State of the Tomcat AIM-7?

BonerCat

I remember the AIM-7 being borderline useless a few months back. Is it still not working correctly or was it maybe fixed? Thanks

Edited by BonerCat

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

I remember the AIM-7 being borderline useless a few month back. Is it still not working correctly or was it maybe fixed? Thanks

Seems to work fine for me.

I bought the module after the problem was fixed, but I saw reports from over peoples starting it was ok :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

It was refactored to use ED's code in the fall, and we even got a fancy new H-Build Sparrow to boot.

If like me you don't know what H-Build is :D

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104575/aim-7-sparrow/

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Thanks guys!

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

It seems to work fairly well, below 10 nm. Sometimes it misses, but most of the time it works. Just don't try and use it as a BVR missile.

Depends on how you shoot it and what you're shooting at. If you're supersonic and fire it above 25000 feet with a manual loft, the missile easily has the smash to reach 30 miles. At low altitude I've seen targets outrun shots as close as 5 miles. Range is a situational thing.

Depends on how you shoot it and what you're shooting at. If you're supersonic and fire it above 25000 feet with a manual loft, the missile easily has the smash to reach 30 miles. At low altitude I've seen targets outrun shots as close as 5 miles. Range is a situational thing.

Good point there. It's been a while since i fired it at a high flying transport, bomber or AWACS. Might as well try it.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Yeah, way too many people expect 30mile shots with missiles when shooting them subsonic on the deck against maneuvering targets. Its not a realistic expectation. I dodged/outran like 4 AIM54's on the deck online last night from some yokel that yeeted them at me from like 15-20 miles or so.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Harlikwin, the heatblur aim 7s were tested extensively and shown to have degraded in performance down to 10% success rate, and heatblur acknowledged this. Ed and heatblur communicated and this got patched. What are you talking about?

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Harlikwin, the heatblur aim 7s were tested extensively and shown to have degraded in performance down to 10% success rate, and heatblur acknowledged this. Ed and heatblur communicated and this got patched. What are you talking about?

Just some peoples unrealistic expectations of missile range/performance. The bro that yeeted them at me swore up and down the phoneix was broken after that.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It's rather telling that the Sea Sparrow has a published max range of 10 nautical miles, it's virtually the same missile fired from zero speed at sea level.

The thing is that public specifications are generally firing range.

It doesn't tell you interception range

So if it's firing range against missile coming in straight at you at M0.9, it isn't the same thing than a fighter making evasive maneuvers.

Mirage fanatic !

The thing is that public specifications are generally firing range.

It doesn't tell you interception range

So if it's firing range against missile coming in straight at you at M0.9, it isn't the same thing than a fighter making evasive maneuvers.

I'm sure it might be for a traget that is coming hot at high speed, like an ASM or something like that.

When fired at a relative 0 or negative speed target that you are chasing, then I would assume its alot less.

ED missiles (120, R-27, R77, AIM-7) all feel like they're flying through peanut butter... there have been so many posts on this and the main issue is the drag coefficients... they just don't fly like the unclassified data and charts suggest they should. Not even close... and this is especially noticeable when they pull g's during the final phase of guidance... they bleed so much energy it's insane. That's why the AIM-7 misses so much, it just runs out of energy right when it needs it (the same is true of the F-18, btw, it bleeds way too much energy in turns)

I truly hope the HB team can have some influence over the flight dynamics and guidance of AIM-7s... because it's generally useless in combat right now. Less than 10% of mine connect when fired at 10 miles headon with bandits... It's not even worth carrying them.

Just look at the flight profile of a DCS JF-17 CHAMRAAM vs a 120C... it's appauling... and they're supposed to be pretty close in performance.

Edited by Banzaiib

Just look at the flight profile of a DCS JF-17 CHAMRAAM vs a 120C... it's appauling... and they're supposed to be pretty close in performance.

The SD10 has a variable thrust 2 stage motor (sustainer/terminal motor). So... Not really "close"...

