Which Jet for a lover of ground pounding?

Sholtz

That's right! Anyone can point and shoot a maverick, how about manual bombing?

Load up the A-10C with 12 MK-82s or some rocket pods and CCIP to your hearts content. You don't have to use the Mavericks - but you can ;)

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

It's hard to argue against the A-10C. It's polished and very usable in the DCS environment. It has alot of different weapons and ALOT of content to go through.

The Harrier has great potential, but it's too early to recommend it over the A-10C (lots of systems not implemented yet).

I find the Viggen to be alot of fun. It looks awesome (inside and outside), it has that cold war feel and a lot of unique qualities and weapons. I think the reworked manual and mini-campaign should be here soon too. Hopefully also an english cockpit (for the non-swedes).

A-10C if you want to stay over the battlefield for more than a few minutes - it has endurance. Harrier if you want to strike once and get out quickly.

Your best approach is to study the real things and their specific roles. They'll be doing the same in DCS World.

Just remember that the Harrier s very new, so it lacks some essential systems right now, but that ought to change over the coming weeks and months.

Then of course there is the F/A-18C - but that's a whole different matter, and it is yet to be released.

Add into the mix either conventional airfield operations, unprepared strips or carrier operations and you have a few difficult decisions to make. Or just get the lot and have even more fun!

Load up the A-10C with 12 MK-82s or some rocket pods and CCIP to your hearts content. You don't have to use the Mavericks - but you can ;)

That's what I mean. The fun of the L-39 is the lack of CCIP and even a rangefinder. You have to use the reticle to measure distance, and actually calculate the fictious target base yourself if you want to be accurate.

And that's not to mention the strict flying parameters!

[sIGPIC][url=http://www.blacksharkden.com][/url][/sIGPIC]

http://www.blacksharkden.com

"Come join us" - Bad Religion

The Viggen is the other good ground strike aircraft that I would recommend. It isn't as versatile, and it's intended for pre-planned strikes on known targets, and it carries fewer weapons and a smaller payload

On a more serious note, though, it's a bit more limited in its weaponry and capabilities, although it does have ground mapping radar and radar-guided anti-ship missiles, which is unique to the Viggen (for now, at least)

The Viggen is a better dogfighter and interceptor... ;)

Seriously, I think the A10 is one of the LEAST versatile combat aircraft in today's world. It can only do CAS. It can do so very well, and with a lot of different weapons for a lot of different targets, but still I wouldn't call it versatile.

The Viggen on the other hand CAN do nearly all conceivable missions, including A2A, although it's clearly better in some things compared to other things.

And at least Swedish is easier for English speakers than Russian...

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

The Viggen is a better dogfighter and interceptor... ;)

Seriously, I think the A10 is one of the LEAST versatile combat aircraft in today's world. It can only do CAS. It can do so very well, and with a lot of different weapons for a lot of different targets, but still I wouldn't call it versatile.

The Viggen on the other hand CAN do nearly all conceivable missions, including A2A, although it's clearly better in some things compared to other things.

And at least Swedish is easier for English speakers than Russian...

Sure, but Sholtz asked about wanting aircraft specifically for air to ground combat. And when it comes to air to ground combat, the A-10C really is the most versatile. It can use a wide variety of guided and unguided munitions, including multiple different seeker head and warhead sizes for the AGM-65, multiple different types of warheads for unguided rockets, WCMD cluster munitions, laser and GPS guided bombs with the ability to buddy lase, and probably others that I'm forgetting. And it has a fully-functional DSMS to let pilots reprogram the various weapons profiles on the fly. The only things that it can't carry are ARM missiles and anti-ship missiles. It also has a very good targeting pod, the ability to carry a heavy payload, and long loiter time, which makes it great for just going out and hunting down every ground target around. Basically if it's on the ground and it is not buried in a hardened fallout shelter, the A-10C will find it and destroy it.

So for air to ground combat, the A-10C is definitely the most versatile jet in DCS. The Viggen is another very good choice for ground attacks, and it is superior for anti-ship missions. But its ground attack profile is primarily intended for pre-planned strikes with specific routes to the target, flown fast and low. I love skimming above the treetops and I've even had to limit myself to never flying the Interdiction mission after a certain hour of the night because the adrenaline rush makes it hard to get to sleep. But the Viggen is a jet designed for a very specific set of ground strikes, and it is not very good for CAS specifically. The A-10C is designed for CAS but it is also able to carry out almost any ground strike except for SEAD (and even then, it's more than capable of hunting and destroying mobile vehicle-based AAA and SAMs).

It's not a matter of which aircraft is better, just a question of what will be the most fun for Sholtz based on what he wrote about what he enjoys doing.

The other aircraft worth mentioning is the F-5E, since it's a true multirole aircraft. The downside is that it doesn't have guided munitions or a TGP, just unguided bombs and rockets, and it doesn't even have CCIP or CCRP assistance. On the other hand, it's great for getting back to basics in terms of relying on radio navigation and being forced to get the proper speed and angle and releasing at the right altitude in a dive. But since Sholtz mentioned that he already has the P-51, he can already do old-school bombing runs.

