Are DCS weapons standardized?

Belphe

In today's patch notes we can read (in the Viggen update - not in the General DCS World 2.5 update):

"Reworked overall Sidewinder seeker behaviour."

Does this mean that each of the developers makes "their own" version of a Sidewinder, Maverick and PaveWay?!

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would expect that the swedish version of the Sidewinder and Maverick to be slightly different from the "standard" and so it doesnt surprise me if Heatblur do have customized the standard weapons for their use.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Ah, so the AIM-9M on the Hornet, Warthog and Tiger II are identical?

That's my understanding as well. Heatblur uses its own Sidewinder variants, but the others are standardized. Another case that comes to mind are the R-60 missiles which are not just used by ED (e.g. Su-25), but also by 3rd party developer LNS/M3 for their MiG-21. In this case they use EDs standardized missiles afaik. The Tomcat will also use EDs standardized AIM-7s, but I'm not sure which Sidewinders the Tomcat will use (EDs Sidewinders or Heatblurs own Viggen Sidewinders).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The swedish ones are different, based on:

RB24 - AIM-9B

RB-24J - AIM-9J

RB-74 - AIM-9L

Check: http://www.robotmuseum.se/Mappar/Robothistorik/10_Jakt/ARM_Rb74.htm

Other weapons are clearly shared, but it's hard to tell which are and which ones are not. For example the LAU-61 pods decrease performance of the airplane extremely in all cases - F-5E-3, AV-8B N/A and F/A-18C, which reveals why thanks to the Checklist page showing weight, one single pod is ~2000lb, 10 times of what it should be.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

For example the LAU-61 pods decrease performance of the airplane extremely in all cases - F-5E-3, AV-8B N/A and F/A-18C, which reveals why thanks to the Checklist page showing weight, one single pod is ~2000lb, 10 times of what it should be.

good find. did you already report that as a bug?

The swedish ones are different, based on:

RB24 - AIM-9B

RB-24J - AIM-9J

RB-74 - AIM-9L

Check: http://www.robotmuseum.se/Mappar/Robothistorik/10_Jakt/ARM_Rb74.htm

Other weapons are clearly shared, but it's hard to tell which are and which ones are not. For example the LAU-61 pods decrease performance of the airplane extremely in all cases - F-5E-3, AV-8B N/A and F/A-18C, which reveals why thanks to the Checklist page showing weight, one single pod is ~2000lb, 10 times of what it should be.

According to Heatblur the RB-24J is the AIM-9P. But anyways, we have the AIM-9B (GAR-8), AIM-9P and the AIM9L in DCS already, so they should have been able to just use them instead of developing their own variants.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

According to Heatblur the RB-24J is the AIM-9P. But anyways, we have the AIM-9B (GAR-8), AIM-9P and the AIM9L in DCS already, so they should have been able to just use them instead of developing their own variants.

Do we know whether they use the existing variants of the AIM-9, though? If the missiles have a different name, it's entirely possible that they have put together their own set of variables and behavior.

I remember when the F-5E3 was released, there was an initial bug (long since fixed) where the AIM-9P (or might have been AIM-9P5?) seeker head had an extremely narrow FOV, so that you had to point it directly at the target's engines to lock and then quickly uncage the seeker head to track. It was fixed relatively quickly, but I remember that the bug was specific to the F-5E3 at the time.

Do we know whether they use the existing variants of the AIM-9, though? If the missiles have a different name, it's entirely possible that they have put together their own set of variables and behavior.

I remember when the F-5E3 was released, there was an initial bug (long since fixed) where the AIM-9P (or might have been AIM-9P5?) seeker head had an extremely narrow FOV, so that you had to point it directly at the target's engines to lock and then quickly uncage the seeker head to track. It was fixed relatively quickly, but I remember that the bug was specific to the F-5E3 at the time.

As I said above: AFAIK they use their own Sidewinder implementations. Otherwise they would not need to fix them by themselves as happened in the patch.

Tornado3 small.jpg