Saudi F-15 shot down over Yemen - Page 34 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #331
Emu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,013
Default

Theoretically, but it looks very glitchy, almost as if it jumps reel from one to the other.

And to do what looks like a 90deg uncontrolled roll inadvertently in <0.25s and it suddenly stop at that is curious. Literally in the time it take for that flash, the plane has flipped and then stops - a blink. I don't dispute that an F-15 got hit, since there seems to be two independent sources verifying that, but perhaps my initial impression of this video was correct, i.e. it's a hoax.

PS: It would also nicely draw a line under any further (over-)analysis of the video.

Last edited by Emu; 03-12-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #332
Hummingbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,568
Default

Back to the video being a fake now I see... *facepalm*
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #333
SinusoidDelta
Member
 
SinusoidDelta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend_Dellepude View Post
Upward force on the right side could cause this.
Possibly, but in the video the orientation change is instantaneous or at least occurs completely between frames, carrying no momentum into the following frames(s). Aside from just an orientation change the flight path before and after intercept appears to change completely.

I don’t know the reason for manipulating the video or what it would imply. I don’t doubt that the aircraft was damaged in the incident either. Just wanted to point it out.
SinusoidDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #334
Svend_Dellepude
Senior Member
 
Svend_Dellepude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,329
Default

You might be right!
The smoketrail seems to be a lot shorter too right after the flash. Fishy..
__________________

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.
Svend_Dellepude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #335
Hummingbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,568
Default

The video is legit, the aircraft is rolling even before the strike and in the moment just before impact it is in the midst of a roll to the left, thus after the flash you see it belly up. Nothing fishy about it at all.

Don't turn this into a pseudo Roshwell incident people.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #336
Emu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,013
Default

The roll is way to fast to stop that suddenly IMO. It's also highly convenient that the entire roll takes place during the period the aircraft is covered by the flash.
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #337
Emu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
The video is legit, the aircraft is rolling even before the strike and in the moment just before impact it is in the midst of a roll to the left, thus after the flash you see it belly up. Nothing fishy about it at all.

Don't turn this into a pseudo Roshwell incident people.
We're talking about a video coming from the Houthi militia here. Hardly equivalent.

And what would be the consequences of losing a stab mid-roll? It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would lead to an apparently controlled manoeuvre.

Last edited by Emu; 03-13-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #338
kolga
Member
 
kolga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Depends on where I am.
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
You know posting the names of two missiles doesn't prove anything right? I'm calling BS until you produce evidence.

He answered your question, no need to get snarky.
__________________
"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese
"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4
"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV
i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64
kolga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #339
kolga
Member
 
kolga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Depends on where I am.
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinusoidDelta View Post
I just came across this tweet suggesting possible image manipulation. After watching the slowed down footage the aircraft orientation is inconsistent before and after the “intercept”.

Good find, makes sense! Looks to abrupt for an intentional roll.
__________________
"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese
"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4
"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV
i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64
kolga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #340
kolga
Member
 
kolga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Depends on where I am.
Posts: 518
Default

Ok, so i know that the realness of the video is back in question, but just in case if it is found genuine i'll reply.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
The length is 10m. The AIM-9X flash is 2.5-4m, therefore it is not as big in one dimension but the flash in the OP video is twice as big.
Soo, your wrong and so you switch topics? AIM-9X flash is bigger than afterburners. Twice as big as what?

Quote:
Oh, the motor section broke off on its own did it? How strange, because the remaining missile seems to be roughly as long as a full missile ~3m.
I thought you said the video was extremely grainy?

Quote:
Because IIR missiles target specific areas of the aircraft for maximum damage effect rather than just going after the hottest park. This typically means a mid-fuselage strike. Yet I can see the missile, still intact.
And yet missiles can lock on the sun, the hottest part. Just because most of the missile is still intact doesn't mean its unscathed, if anything it supports the no-small-warhead position.

Quote:
You should be careful about interpreting what you read. If no ignition was required, what exactly determines when the motor ignites? Dinitrogen Tetroxide is the oxidiser.
I was just pointing out that your invalid example of rocket fuel was even more invalid because it is highly explosive, something you kept denying.

Quote:
The small warhead claim was made for the first intercept image, not the second. The second it a more typical CoM fuselage strike as intended.
Yeah, i was referring to the first one.

Quote:
A source for how I know they use live warheads in some missile tests?
Yep, you have yet to state your source for that knowledge.

Quote:
Which is why it's very unlikely the remnant fuel in the missile could cause such a flash.
What is why? There probably being 1 or more seconds left??? That makes no sense.

Quote:
Because they are both systems of similar quality. If one was NVG-like, then it would be vastly different.
So what you are saying is, that police chopper FLIR and Attack chopper FLIR are the same? That also makes no sense.

Also during the flash in the hellfire videos there is a grey overlay on the flash which is not on the OP.

Quote:
Where have you derived the 28m figure from for a start? Secondly, yes explosive setting off fuel in air can make a far bigger flash because it's spreading the fuel out over a huge volume.
The video you posted, the "white hot human" one, I measured the wall next to the dude to get an estimation for 1m, then measured the flash and divided that by the amount of px to make 1m.

Quote:
because missiles don't tend to explode without the warhead. One of the early AIM-9s actually stuck in a Chinese MiG, and was promptly copied. And the one in your second intercept video passes straight through.
I am not saying that missiles always explode like heck without warhead, just that they can.

Quote:
And if the pilot doesn't know, the contractor sure as hell wouldn't.
Why not? They should know more about the structure than the pilots.

Quote:
Yup.
Quote:
Yes, a full-size warhead can produce a flash that large in normal video. There's an ASRAAM strike at the end of this video. Full-size warhead. You'll note the glow debris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1c674SPjDM
What the heck? Like you say Super grainy video. And what are you trying to say?
__________________
"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese
"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4
"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV
i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64
kolga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:55 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.