I own the A-10C, The Viggen and the Harrier. Clear favorite is the Hog (A-10C).

It's not only the completeness of air-to-ground capabilities but also the quality and scope of documentation, missions and campaigns, plus excellent training missions.

I bought the Viggen (early access) in January this year, and the manual hasn't made any progress since then, illustrations of poor quality and many missing pictures. Hope it will evolve to the quality level of the A-10C but has a long way to go.

Harrier is still in very early state and, like the Viggen, has a long way to go.

With the A-10C it's all there right now for AG. But don't try to engage a fighter and if one is going for you, run!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Sure, but Sholtz asked about wanting aircraft specifically for air to ground combat. And when it comes to air to ground combat, the A-10C really is the most versatile. It can use a wide variety of guided and unguided munitions, including multiple different seeker head and warhead sizes for the AGM-65, multiple different types of warheads for unguided rockets, WCMD cluster munitions, laser and GPS guided bombs with the ability to buddy lase, and probably others that I'm forgetting. And it has a fully-functional DSMS to let pilots reprogram the various weapons profiles on the fly. The only things that it can't carry are ARM missiles and anti-ship missiles. It also has a very good targeting pod, the ability to carry a heavy payload, and long loiter time, which makes it great for just going out and hunting down every ground target around. Basically if it's on the ground and it is not buried in a hardened fallout shelter, the A-10C will find it and destroy it.

So for air to ground combat, the A-10C is definitely the most versatile jet in DCS. The Viggen is another very good choice for ground attacks, and it is superior for anti-ship missions. But its ground attack profile is primarily intended for pre-planned strikes with specific routes to the target, flown fast and low. I love skimming above the treetops and I've even had to limit myself to never flying the Interdiction mission after a certain hour of the night because the adrenaline rush makes it hard to get to sleep. But the Viggen is a jet designed for a very specific set of ground strikes, and it is not very good for CAS specifically. The A-10C is designed for CAS but it is also able to carry out almost any ground strike except for SEAD (and even then, it's more than capable of hunting and destroying mobile vehicle-based AAA and SAMs).

It's not a matter of which aircraft is better, just a question of what will be the most fun for Sholtz based on what he wrote about what he enjoys doing.

The other aircraft worth mentioning is the F-5E, since it's a true multirole aircraft. The downside is that it doesn't have guided munitions or a TGP, just unguided bombs and rockets, and it doesn't even have CCIP or CCRP assistance. On the other hand, it's great for getting back to basics in terms of relying on radio navigation and being forced to get the proper speed and angle and releasing at the right altitude in a dive. But since Sholtz mentioned that he already has the P-51, he can already do old-school bombing runs.

I agree with you, that the A-10C is the most versatile aircraft in DCS currently regarding A-G weaponry and systems, but not regarding A-G missions.

The A-10C is pretty much limited to CAS only. Maybe some battlefield air interdiction (BAI) if the there is total air superiority like in the Gulf Wars. But that's really about it.

The Viggen on the other hand, can't do CAS very well, but it can do pretty much all other type of A-G missions except SEAD, like air interdiction (meaning strike and even deep strike missions) as well as anti-shipping and even has a limited air intercept capability.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The other aircraft worth mentioning is the F-5E, since it's a true multirole aircraft. The downside is that it doesn't have guided munitions or a TGP, just unguided bombs and rockets,

It has laser guided bombs, but needs somone to lase.

I picked up the A10. Really want the Harrier but figure it can wait a bit while they add more features.

Or I may just give myself a present and get it anyway :) Will see ...

So far so good, a lot of this is familiar to me from Falcon BMS. At first the HUD was unreadable but I found some links to modify and its much better now.

Have not done much beyond a few training missions but am looking forward to moving some mud soon! :joystick:

I picked up the A10. Really want the Harrier but figure it can wait a bit while they add more features.

Or I may just give myself a present and get it anyway :) Will see ...

So far so good, a lot of this is familiar to me from Falcon BMS. At first the HUD was unreadable but I found some links to modify and its much better now.

Have not done much beyond a few training missions but am looking forward to moving some mud soon! :joystick:

Thanks for letting us know what came out of this :)

Buying the the A-10C is never wrong :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Grrr I could have waited a couple of days and gotten 6o% off!!!

No harrier sale...

That was bad timing indeed...

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's surprising how few people go for the SU-25T considering that it is free.

It's quite a blast launching Vikhr after vikhr missile at a tank column.

The only thing against it imo, is the non clickable cockpit, but a decent HOTAS or extra keyboard/MFD can negate that problem.

Yeah, the a-10 is great, but it's amost too easy. Harrier is fun - but lots of stuff missing. If you want a real challenge, try the SU-25A...