The SD10 has a variable thrust 2 stage motor (sustainer/terminal motor). So... Not really "close"...

I would be interested by your source about SD10, it's hard to find.

Thanks

Mirage fanatic !

I would be interested by your source about SD10, it's hard to find.

Thanks

Rule 1.16 and all that. Everything is on google that I found.

From what I can find, the SD-10's range, which I'm assuming is max performance at altitude against headon bandits, is around 60 miles, and the AIM-120C is around 55 miles... which is fairly "close"when comparing them against eachother... (we all know that no AIM-120C is going 55 miles in DCS)

Let's just say for the sake of argument, that according to the unclassified info i have, the SD-10 has about 10% more range than a 120C fired in exactly the same parameters (altiuted, aspect, etc)... if you have other information, i'd love to see it... my point is that in DCS, the SD-10 is WAAAAAY more than 10% longer range than the 120C (all things being equal). That's what i mean by "not even close".

NOw, i could be completely wrong about the comparison of the 2, but 1.16 does make it difficult to discuss this...

Edited by Banzaiib

ED missiles (120, R-27, R77, AIM-7) all feel like they're flying through peanut butter... there have been so many posts on this and the main issue is the drag coefficients... they just don't fly like the unclassified data and charts suggest they should. Not even close... and this is especially noticeable when they pull g's during the final phase of guidance... they bleed so much energy it's insane. That's why the AIM-7 misses so much, it just runs out of energy right when it needs it (the same is true of the F-18, btw, it bleeds way too much energy in turns)

I truly hope the HB team can have some influence over the flight dynamics and guidance of AIM-7s... because it's generally useless in combat right now. Less than 10% of mine connect when fired at 10 miles headon with bandits... It's not even worth carrying them.

Just so it's clear for anyone coming by in a random search, Heatblur has it's own unique AIM-7 it uses for the F-14 but they require the missile code from ED. The Heatblur AIM-7 was on par with ED's AIM-7 in the first part of 2019, then ED made some kind of change and it affected the Heatblur AIM-7. Heatblur took several months to obtain the new code. While using the old code it negatively affected their missile, dropping performance down to a 10% success rate in very easy conditions. ED eventually provided the new code to Heatblur and Heatblur patched their AIM-7 to be back on par with ED's AIM-7 in fall of 2019.

Now, if ED's AIM-7 is sluggish in general, that is a different and additional issue with ED's missile logic/code/math (whatever) and that will affect other missiles like Heatblur's AIM-7.

I'm not disputing you, just trying to keep things clear. Hopefully. Maybe. Lol.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Comparing the real world results that missiles has given to USA etc, all the western missiles are performing multiple times better.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Just so it's clear for anyone coming by in a random search, Heatblur has it's own unique AIM-7 it uses for the F-14 but they require the missile code from ED. The Heatblur AIM-7 was on par with ED's AIM-7 in the first part of 2019, then ED made some kind of change and it affected the Heatblur AIM-7. Heatblur took several months to obtain the new code. While using the old code it negatively affected their missile, dropping performance down to a 10% success rate in very easy conditions. ED eventually provided the new code to Heatblur and Heatblur patched their AIM-7 to be back on par with ED's AIM-7 in fall of 2019.

Now, if ED's AIM-7 is sluggish in general, that is a different and additional issue with ED's missile logic/code/math (whatever) and that will affect other missiles like Heatblur's AIM-7.

I'm not disputing you, just trying to keep things clear. Hopefully. Maybe. Lol.

To be even more clear, the only difference between the Tomcat's AIM-7's and the normal ED AIM-7's is that the Tomcat's are rotated 45 degrees due to using a different attaching method. In all other regards they are supposed to be identical.

To be even more clear, the only difference between the Tomcat's AIM-7's and the normal ED AIM-7's is that the Tomcat's are rotated 45 degrees due to using a different attaching method. In all other regards they are supposed to be identical.

Not only supposed, atm they are 100% identical, minus the 45° rotation the Tomcat needs.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/