Couple of Noob Questions

Hey. Total noob to both DCS and flight sims in general. That said, I have a couple questions about the campaigns for the Spitfire MIX.

1. When I attempt to fly above ~20,000ft. my engine starts sputtering and I need to dive in order to gain consistent function. I saw in another thread where I need to turn on the electric fuel pump. I have not tried this yet, but my question is - should I be leaving the electric pump on at all times? Just when above 20K feet?

2. About 75% of the time when I launch a mission neither my "Sim" nor my "Easy" profiles load for my joystick (Saitek X52). I am stuck with some stock joystick profile where the buttons I have mapped for things like (wheel brakes, guns, etc.) are not available. I cannot tell if this is a bug, an X52 issue, or a issue with my Options. I am flying in game mode with just about every aid turned on. When I hit ESC and "Adjust Controls" it claims I am using my "Sim" profile....but buttons mapped there are not available. Switching to "Easy" profile also does not work.

3. Finally - in IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad you are able to "Lower" the skill level of the enemy pilots. Makes it easier for us losers to get a kill now and then. Is there anything like this in DCS? I have seen in the campaigns where you can set pilot skill when building a campaign, but wondering if you can edit skill level in purchased campaigns.

Any help from all you Aces is much appreciated!!

Patrick (AKA 'Target Practice')

1. At high altitude you have to switch on electric fuel pump (beneath trim wheel, a bit tricky to see the switch). Also you will be good if you switch on the fuel tank pressurization (at fuel gauge side), but not so mandatory as electric fuel pump.

2. Sim profile is not working in game mode, it should be on the "easy" profile. Weird it doesn't save the changes, are you finishing the edit with the Ok button or maybe hitting Esc by any chance?

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The electric pump is to be turned on after takeoff and turned off prior to landing. Otherwise high altitude or high power settings for a few minutes will lead to low fuel pressure. Also, at high altitude, you are supposed to turn on the tank pressure. Otherwise your engine may sputter when you reach a critical altitude.

There may be a guy, grafspee, who will barge in here and holler that it isn't necessary/practical to turn on the tank pressure. I have left my tank pressure off before, and had an issue where my Spitfire could not break through 16-17,000 without the engine losing power. It didn't break through that alt barrier until I turned on the tank pressure, so I can surely say that it is simulated, and neccessary at times.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

reason why engien is dying is that low outside pressure is creating fuel vapor in main fuel lines cousing mechnical fuel pump to starve of fuel, electric fuel pum is pressurising fuel lines preventing vaport to appeare this is what i think is happening at least very similar situation when you will fly in negative g for too long

you suposed to turn on fuel pressure only when low pressure lamp will light on but only then,

normaly electric fuel pump on

those 2 should be on just before t/o left = pitot heater right one = electric fuel pump

WJ1RNgR.jpg

fuel pressure on only whne this lamp will light on while engine is running ofc

hqmNptU.jpg

will drop soem engine limitation chart too

l68TRaP.png

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

The electric pump is to be turned on after takeoff and turned off prior to landing. Otherwise high altitude or high power settings for a few minutes will lead to low fuel pressure. Also, at high altitude, you are supposed to turn on the tank pressure. Otherwise your engine may sputter when you reach a critical altitude.

There may be a guy, grafspee, who will barge in here and holler that it isn't necessary/practical to turn on the tank pressure. I have left my tank pressure off before, and had an issue where my Spitfire could not break through 16-17,000 without the engine losing power. It didn't break through that alt barrier until I turned on the tank pressure, so I can surely say that it is simulated, and neccessary at times.

i can brake 20k ft without looking at this handle at all all you need it electric pump on

you can switch this pump for a split second to remove need for manual fuel pump use before start up,

it is absolutely forbiden to run electric fuel pump whiel engine is not running while mixture control in run position

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I've never seen someone fight learning so hard before.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

the engine limit chart makes me think becouse in dcs manual we got 12 lbs boost(not saying that 12lbs is too low actualy spit is launching like a space rocket at this boost during t/o) for t/o as limit so acording to spitfire manual we have merlin 61 or 63 becouse merlin 66 was cleared for 18 lbs t/o boost but combat power is rated at merlin 66 level 18lbs so im a little confused here

Edited by grafspee

I've never seen someone fight learning so hard before.

have you event tested that ?? i have no idea why you need to swtich tank pressure on to pass 16k ft i've never ever done this in dcs and i did climb pass this point im trying to understant what are you doing wrong in engine managment

this fuel tank pressure looks like some remnant from previous spits versions which werent equiped with electric fuel pump, in spit manual this pressure handle isnt mentioned at all in any state of flight

anyway normal position for this handle is off position and turned on only when fuel pressure warning lamp pops up acording to dcs manual

and couple ppl agreed in previous conversation that electric fuel pump on is all you need

i didnt say that fuel pressure handle dont work i only said that switching it on w/o reason(unless low pressure warning lamp ON) is not realistic at all.

Another reason why you dont want tank pressure on is while be in combat situation when you get your fuel tank hit while under pressurisation you will blow fuel out of tank very quickly so you have to turn it off as fast as possible, this way it's just better to leave it in off position all the time, turn it on when fuel pressure problem occure simple as that

Edited by grafspee