Thorttle Curves?

reece146

I have a slight curve on my Thrustmaster Warthog to sync the afterburners in-game with the afterburner detent on the hardware.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

Well, '52 doesn't have an afterburner... ;)

Is the real throttle linear? I don't know. The cabling/levers behind the quadrant could be non-linear.

It seems like the first half of the throw of the throttle out of the box does little of the virtual movement so the mapped linear does not seem to translate to a linear reaction curve. Or maybe it's set that way intentionally to emulate the real thing or to make formation flying in game easier. I don't know hence the question.

I don't have it in front of me at the moment but the more I fly this plane the more it feels like something is off with the throttle setup.

Well, it's always possible that the real control is non-linear, but I've had no troubles whatsoever with a linear (i.e. no curves) setup. How about making a counter-curve of sorts and see if that helps?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I think I figured out my problem... and it is probably working properly out of the box.

Tonight I did some flying south of Nalchik and as I climbed over the mountains I was at about 5000m. The throttle was very ineffective beyond about 20% - which makes sense I guess given how thin the air is at that height - guessing that is what is being modelled.

The other times I rarely got above 2000m so didn't really make the connection I guess... just was noticing an inconsistency that I didn't understand. At low altitudes the throttle gives feedback throughout the entire throttle throw - more or less.

During the climb I forgot to open the oil and engine cooling flaps till I noticed it at 5000m. Both were pegged red when I noticed! Oil temp went down quickly once opened but engine temp remained pegged - must have broken the gauge. Ha!

I think you are missing an important characteristic of Yak52. For this airplane throttle alone is not enough to control, but need to be used together with the RPM lever.... actually is more work in RPM then in throttle itself. Try re-read the manual and watch the following video:

As a side note, a good practice is to set throttle to 80%, then use only RPM for speed adjustments when in formation for example. No need for curves or anything... is just this plane behaviour!

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

For certain, I am operating the engine correctly I think. I am setting the engine to ~62% for fuel miser cruise and higher depending on what I'm doing - generally following the guides in the manual.

Most of the time I am bush flying and need to improvise to climb out of the valleys, land on fields, plateaus, etc. but most of the time am trying to stretch the small fuel load as far as possible.

For example, yesterday when climbing out of the valley to get over the mountains I realized that i had the engine humming at ~70% rpm and something like 80% throttle. As I climbed and was losing power I realized I was not going to make it out of the valley and I eventually ended up at 100% rpm and throttle. Ended up zig-zagging gently back and forth in the valley to increase my flight path length to make the space to climb to altitude.

I will check out the video - always something new to discover, refine technique.