Which WWII plane after P51D?

lwalter

Now that I can taxi, takeoff and land the P51D almost with ease, which next WWII plane should I try?

I'd like to go from easiest (I supposed this was the P51D) to hardest for taxi, takeoff and landing.

These are the plane I have: FW190 Anton and Dora, Bf109, Spitfire and I16.

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

I would say P-51D, FW190A & D are very similar and the FW190 is probably the easiest WW2 plane overall to fly, cause workload is reduced alot due to the single lever engine control.

If you want to get a little more excitement i would recommend the 109 or the Spit fire next and than move on to the I-16 which due to its huge radial and early design will be the most unpleasant to fly.

That really depends on whether we judge airplane behaviour while on the ground (taxi, takeoff roll, landing roll out), and when in the air (liftoff + initial climb then approach + flare), both categories conflicting with each other.

For "on the ground" category, I'd personally choose:

1) both 190s because of wide track gear giving more margin for errors and tailwheel locking/unlocking mechanism similar to Mustang (stick backward / stick forward, although be careful - transition point is located 3/4 back, no in the middle like in P-51!). Dora first, because of somewhat better forward visibility;

2) Spit - despite of lack of tailwheel lock, its extremely effective rudder gives plenty control during both takeoff and landing. Actually, the rudder is maybe too effective for new owners of this module - lot of them overcontrolling, groundlooping and crashing all over the place before realising you only need small, precise and fast inputs to make the plane go straight;

3) 109 - it has a tailwheel lock, but that one's been barely effective, which, combined with very strong adverse propeller effects and rather inefficient rudder makes takeoffs and landings a bit challenging business requiring precise and fast rudder operation.

For "in the air category", I'd choose:

1) Spit because of lowest wing loading of them all, making it glide nicely;

2) 109 with still low wing loading, climbs like a rocket, glides on approach nicely (although requires smooth and careful throttle and rudder inputs to ensure relatively trouble-free touchdowns and rollouts)

3) both 190s with their very high wing loading. They're hotrods with small wings, especially Dora. Maintaining correct speeds is crucial - Dora likes to sink after lifoff when climbing above ground effect if the speed is too low, moreover, during landing approach both planes decelerate quickly with flaps full down and glide like bricks if you let them slow down too much. The only plus for Dora - supercharger intake makes an excellent reference element for maintaining 3-point attitude (put its upper edge on horizon line and you're set for a perfect 3-pointer).

I don't own I-16, so can't comment on that. People write it's b..tch on the ground, though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Dora likes to sink after lift off when climbing above ground effect if the speed is too low

Oh yes especially when you combine ground effect passing out with rising take-off flaps too early, Dora sinks like crazy.

BTW very good summary of ww2 DCS planes behavior :thumbup:

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

stick backward / stick forward, although be careful - transition point is located 3/4 back, no in the middle like in P-51!)

Do you mean that for FW190 you need your stick fully back to lock the tailwheel? I thought I read from the manual that just a little stick backwards was enough. Maybe I haven't understood properly.

I also read from the FW190 manual that you didn't need to let the stick move forward during the takeoff roll, that it was doing a 3-point takeoff. Once again, maybe I completely misunderstood.

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

Do you mean that for FW190 you need your stick fully back to lock the tailwheel? I thought I read from the manual that just a little stick backwards was enough. Maybe I haven't understood properly.

I also read from the FW190 manual that you didn't need to let the stick move forward during the takeoff roll, that it was doing a 3-point takeoff. Once again, maybe I completely misunderstood.

In Dora case you need to hold stick to maintain tail wheel lock. Once you pass 100 kph you can let go stick and let tail rise up.

If you don't let go stick at all you will take off straight in to stall :P If you want 3 point take off you need to keep a little back pressure on stick not full deflection.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Yes in both 190s you have to have the stick very far back to really lock the tailwheel. In that regard the System is different to that of the P-51D.

And yes the FW190 is flown away from the runway in 3-point attitude. But that doesnt mean you hold the stick full back. As grafspee mentioned correctly you will end up in a stall that way. You ease the stick forward and than feel for lift. If the tailwheel comes up a little, no Problem, but you won't push it over to see straight ahead.

If you like you can take a look at my

D9 tutorial. For A8 take-off technique is the same, just different engine. ;)

You mean DCS manual or real manual? In either case, I don't recall what's written there, I do know, however, what works in the sim. Learned it the hard way while trying to figure out why the hell I was suddenly loosing directional control of Dora early during takeoff roll, when neutralizing the stick early like I always did in Mustang. Testing later while taxiing I noticed that indeed lock worked only in the aft 1/4-ish movement range of the stick.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Now that I can taxi, takeoff and land the P51D almost with ease, which next WWII plane should I try?

I'd like to go from easiest (I supposed this was the P51D) to hardest for taxi, takeoff and landing.

These are the plane I have: FW190 Anton and Dora, Bf109, Spitfire and I16.

I personally find the 109 the easiest after the P51D. For some reason the FW190D9 bounces and flips if I hit the smallest bump. The Dora also stalls really easily.

The hardest thing about the 109 is using the wheel brake to keep it strait on take off. You use a lot of rudder and aileron as well but its not so bad if your easy on the trottle. Apart from that it is easy to taxi with the tail wheel locked and has no trouble getting off the ground

The spitfire is a pain on the ground but if you can keep it strate it takes off and flys really easy. It is also easy to land with the flaps basically being a big air brake.

Don't know about the 190A8 because I don't have it. But I would assume it flys better then the heavier Dora.

The I16 is a pain on the ground but easy once it's in the air. I find it a bit tricky to land as well. It's an old plane. The gear has to be raised and lowered by hand and it can't be trimmed.

So my order from easy to hard would be:

P51D

109K4

Spitfire

FW190A(just a guess)

FW190D

I16

Edited by Snapage

My personal opinion in order of ease of learning: P-51, A8, D9, K4. (I don't have the others).

The A8 seems to have more forgiving ground handling, is rugged and flies nicely. The D9 is prone to accelerated wing stalls. The K4 is difficult to take-off/land and is a bit more complicated to start-up/shutdown. I still struggle with the K4.

One suggestion... the German aircraft can take some heavy loads. Avoid that when first learning. Take the lighter bomb (if any) and get the hang of it first, before loading up with full-weapons/full-fuel.

I'm not sure why there was even a need to ask this question if you own all of those airplanes. Just go fly them all and see which one you like the best. That's why you bought them. It's not as if you're going to die if you crash one!

• 2 weeks later...