Samsung Odyssey review - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #31
dmwierz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
VR is on verge of doom, again.
With all due respect, I don't know how anyone who has experienced VR can say that, but we're all absolutely entitled to our own respective opinions. Time will tell who is correct.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #32
Fri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman109 View Post
I can understand offline play with VR in it's current state, but how anyone survives vs non-VR players of even close to equal skill in PvP online servers....
It is serious handicap to fly in VR as you can't read the cockpit instruments to do the maneuvers and spot the target easily. Once you lose the target, it is difficult to reacquire even if you are <1km and looking somewhere nearby.

It is just frustrating when you can not see!

You feel like you have lost your vision compared what a display gives.

The VR still gives a far better maneuver controls as you know better which way you are, but it is very small benefit compared that you are many critical moments pulling G's and after blackout when you should find target front of you, it is not there and every second counts you live or you die.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #33
dburne
Veteran

Well I am sure having a blast flying in VR, and have been for over a year now.
No 2d games reside on my computer any longer.

I am a SP only guy though, so I am sure that helps...

Based on all the interest and companies getting into the VR arena, I can't see it being "doomed".
Lot of good stuff to come yet.

EVGA X79 Dark MB|4820K @ 4.50 Ghz|16gb Corsair Platinum 2133 Mhz| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro|VPC T-50 |Warthog Throttle|MFG Pedals|Oculus Rift CV1|
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #34
Gizzy

Quote:
It is serious handicap to fly in VR as you can't read the cockpit instruments to do the maneuvers and spot the target easily. Once you lose the target
Totally disagree.

I can read all cockpit instruments without difficulty in all 13 modules I own but of course this is dependent on your system, the way you set it up and your mindset.

980ti OC my end, seat / camera adjusted so that the viewed cyclic / joystick 'appears' naturally where my real life cyclic / joystick / hand is. DCS often by default has the view set further back from the instruments

I can understand difficulty if PvP with opponents who may have large monitor(s) (sometime 5!) and use the zoom function in 2D to maximum advantage.

In rotary craft VR excells in most situations as it can do in other airframes in many scenarios.

Far too many DCS modules, a black box full of expensive
gizmos, more controllers and buttons than the space shuttle,
a face mask and a big TV!

Last edited by Gizzy; 03-13-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Gizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #35
dmwierz

Gizzy makes an excellent point. Adjusting my “IPD” in DCS to where I just barely can see the top of my flighstick (approximately what I’d see IRL; my peripheral vision can barely see my hand when looking straight ahead) made a huge improvement in the readability of the instruments when using the Odyssey. That and setting my PD to 1.5

Last edited by dmwierz; 03-13-2018 at 02:47 PM.
dmwierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #36
j0nx

I've never even heard of the SO. I guess that means they aren't doing a very good job at marketing it. I assume that DCS and XP11 etc all support this thing? How is the desktop software now compared to the Rift's which has really gotten nice in the past year?

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz | 16 GB DDR4 3000 | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | SanDisk 240GB & 480GB SSD, Seagate 2TB | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift CV1, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf
j0nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #37
Gizzy

5 settings to consider adjusting to maximise VR clarity and display definition...... the first 3 will effect your frame rate

Under Options, System
  • Texture Setting (for me, High)
  • Res of Cockpit Display (for me, 1024)

Under Options / VR
  • Pixel Density (for me 1.6 or 1.8 map dependent)
  • Force IPD Distance (for me 50 but you can quickly experiment in game without restarts via options)

Under Controls for airframe
  • Cockpit Camera Move Forward / Back (for me, move forward until when looking at the cyclic / joystick in VR I 'sense' it is where in RL my hand is)
Under your brain...
  • regularly clean the device lens with the right cloth
  • if wearing glasses as I do, every day I use the Rift, clean your spectacle lens - it is a muck magnet, this I cant stress enough
  • if wearing glasses ensure they are correctly positioned...

Far too many DCS modules, a black box full of expensive
gizmos, more controllers and buttons than the space shuttle,
a face mask and a big TV!
Gizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #38
Thick8

I have no issues spotting bogies. Odyssey, IPD @ 71 (matching my actual IPD), PD @ 1.3, MSAA@2. I set my viewpoint to match actual cockpit position via the snapview lua by matching my seat position to the seat position in the aircraft then adjusted my controls position to align as well.
I was flying a Huey online in the 104th server the other day. I was in a flight of 2 with a guy using TIR and a 1080p tv as his monitor. When he spotted a bogie he would call it out and I could see it. It's not as clear as the 50" 4k tv that I was using but VR blows it out of the water in so many other respects that there is no contest IMO.
Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Corsair DDR4/3000 | 2Tb Samsung 960 evo | Samsung Odyssey VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground
Thick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #39
dmwierz

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
I've never even heard of the SO. I guess that means they aren't doing a very good job at marketing it. I assume that DCS and XP11 etc all support this thing? How is the desktop software now compared to the Rift's which has really gotten nice in the past year?
The Samsung Odyssey is a Windows Mixed Reality HMD. Also offering WMR HMD's are Lenovo, Dell, HP, Acer and Asus. WMR HMD's are relatively new, having been introduced in late 2017.

If you're not in the US, though, you might have trouble getting one.

You can run Steam and Rift titles via SteamVR and Revive, and the WMR home is call the Cliff House.

Here are some intro videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asC-Axnjk9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLFR8E0F4bA&t=230s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmDObrN_DzA
Old 03-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #40
=Buckeye=

Quote:
It is serious handicap to fly in VR as you can't read the cockpit instruments to do the maneuvers and spot the target easily. Once you lose the target, it is difficult to reacquire even if you are <1km and looking somewhere nearby.

It is just frustrating when you can not see!

You feel like you have lost your vision compared what a display gives.

The VR still gives a far better maneuver controls as you know better which way you are, but it is very small benefit compared that you are many critical moments pulling G's and after blackout when you should find target front of you, it is not there and every second counts you live or you die.
I seem to do just fine in MP, despite the "VR handicap", and know of a few other guys that do just fine online as well

I can also read pretty much anything in the cockpit as well, only some things need a super quick zoom in to validate (used to need to do the same on a monitor as well though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thick8 View Post
I have no issues spotting bogies. Odyssey, IPD @ 71 (matching my actual IPD), PD @ 1.3, MSAA@2. I set my viewpoint to match actual cockpit position via the snapview lua by matching my seat position to the seat position in the aircraft then adjusted my controls position to align as well.
I was flying a Huey online in the 104th server the other day. I was in a flight of 2 with a guy using TIR and a 1080p tv as his monitor. When he spotted a bogie he would call it out and I could see it. It's not as clear as the 50" 4k tv that I was using but VR blows it out of the water in so many other respects that there is no contest IMO.
Just a heads up that your IPD in-game shouldn't match your IRL IPD from your eye doctor...two totally different things.
Odyssey+ VR HMD | Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Extension by Sahaj + TM Warthog Grip | Custom JetSeat SE | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2

On Order:
Pimax 5K+

VR Rig:
ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti @ 2.1ghz | i7-4790K @ 5.0ghz | Dell U3415W Curved 21:9 3440x1440 on Ergotron LX Tall mount | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB | (x2) Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
=Buckeye= is offline   Reply With Quote