Best way to start learning F/A-18

wizav

I am getting closer to mastering Mig-21, still practicing bombing but other things are mastered.

I have F/A-18, what YouTube guides besides wags videos are the best for for this plane? that could save me a lot of time.

I've already completed Cold Starts, but it's those computers that worry me, I want to know everything and most youtubers are shallow and fast in explaining those things.

Thank you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

honestly - i just came back to DCS after a hiatus of over a year. I found the combo of the training missions along with some printed checklists the best way to get back into it.

Only after you have done the training missions and annotated your checklists would I recommend jumping into the higher fidelity capabilities as seen in youtube channels like spudknocker, crash laobi or ravagetalon

just approach the computers in bite size pieces... learn only the litening pod first... then the mavericks, then the HARM etc. Thats why i say stay away from the youtubers until you have the training fundamentals down.

good luck and have fun! also .. i hope the quake didnt affect anything in bosnia/herz and that all is well.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Good advice above, also the manual is very well written. As far as youtube goes Personally I like Jabbers, Tricker, and Spudknocker's videos. All of them do pretty solid research and give good tips and advice, for actually flying the jet and "doing" things correctly. Jabbers has a great entry level CASE 1 recovery video, and they are pretty fun and light, easy to watch.

Honestly though as far as learning systems goes Wag's videos are the best. He gets right to the point and goes step by step, and they build on each other. So if your worried about all the digital systems his videos should be your go too.

I would steer clear of Grim Reapers and Red Kite. GR tend to be straight up wrong or they leave out very important base knowledge about the system. Red Kite is not as bad but he also leaves things out a lot. Those videos tend to focus on how you do things from a gaming perspective vs a simulator perspective if that makes sense. They teach you what buttons to push to get a specific result rather then explain how the systems work. Which IMO doesn't give you the tools you need to be a good driver.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

<DCS Root Folder>\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Doc\DCS FA-18C Early Access Guide EN.pdf

other languages are also available.

If you really want to learn a lot, I would suggest you type the following phrase into your favorite search engine: "A1-F18AC-NFM-000"

Pick a website that doesn't try and charge you money for it.

Edited by randomTOTEN
correct file path
  • Like 1

<DCS Root Folder>/Mods/aircraft/Doc/DCS FA-18C Early Access Guide EN.pdf

other languages are also available.

If you really want to learn a lot, I would suggest you type the following phrase into your favorite search engine: "A1-F18AC-NFM-000"

Pick a website that doesn't try and charge you money for it.

Here you go. Download it.

https://jasonblair.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NATOPS-Flight-Manual-US-Navy-FA-18ABCD-McDonnell-Douglas-fighter-A1-F18AC-NFM-000-Chg-6-2000-BBS.pdf

Buzz

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I am currently using the training mission which are pretty good, just not enough of them to cover more aspects of the Hornet.

Along with Chuck's Guide for the Hornet.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Can't agree with earlier poster's comments re. RedKite. His videos explain things clearly and with enough detail to get you going with a particular concept. Where you go next (more detailed YT or manuals etc) is up to you.

Check out RedKite's Hornet tutorial/playlist (includes some of Matt Wagner's content too).

The only thing I can add to the above is that learning is iterative, you can't expect to do it all at once, that is why all people go through a normal process of try>fail>identify weakness>revise>try. What I mean here is that do not be afraid to try and fail, because it is a sim and your health is not at risk, you may find that your existing knowledge get's you over many obvious things that come to you via instinct. Most of the ergonomics in modern fighter jets are designed to be fairly intuitive as it costs more to train and anything complex in combat is very very bad.

Things I always do:

Never use just one source of materials. Whilst I might prefer RedKite's overall, it doesn't mean I've had the luxury of being exclusive to his channel, he can't cover everything, but a search term can. Cross checking is standard internet practice.

Start with learning the start from cold and don't skip it until you can do it unaided, because it goes through most of the switchology so you can then follow up by knowing where things are located. It's two lessons in one. Orientation and naming, and a process. If it's not an english cockpit or if anything is unclear, put cockpit labels on and learn the names of the buttons.

Only do keybindings on your HOTAS after you know what is important. Often the ergonomics is designed well for a purpose for common items, but this is a sim and we have to be choosy on valuable switches. It's often beneficial to attempt to keep bindings common across multiple modules assuming they are logical and your fingers remember them well.

Whilst learning in an order (building blocks) is the most effective, it might not be the most fun. Learning what you want to or doing it out of order is good if it means you are more engaged, because that's essentially what you paid for. If you never want to touch ADF navigation, that is your call to make. Still, jumping into a specific weapon without knowing some basics might take you longer to learn if you have to stop to bind certain switches, review some other system like stores etc before, but if you want to do thing backwards, it's still valid if you enjoy it, just beware you had that advice and chose to take a fun route and that's your limitation.

If you get a chance, doing the process with someone else is faster because the engagement creates more cranial pathways. Showing someone how something works (teaching) is actually a time proven method of reinforcing your own knowledge, help others where you can. You'll find these posts are always bustling with advice because people like sharing and engageing. This is the tip of the iceberg, there are a lot of squadrons who like doing training from 0 (there's a lot that don't too, it's very hard work) But It's better together.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

The only thing I can add to the above is that learning is iterative, you can't expect to do it all at once, that is why all people go through a normal process of try>fail>identify weakness>revise>try. What I mean here is that do not be afraid to try and fail, because it is a sim and your health is not at risk, you may find that your existing knowledge get's you over many obvious things that come to you via instinct. Most of the ergonomics in modern fighter jets are designed to be fairly intuitive as it costs more to train and anything complex in combat is very very bad.

Things I always do:

Never use just one source of materials. Whilst I might prefer RedKite's overall, it doesn't mean I've had the luxury of being exclusive to his channel, he can't cover everything, but a search term can. Cross checking is standard internet practice.

Start with learning the start from cold and don't skip it until you can do it unaided, because it goes through most of the switchology so you can then follow up by knowing where things are located. It's two lessons in one. Orientation and naming, and a process. If it's not an english cockpit or if anything is unclear, put cockpit labels on and learn the names of the buttons.

Only do keybindings on your HOTAS after you know what is important. Often the ergonomics is designed well for a purpose for common items, but this is a sim and we have to be choosy on valuable switches. It's often beneficial to attempt to keep bindings common across multiple modules assuming they are logical and your fingers remember them well.

Whilst learning in an order (building blocks) is the most effective, it might not be the most fun. Learning what you want to or doing it out of order is good if it means you are more engaged, because that's essentially what you paid for. If you never want to touch ADF navigation, that is your call to make. Still, jumping into a specific weapon without knowing some basics might take you longer to learn if you have to stop to bind certain switches, review some other system like stores etc before, but if you want to do thing backwards, it's still valid if you enjoy it, just beware you had that advice and chose to take a fun route and that's your limitation.

If you get a chance, doing the process with someone else is faster because the engagement creates more cranial pathways. Showing someone how something works (teaching) is actually a time proven method of reinforcing your own knowledge, help others where you can. You'll find these posts are always bustling with advice because people like sharing and engageing. This is the tip of the iceberg, there are a lot of squadrons who like doing training from 0 (there's a lot that don't too, it's very hard work) But It's better together.

Excellent advice! Well said.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB