L-39ZA: AoA Warning Light always on

portman

Hey guys, don't know what I'm doing wrong, but everytime I want to shoot a missile the yellow AOA warning light is permanently on, even if I'm flying straight and level and my speed is above 400 km/h. Shooting the missile and everything else works correctly, but that damn light will keep lit all the time. Any ideas? Thanks :thumbup:

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!

Dear Portman,

My guess is that you have flipped also the GS-23 Cannon Arm/Safe switch when you set up your two missile heating and glowing switches. Now, selecting outer pylons to fire your missiles prevents the cannon from firing and that is also indicated by the AOA lamp, as any other situation that prevents cannon from firing. In short, try to set GS-23 Cannon switch to the Safe position.

By the way, there is another way how to disable the lamp, namely to press the unblock guns button on the central pedestal. But that may cause your cannon to fire as well when you do not want to.

Edited by -Martin-
grammar

Dear Portman,

My guess is that you have flipped also the GS-23 Cannon Arm/Safe switch when you set up your two missile heating and glowing switches. Now, selecting outer pylons to fire your missiles prevents the cannon from firing and that is also indicated by the AOA lamp, as any other situation that prevents cannon from firing. In short, try to set GS-23 Cannon switch to the Safe position.

By the way, there is another way how to disable the lamp, namely to press the unblock guns button on the central pedestal. But that may cause your cannon to fire as well when you do not want to.

That did the trick, thank you so much! :clap:

How do you know? I didn't find that explanation about the AOA lamp in the manual. I've only found the bits about the AOA and speed limitations. Thanks again!

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!

You are quite right that they did not mention it in the manual, that selecting pylons lights up the AOA light, given the cannon is powered. I just observed this behaviour during many hours flying the Albatros, probably my favourite plane.

Nevertheless, from the manual it is clear that the AOA light is related only to the cannon and not to missiles. It is the AOL indicator that lights up below 400 IAS, below which the cannon does not fire (unless you override the limiter by that button on the central pedestal). Missiles have a different indicator to the left of the gunsight that says `stand alert' if you are above 310 IAS, and below which you are unable to fire them. In short, I knew it must be related to the cannon, since the AOA light has nothing to do with missiles.

Good luck flying the L-39.