F-104 Starfighter - The Widowmaker

SlingShot86

i Would love to see the F-104 Starfighter in DCS ...

A Missile with a seat on it. One of the most Historic Fighter Planes in the World!

nearly in service of every country!

i hope that im not the only one who wants this beast to become a member in the DCS family.

if this "wish" was allready posted, im very sorry! If - Please feel free to delete my post.

Kind Regards

• Like 3

Every time I see someone talking about the Starfighter as the Widowmaker I immediately know he is a German, because AFAIK it was only in Germany where it got that nickname. Other countries had other aircraft, which they called widow maker. For example, the Harrier was dubbed widow maker as well.

Anyways, great aircraft! Would love to fly it in DCS! There is already a wishlist thread for it though: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205057

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Every time I see someone talking about the Starfighter as the Widowmaker I immediately know he is a German, because AFAIK it was only in Germany where it got that nickname.

Ah, the good old Erdnagel :) In retrospect, using an interceptor with marginal wing area and poor low-speed handling as a fighter-bomber probably wasn't the best idea. Here in Norway we used the 104 for the only task it was suited for; taking pictures of Tu-16 and 95s over international waters.

Ah, the good old Erdnagel :) In retrospect, using an interceptor with marginal wing area and poor low-speed handling as a fighter-bomber probably wasn't the best idea. Here in Norway we used the 104 for the only task it was suited for; taking pictures of Tu-16 and 95s over international waters.

Got Ya .. you know what .. germany never learnd out of those mistakes...

- Tiger Helicopter "No!! we dont need a gun on our attack helicopter"

- Eurofighter "No!! Our Eurofighter has to bomb, to hunt, to dogfight and must be cheap in spare parts!"

But back to topic.... yes in germany its called "Der Witwenmacher" so "The widowmaker" .. germany had a lot of crashes with that bird. But time to get serious.

When someone talks about a JET PLANE, then there is only the Starfighter in my mind (of course some other too) .. When you look at a starfighter, you see "SPEED!"

English Electric Lightning same era mach 2 interceptor, that would be fun too.

111890752_English_Electric_Lightning_F6_UK_-_Air_Force_AN1409778.thumb.jpg.b2780a8193652805b83fbce1c0f53844.jpg

Edited by dave-uk

Utrinque Paratus

I7-9700K OCTA-CORE 3.6 GHZ / 4.8 GHZ

RAM 32 GB DDR4 (3000 MHZ)

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 8 GB GDDR6

STORAGE - 2TB SSD - 6 TB SATA

English Electric Lightning same era mach 2 interceptor, that would be fun too.

But way less proliferated compared to the Starfighter :music_whistling:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

F-104 still has more FUN factor compared to the British Lightning. F-104 has at least secondary ground attack ability...and more cannon rounds for auxiliary combat use, in-case the missiles fail.

F-104 is certainly marketable and has set a lot of records too during its times.

I rather see a Tornado or SEPECAT Jaguar if we want a Euro jet. I'm sure the latter is more doable.

But way less proliferated compared to the Starfighter :music_whistling:

Have to agree and the Starfighter looks way better too

Utrinque Paratus

F-104 still has more FUN factor compared to the British Lightning. F-104 has at least secondary ground attack ability...and more cannon rounds for auxiliary combat use, in-case the missiles fail.

F-104 is certainly marketable and has set a lot of records too during its times.

I rather see a Tornado or SEPECAT Jaguar if we want a Euro jet. I'm sure the latter is more doable.

Id like to see a Tornado too, with the lightning you'd be doing a lot of re-fueling too :)

Utrinque Paratus

Id like to see a Tornado too, with the lightning you'd be doing a lot of re-fueling too :)

Lightning can come later...not that fond of air to air refueling, not that skilled. Its a pain!

Lightning is a PURE short sprint interceptor. Too specialized and specific.

So...Tornado or Jaguar...whichever is easier to acquire and develop for Euro jets.

Maybe we could expect the Starfighter in 2025 and onwards:thumbup:

JJJAAAAAAAAAGGGGG

giphy.gif

But yes, we should get a starfighter.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

i'd like a starfighter for it being extremely "challenging" to fly (at least when used outside the regimes it was designed for - as it was done within the german luftwaffe).

i'm not that interested in aircraft that have perfect handling characteristic in most situations like the f-16 etc.

It does. 2X30mm ADEN cannons. But no bombs. It was designed as a PURE short sprint interceptor.

Some of the ME clients put bombs/rockets on it.

Per wiki

"ME export models incorporated an additional pair of hardpoints under the outer wing. These hardpoints could be fitted with pylons for air-to-ground weaponry, including two 1,000 lb (450 kg) bombs or four SNEB rocket pods each carrying 18 68 mm rockets. A gun pack carrying two ADEN cannons and 120 rounds each could replace the forward part of the ventral fuel tank."

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

F-104 has at least secondary ground attack ability...

In German service it was at least an equal ability :pilotfly:

Tornado3 small.jpg

In German service it was at least an equal ability :pilotfly:

Plus the Germans developed and perfected the Lithobraking technique with the F104. :music_whistling:

Wait EE lightning has no internal gun???

Depends on the version. The F3 and early F6s did not have internal guns. The F1, F2 and late F5s, as well as the export models, did have guns either in the nose or in a ventral pack.+

And yeah, +1 for the Starfighter. It may have had a dodgy introduction in service, but I'm on the fanboy team that thinks it wasn't all that bad.

Definitely on board for a Starfighter, see a couple of other such threads.

Would like to point out that a lot of that German 'widowmaker' thing about it is just because a certain public news perception stuck. While it did have a bit of a troubled time, especially in the beginning, its accident numbers weren't quite as ludicrously high as the public perception was when compared to other airframes of the era, and most of the problems the Luftwaffe had with them actually came down to organisational problems rather than a general problem with the bird's design.