the missiles seekers are perfect to find targets, track targets and perfectly steady.

Like look at the training pods. There ain't any gimbal limits, no shaking, no sleeving jittery etc that you see in the real videos, where steady flying aircraft needs to correct the aiming and keep it in target etc.

I was just yesterday as a "fireball" coming down in Hornet. In a nice flat spin with random oscillation. And the Targeting pod was just perfectly aiming the Tunguska that shot me down, the aircraft performed maybe a 270 degree per second and to avoid getting sea sick in VR, it is better to concentrate to something steady, and that TGP video is such.
Same thing is in F-16C etc. All the targeting pods are just perfect.

What comes to missiles seekers, they are likely as well perfect. The seeker finds the target right away when going active, like there ain't any search pattern to perform and trying to validate what would be correct target. And yet with so tiny FOV the missiles has, they perfectly know in the instance that where the target is flying at, while the missile itself should be waving around like a sidewinder, really never flying so straight at first.

That is something that for me, takes away in the "cold war" immersion how effective the missiles are from all eras.
__________________
i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.
i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:02 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.