F-15E? - Page 135 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #1341
RShackleford

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojyrocks View Post
So...um Which engine are we getting?

Hoping its the powerful one...
I don't see any reason for them to use the -220 vs. the -229. I think most of the DCS community would ditch the module if they had a jet that refuses to go supersonic under 30,000ft (unless it's the hawg, of course.)

But still, don't expect going supersonic with a full bomb load to be the norm. Also don't expect to BFM a flanker and win. The thing is a pig compared to the C model.
RShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #1342
bies

If I remember well they planned including both engine types

Yeah, with 220 could be a bit underpowered when howling bombs on CFTs.
But variant with 229, or even better GE. With CFT dismounted. In light AA configuration. This could be a rocket.
bies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:41 AM   #1343
AeriaGloria

Yeah, if the CFT can be dismounted. I wouldn’t count on it. Those things seem to stay on
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:00 PM   #1344
Demongornot

I don't recall seeing any pictures (never saw any in real life as I am not in the US) of the F-15E without its CFT, there is too much advantages as the plane is mainly made for bombing and attacking rather than fighting anyway, so they don't need the additional maneuverability or thrust to weight, the CFT also give additional pylons and they are really aerodynamic, meaning turn one of the best dogfighter into a fierce strike aircraft, and nowadays there are almost no dogfights, at least for the US, so they don't need that, mainly considering that anyway they have the F-22 if they need to really goes extreme on aerial combat.

It is a little like a lighter transformation of the F-15D than the SU-27/30 to the SU-34, btw I would love to see both F-15E and SU-34 dogfight, two fighters rebuilded/transformed to blow everything on the ground that
meet on the sky.
If they want to be realistic they could make the CFT removable, but it would be too OP to see F-15E without CFT loaded with AMRAAM on multiplayers, because of that alone, they might not make them removable.
@AeriaGloria they can in real life !
The best image showing them unfitted come from Wikipedia :

In fact they can even be mounted on the F-15A/B/C/D, here is a quote and an image :
Quote:
The Eagle's conformal fuel tanks, also known as "FAST packs," have been around almost as long as the F-15 itself, first being test flown in 1974. I wrote all about the Eagle's CFTs and their origin in a past feature about how the Israeli Air Force has modified the F-15 since early on for its unique needs, stating:
Quote:
"One of the features that the F-15E would be built with was conformal fuel tanks, otherwise known as “FAST Packs,” as in Fuel And Sensor Tactical Packs. These flank hugging 849 gallon tanks were not new to the F-15 with the advent of the Strike Eagle, in fact they were envisioned as an option for the F-15C/D and even retrofittable to the A and B models early on, with the first test flight being flown with them attached to an Eagle in the mid 1970s. They were envisioned to carry everything from fuel to cargo, although the majority of these concepts never made it to fruition."

And here are two pictures of F-15C (the first might be a D, I can't tell from the front) with CFT :

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.
Demongornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:39 PM   #1345
AeriaGloria

Thanks! Pretty optimistic, I laughed at augmented thrust, gun pod, spray tanks, wow
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #1346
Rainmaker

C/Ds use “fast packs”, same principal just internally designed a little differently.

E’s can fly without CFTs. It’s still done, at times, but it’s not a wartime config. There’s a lot more underlying limitations that most just won’t understand. Have to install a few additional fairings, vortex generators on the airframe, etc...but that’s getting a bit into the weeds.
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:11 AM   #1347
Rainmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShackleford View Post
I don't see any reason for them to use the -220 vs. the -229. I think most of the DCS community would ditch the module if they had a jet that refuses to go supersonic under 30,000ft (unless it's the hawg, of course.)

But still, don't expect going supersonic with a full bomb load to be the norm. Also don't expect to BFM a flanker and win. The thing is a pig compared to the C model.
Don’t let that desert summer heat get ya down man! Could be worse...like Bagram.
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #1348
Raisuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeriaGloria View Post
Thanks! Pretty optimistic, I laughed at augmented thrust, gun pod, spray tanks, wow

Spray tanks? I could see where the areal application of Prozac could be useful in certain geographic areas...
Old 12-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #1349
Notso

Hi all, sorry - very late to the thread. Any updates on the possibility of getting a Mudhen hi-fidelity module? Or is it still just vaporware at this point? TIA.
Notso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #1350
HankCzinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisuli View Post
Spray tanks? I could see where the areal application of Prozac could be useful in certain geographic areas...
DCS: CROP DUSTING module will take it to next level.
HankCzinaski is offline   Reply With Quote