P-51D Extra Manifold Pressure

Magic Zach

I heard a while ago from people, NOT posts from the ED team or whatnot, that the P-51 was planned to get some extra manifold pressure after the release of Normandy. Is this true? Any word? I don't think there's much (if anything) left to do to the map, so stop typing a reply about it for a moment. I'm simply asking if it's true, and if there is an estimate for when we get it, if at all.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

EXCELLENT!!

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by the length between the announcement and when it would be released, given the history of Eagle Dynamics...

What else do you know about it? Would this update replicate the Mustang getting a different engine, or just a modification that was done to the same engine later in the war, or? Also, what kind of engine does the Mustang in DCS currently have? Packard Merlin V-1650-7?

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

EXCELLENT!!

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by the length between the announcement and when it would be released, given the history of Eagle Dynamics...

What else do you know about it? Would this update replicate the Mustang getting a different engine, or just a modification that was done to the same engine later in the war, or? Also, what kind of engine does the Mustang in DCS currently have? Packard Merlin V-1650-7?

Two changes were made to attain higher manifold pressure:

1. Squadrons were issued fuel with a higher octane rating.

2. The Boost controller device on the engine was adjusted to a higher maximum manifold pressure.

And that's all they did! Well, they probably also issued some technical instructions to pilots and ground crew regarding use of these new settings (be careful not to blow up the engine, etc).

Two changes were made to attain higher manifold pressure:

1. Squadrons were issued fuel with a higher octane rating.

2. The Boost controller device on the engine was adjusted to a higher maximum manifold pressure.

And that's all they did! Well, they probably also issued some technical instructions to pilots and ground crew regarding use of these new settings (be careful not to blow up the engine, etc).

So, were the aircraft still WEP capable, and we're their adjustments to the cooling system of the Mustang? Also, what was the max manifold pressure on those?

If the octane rating was changed, what is the octane for the DCS: Mustang right now, and what would it be changed to? If I remember right, if your textures are on high, you can read 100-130 Octane next to the fuel caps...or maybe that was the Spitfire...or both? I can't bloody remember!

Raise the MAP limit cannot cause the aircraft be no longer WEP-capable, by definition. Raising the MAP limit makes it more WEP-capable. The factory WEP rating was 67". The highest officially authorized WEP rating I've seen for the P-51 was 72." This appears to have been standard later in the war. There is good reason to believe that P-51s regularly ran at 75", but I've been unable to confirm that this was ever officially authorized.

As far as I know, no modifications were made to the cooling system. Thus, the best use of the additional WEP would be at high speed, to increase maximum speed, rather than at low speed, to increase maneuverability.

Got a source?

I know we're getting an older block P-51D, I don't recall reading anything about extra boost too.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=165068&highlight=mustang+update

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179832&highlight=mustang+boost

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170568

No definit answer but as said, they are looking into it.

I remember there was also a post out there that stated, our Pony might get a small GPS device.

Yus! Graphs! This is what I want!

• 1 month later...
Since Normandy is still alpha. Can you say it's been released yet?

Our current post-war P-51D was released years ago, but the DCS: WWII wartime P-51D has not yet been released. Evidently, our current version is a post-war combination of blocks which isn't appropriate to Normandy. As the ED rep mentioned in the other threads linked a few posts back, they have plans to amend this problem.

Edited by Echo38

Our current post-war P-51D was released years ago, but the DCS: WWII wartime P-51D has not yet been released. Evidently, our current version is a post-war combination of blocks which isn't appropriate to Normandy. As the ED rep mentioned in the other threads linked a few posts back, they have plans to amend this problem.

Our current P-51D is not post war, its from 1945, Pacific configuration P-51D30.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

• 3 weeks later...
Raise the MAP limit cannot cause the aircraft be no longer WEP-capable, by definition. Raising the MAP limit makes it more WEP-capable. The factory WEP rating was 67". The highest officially authorized WEP rating I've seen for the P-51 was 72." This appears to have been standard later in the war. There is good reason to believe that P-51s regularly ran at 75", but I've been unable to confirm that this was ever officially authorized.

As far as I know, no modifications were made to the cooling system. Thus, the best use of the additional WEP would be at high speed, to increase maximum speed, rather than at low speed, to increase maneuverability.

The highest approved rating for the V-1650-7 in US service was 75":

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/44-1_Fuel-16March44.pdf

The P-51D used the same engine, but the highest boost clearance I can find for it in US service is indeed 72". That said, the British ran their Mustangs at 25 lb/in² - 81":

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mustang/tk589.html

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mustang/mustang3-clearance-25lbs.jpg

I should also note the P-51's radiator was around three times as effective as the Spitfire Mk IX's, which also ran at +25 lb/in² and is a much slower plane by design both in level flight as well as combat tactics used.

Edited by antagonist

The highest approved rating for the V-1650-7 in US service was 75":

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/44-1_Fuel-16March44.pdf

The P-51D used the same engine, but the highest boost clearance I can find for it in US service is indeed 72". That said, the British ran their Mustangs at 25 lb/in² - 81":

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mustang/tk589.html

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mustang/mustang3-clearance-25lbs.jpg

I should also note the P-51's radiator was around three times as effective as the Spitfire Mk IX's, which also ran at +25 lb/in² and is a much slower plane by design both in level flight as well as combat tactics used.

Source on effectiveness of P-51's radiator compared to Spitfire?

Yes British mustang please, lol.

Source on effectiveness of P-51's radiator compared to Spitfire?

Yes British mustang please, lol.

The 'effectiveness' in question might be drag: it's well known that the P-51's radiator was particularly carefully designed for minimal drag (and under some circumstances could produce a tiny bit of thrust).

Better not do anything to the mustang.

Reasons:

1) historical accuracy.

2)its actually balanced vs the dora. dora has better flight characteristics, but is worse at turnfighting and has a LOT less fuel which limits its ability against the mustang. Sometimes i run out of fuel and have those p51 on my tail and i cant do anything about it because he still has an hour of flight time.

So, if we have the Pacific version of the P-51D at the moment, then it would only make sense to get a variant that fits the European Theater.

Better not do anything to the mustang.

2)its actually balanced vs the dora. dora has better flight characteristics, but is worse at turnfighting and has a LOT less fuel which limits its ability against the mustang. Sometimes i run out of fuel and have those p51 on my tail and i cant do anything about it because he still has an hour of flight time.

I wouldn't worry too much about the balance issue here. Dora still a good match against 72" mustang. Just don't turn burn with it.

Like most every airplane during WW2, there is NO standard version. What does one consider standard anyway? The official production version? Sorry that doesn't work either. Production versions weren't always in service the way that their manufacturers intended due to field modification, and/or shortage of parts, among other reasons.

Additionally, all you joystickers are flying the planes not how they were historically flown in large part. Most of you guys would have blown the engine the first 2 minutes of combat, or crashed, or passed out.

DCS should focus solely on how the planes were used in real combat, not pipedreams of a 390 mph P51 on the deck.

• Like 1

Like most every airplane during WW2, there is NO standard version. What does one consider standard anyway? The official production version? Sorry that doesn't work either. Production versions weren't always in service the way that their manufacturers intended due to field modification, and/or shortage of parts, among other reasons.

Additionally, all you joystickers are flying the planes not how they were historically flown in large part. Most of you guys would have blown the engine the first 2 minutes of combat, or crashed, or passed out.

DCS should focus solely on how the planes were used in real combat, not pipedreams of a 390 mph P51 on the deck.

Define "historically flown in large part." Data? :cry:

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!