Stick accuracy

I went down to Home Depot a while ago and picked up a bit of PVC pipe and jammed it between the grip of my stick and the stick base. So the stick is now 1.5 feet long, which gives me great precision (highly recommended) I used a logitech extreme 3d for the base because I noticed the stick had no deadzone. This set up works great however I was doing some A2A refueling and I noticed if I moved the stick a quarter inch at the top it didn't register that ingame. So I went to DIView and noticed that my stick doesn't have the resolution for those tiny movements. I'm wondering where the bottle neck is here. Is it the encoders or is it the main board in the stick? If it's the main board anyone know of a good mainboard I can replace it with?

1575627701_20160410_221812(1).thumb.jpg.076c686c513f5f8d8888fed16fa3a325.jpg

• Like 1

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As you increase the lever, the movement in top of joystick is now almost double, what allow have better control over flight making smaller movement.

But as now you move the joystick less, you turn the potentiometer less too and this decrease the USB controller precision.

The voltage across potentiometer (or sensor) will vary less, with this smaller movement.

Of course you can move the top of joystick all the way possible but this probable make conflict with legs and knees. :)

Logitech 3D PRO USB controller is, at the best, 10 bits (1024 points) - if the potentiometer is turned all projected course, generally 30/40 degrees (joy' pot' use special serigraphy) - but now you turn then less.

If the standard joystick top move ~20 cm, and with extension you move the same 20 cm the reduction in USB Controller precision will be about 40%.

In worse case, if 3D PRO is 8 bits (256 points) the reduction in precision became very noticeable.

In Warthog with extension (most used add less than 20 cm in length) this USB controller precision reduction is not issue because their resolution - alleged 16 bits (65.535 points) - is more than human hands can manage. :)

In resume: What cause the issue is not the USB Controller, but the sensor (potentiometer, HALL sensor, etc) that now with extension is no more turned the amount of degrees for what the the joystick was projected.

Simudza SIMM8rge USB controller and their Melexis HALL sensors allow you set full resolution with any angle, or movement in top of joystick, just setting in their firmware configurator.

DIY MMJoy2 USB Controller allow a workaround with "oversampling", be setting a high, e.g. 14 bits resolution to achieve practical 10/11 bits - this will vary with sensor used.

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 2

The 3D Pro is has a 1024 resolution. So it sounds like the way to go is to either get the MMJoy or find something with 16K resolution. Because adding a better pot or halleffect sensor wouldn't do because the stick can't actually detect the changes. Thanks for the help man

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]