I think I may be going about this wrong...

FreightDog

Sorry for the suck eggs newbie muppet question but this is driving me up the wall now so I think I'm missing something. Reasonably proficient now with the systems and can even find the odd target now, but I can't seem to EVER get within launch range (or manage a Maverick lock) before a SAM hits me eg, Instant Action, PG map, you're headed at an island with some armour to take out and a bunch of sams and aaa. Supposedly also SEAD from a pair of F-16's and a wingman. I evade the first couple immediately launched at me, turn 90 degs left and locate a SAM launcher on my TGP. I'm about 15 miles away, and tried GBU38's from 15000ft, sea skimming then zooming up at about 5 miles to try with Mavericks, but each time I'm killed by SAM. Got my CM's in full auto chaffing like there's not tomorrow.

How would you deal with this scenario please guys?

Oculus Rift S, RTX2060 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB, SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Voiceattack Plugin

I’d just lay back, sort/mark targets (armor) and give the F-16s time to do their job.

Unless you have hills to hide in, the Warthog really isn’t a SEAD platform beyond popping the odd SA-8/9/13 and I’m pretty sure the Gulf lacks hills...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Are you using the AGM-65D or AGM-65H?

D I think but tbh didn't notice... operationally they deploy the same though right?

I’d just lay back, sort/mark targets (armor) and give the F-16s time to do their job.

Unless you have hills to hide in, the Warthog really isn’t a SEAD platform beyond popping the odd SA-8/9/13 and I’m pretty sure the Gulf lacks hills...

I've just heard this from someone else... so if I hang around long enough then the AI will take care of all the SAMs for me? How will I know? Nothing on my RWR?

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

Voiceattack Plugin

Know the locations of the SAMs in advance by proper mission prep and study of the map in the Mission Planner. Plan your entrance to the AO, use SEAD actively and be patient. Hang around, do what you can outside their range, refuel from the tanker and go back in when the F-16s are done.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

It rather depends on what SAM system we're talking about. Some of them will simply outrange Mavs no matter what (and some will just shoot them down so even if you could get a shot off, it wouldn't help much).

Generally, you want to use D:s or G:s against anything mobile simply because the IR seeker will lock up targets at far more generous ranges than the H and K models. On the other hand, if you're going up against a fixed site where you can use force correlate mode, you can set up your shot at pretty ridiculous ranges, race in… well, for certain values of “race” since it's an A-10 we're speaking about, and use that (hideously over-precise) mode to get the Mavs off at whatever their max flight range is for the altitude you're at. It might even be at a range where ECM makes a difference (it is rarely worth while at any range where you'd use normal Mav lock-on functionality).

On a related note, you almost never want to use auto and semi-auto mode on the CMS.

. Manual requires a bit more attention, but is also far more likely to actually help you: you can use the right countermeasures at the right time while engaging in the right defensive manoeuvres, without just emptying the entire on-board CM storage. Unless you know exactly what you're going up against, and know for sure that you will only face one system, auto is as likely to just waste resources as it is to actually help you survive.

…but all that aside, as others have mentioned, the Hog isn't really a SEAD aircraft. If you have SEAD/DEAD support, let them do their job and then do yours unmolested — it's what they're there to do, after all.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Agree with everybody here that the A10 is definitely not SEAD material, but if you must:

I used to take some distance and altitude (about 20nm) and put the SPI on the target.

Then come back down low, change my approach vector and pop up from behind a hill. When popping up lock the MAV to the SPI and rifle!

Pop some chaffs and flare like a madman and run away behind the hill.

Just pray there is not a smartass with a MANPAD!

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

Thanks all, though I think I'm being partly misunderstood; it's not that I'm trying to fly a SEAD mission, the fact is that pretty much all the missions seem to have SAMs everywhere around, but I have no idea how long or even if someone else (in single player) is going to take to take them out. That being the case I guess I just fly round in circles until I run out of fuel (haven't learned aa refuelling yet) or my RWR stops beeping?

If it's the case that in real life the only ground threats to the A10 (apart from manpads) are things like ZSUs - which you CAN take out before you're in their range?

Voiceattack Plugin

If you know there're SAM's like SA-9,13 or 19. Scan the Area with your TGP and mark them as target. All other SAM-Threats will end in a instant kill for your A-10C. IRL A-10's would never get in to an area with "higher" SAM-Threats. As you mention befor, there're F-16 tasked with SEAD. Let them kill the airdefences and then get in. Stay above 12000ft and AAA won't harm you.

Hope that helps a bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did encounter similar issues with this mission.

To make this easier I did some editing.

First of, the F16 were getting their ass kicked most of the time, so I added one more.

Second, F16 were carrying only 2 AG missiles each, so I modified their payloads by adding 2 more AG missiles.

I did add more fuel for the A10 as well because you have to loiter a little while your friends clean SA sites.

Then the mission gets more doable.

hope this helps.

Edited by Kelevra
orthographe

If you know there're SAM's like SA-9,13 or 19. Scan the Area with your TGP and mark them as target. All other SAM-Threats will end in a instant kill for your A-10C. IRL A-10's would never get in to an area with "higher" SAM-Threats. As you mention befor, there're F-16 tasked with SEAD. Let them kill the airdefences and then get in. Stay above 12000ft and AAA won't harm you.

Hope that helps a bit

I think someone (me) needs to do a bit of homework on these different SAMs! Thanks for the tip!

I did encounter similar issues with this mission.

To make this easier I did some editing.

First of, the F16 were getting there ass kicked most of the time, so I added one more.

Second, F16 were carrying only 2 AG missiles each, so I modified their payloads by adding 2 more AG missiles.

I did add more fuel for the A10 as well because you have to loiter a little while your friends clean SA sites.

Then the mission gets more doable.

hope this helps.

I'm very happy it wasn't just me, thank you! More homework... the Dreaded Mission Editor! I reckon with a fair bit of luck I've got 30-35 years left... maybe I'll get this licked in that time hahaha

Voiceattack Plugin

-65D IR mavs can get a lock at about 9nm or so. The -65H optical mavs have lock range of 5nm.

About 65Hs, you can force correlate to "kinda lock" to a point (won't track moving targets) and have an effective range of about 11nm if you fire from arount 17/18k ft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850