Adding skins to BS2?

-Ice

How do I add skins to BS2? Is it possible to have more than the default number of skins? For instance, USA has 3 skins to choose from, can I increase that to 5 skins?

Thanks!

1) Copy a skin folder from "Bazar\Liveries\Ka-50"

2) In the description.lua edit the filenames, skinname and country of your skin

3) Copy your skin files in the folder "Bazar\TempTextures"

4) Lets fly :-)

Edited by CHSubZero

My Mods: DCS User Files

Modules owned: EVERY Module :pilotfly:

Additionally under the descriptions.lua (open with notepad), you will see the country name, for example, "RUS" for Russia. You can add the "country code" to any of the skins you want and they will all be accessible in the mission editor for which ever country you desire.

If you add completely new skins keep in mind that they require entries in the graphics.cfg file. I am at work so I cannot give more specific example.

Recommend lockonfiles.com for more info.

Edited by mjolner

Most of the skins are located in Bazaar/world/textures. You will need a cdds viewer/converter to change the file to bmp that can be manipulated using Psp or similar program.

Again can't recommend lockonfiles enough. There is an excellent Pdf tutorial for BS. The file scheme has changed slightly for BS v2.

Flanker explains all this in the above link.

CDDS converter??? In DCS:WH and BS2 most of the skins are in zip files...

Open the dds files in the newest version of paint.net (supports DDS file format)

In BS1 / FC2 you need the CDDS converter mentioned above...

You are right sorry, I have been converting BS v1 skins over and was explaining it from that angle.

A lot of user created skins from lockonfiles are in cdds format and I found I needed to convert them into individual dds in order for them to work. Sorry for any confusion.

Did'nt know about paint.net thanks for the info.

Why adding the new skins to graphics.cfg???

Never done this and they are accesible...

When you add new skins you are getting them to work without adding this line (for example) in the graghics.cfg:

path = ".\\Bazar\\World\\textures\\Ka-50_Fictional_Worn_Black";

Just curious because I thought it was required.

Edited by mjolner

I'm sorry, I'm very very confused now.

I was able to add a RUS skin to the USA inventory of skins simply by going to the RUS skin description.lua file and add a "USA" to the countries line, so that's cool. Note to self -- description.lua files tells the game that this skin is available to these countries.

However, I now want to find that RUS skin, edit out the red star, and change it with some other USA logo. I cannot seem to find the appropriate file (KA-50-PAINT1-DEF-01.bmp) on the /World/textures folder though.

- Ice

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this, but I too am a little confused.

I'm trying to convert some BS1 skins over. I've already pulled the images out as .bmp & also have paint.net to convert to .dds files.

What all do I need to do in order to at least make them modman install possible (to share with the rest of the group)?

description.lua?

graphics.cfg?

Please explain like I'm an idiot. I'm ignorant enough in this area to carry the label.