Improved Artillery

TJTAS

Probably wasting my time as ED don't seem to care about CA but:-

It would be nice to have an improved artillery interface and system. The current system does not reflect the way in which artillery is really used or called. I honestly think improving artillery would also make them a more important target for air power. Things which I think could be improved are.

• An artillery dialogue accessible through and FO (or JTAC bino view) with the size and number of rounds to call.
  • Different types of ammunition and missions available (Smoke, HE, ICM)
  • The ability to set up a number of firing positions and have Artillery units cycle through the positions that are assigned to them.
  • Ammunition haulers dedicated to the artillery unit which would ferry ammo from supply points.
  • the ability to have a stockpile of ammo with an artillery unit for rapid replenishment (and with inherent risks).
  • Towed artillery units with the necessity of prime movers and the risks involved with Hitching/unhitching periods.
  • Less instant accuracy and the ability to call single rounds for adjustment.
  • Holding or cancelling fire orders.
  • Repeating and adjust fire missions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I also support your wishes. Our squadron has just tested the artillery and we are very disappointed. We thought about introducing artillery in JTAC training. But at this time it is realy realy "arcade"

To your list we would add:

- Impact time

- select a target for manual fire (firesolution for manual fire)

If you are ok with using a scripted version that you can use in your missions and call in arty requests via F10 map menu marking then checkout what FunkyFranky developed for the MOOSE framework.

I have some videos of a mission I am play testing using these features:

Development documentation on the Arty Class: https://flightcontrol-master.github.io/MOOSE_DOCS_DEVELOP/Documentation/Arty.html

Just another thing. It's a bit silly that you can actually snipe with the artillery. There's no wind impact I believe and , no spread of the landing rounds - unless you choose to. Very silly. Unless you just play as Game Master.

There is with the Moose variant or at least with mortars. And I think it just uses standard DCS functionality.

Just another thing. It's a bit silly that you can actually snipe with the artillery. There's no wind impact I believe and , no spread of the landing rounds - unless you choose to. Very silly. Unless you just play as Game Master.

Really? Even if they have no line of sight? Mine take ages to actually hit the mark and crater the whole region in the process.

Not sure which one is worse, to be honest, since apparently a 155mm HE round needs to hit a truck dead-on to actually destroy it.

In total I agree it would be nice to have a better artillery interface. But really, that's just the start, because the whole UI of Combined Arms is - frankly - catastrophic.