Engine Shutdown after Stall

-Mop-

When i´m in dogfight and on the six of an opponent it sometimes happens that im stalling... but this is not the problem...

when this happens for the first time the engine stutters for a few seconds... nothing more... but if this happens for the second or third time, the engine shuts down and the propeller gets stuck...

in the airtime i try to start the engine... the propeller turns, but the engine doesnt ignite anymore...

what has happend? and how can i prevent this?

Here´s the track... somehow the incident happens after about the fifth stall...

i recognised, that the caburetor temp decreased beyond the green zone... but this is all i realized...

one difference: This time was even able to get the propeller turning in the try of an engine Start.

thx for your help

Engine Shutdown.trk

• ED Team

Looks like overheat. Check temperature gauges.

Anyway, if you are using MIL or WEP be sure you have enough average speed during the fight.

Though the coolant system is pressurised you easily can boil it. There is no effect of steam trail yet (sorry!) but the logical consequences will be fatal.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Looks like overheat. Check temperature gauges.

Anyway, if you are using MIL or WEP be sure you have enough average speed during the fight.

is there a way to keep the engine cool during dogfight... the only thing i do i flying behind the opponent til i get him... so his engine doesn´t seem to overheat... so what is he doing better than me... i dont use WEP...

would pulling back throttle during zero g time help?

doing something with the carburetor levers on the left of the seat would help?

checking gauges is one thing, preventing them from leaving the green zone another...

Thx very much so far

• ED Team
is there a way to keep the engine cool during dogfight... the only thing i do i flying behind the opponent til i get him... so his engine doesn´t seem to overheat... so what is he doing better than me... i dont use WEP...

would pulling back throttle during zero g time help?

doing something with the carburetor levers on the left of the seat would help?

checking gauges is one thing, preventing them from leaving the green zone another...

Thx very much so far

I bet that your opponent had higher speed all that time... :) Anyway, the best way to escape overheating is to keep as much speed as you can.

One more info: if you got hit, the automatic radiator control can say you "Fairwell!" So, check the temperature and be ready to manually open radiators (or try to do it, because it can be impossible because of actuator failure).

Edited by Yo-Yo

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

The oil temperature changes too quickly in certain cases. For example, when the engine died, the oil temp will drop from the redline to zero in several secends. The tail slide maneuver with military power will cause overheat of the engine. The engine will have a strange sound and will die if not reduce the power immediately.

The oil system has 21 U.S gallons of capacity, and every degree(K) change in temp needs about 132kJ of energy.

Edited by billeinstein

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
The oil temperature changes too quickly in certain cases. For example, when the engine died, the oil temp will drop from the redline to zero in several secends. The tail slide maneuver with military power will cause overheat of the engine.

The oil system has 21 U.S gallons of capacity, and every degree(K) change in temp needs about 132kJ of energy.

I do know school physics. But the key point is WHERE the oil temp sensor is situated and what magic can deliver all this gallons to it if the engine died.

• ED Team
Is that mean the oil pump will stop as soon as the engine died and the sensor is in the oil radiator?

Oil pump is gear driven from the crankshaf and the sensor is really at the output line from the radiator.

right now the same happens during take off...

i set a manifold pressure of 30 as im told... then i do pretty nice take off... the engine starts to stutter... an then dies

these problems never happend before 1.2.2... so what has changed since the new patch

Check the oil pressure gauge as you run it up. If the oil is too cold it will also be too thick, and the pressure will be huge. If you're flying in cold weather you can use the oil dilution switch to mix some petrol in with the oil and make it thinner, or you can just have a nice relaxed ten minutes of waiting while your engine warms up properly.

Win10 x64, 16 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 1600X @3.60 GHz, 500 GB SSD, GeForce 1080 Ti

Check the oil pressure gauge as you run it up. If the oil is too cold it will also be too thick, and the pressure will be huge. If you're flying in cold weather you can use the oil dilution switch to mix some petrol in with the oil and make it thinner, or you can just have a nice relaxed ten minutes of waiting while your engine warms up properly.

Ok... but does this help in the case of sudden overheating?

One more bug here. I tried more than 10s of inverted flight. The fuel pressure will drop, not the oil pressure. But the manual said on page 38:

"However, when the aircraft is in inverted flight, the oil pressure falls off, because no oil reaches the scavenger pump. For this reason, inverted flight must be limited to 10 seconds."

I believe the injection-type carburetor will not cut the fuel in inverted flight longer than 10s.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
One more bug here. I tried more than 10s of inverted flight. The fuel pressure will drop, not the oil pressure. But the manual said on page 38:

"However, when the aircraft is in inverted flight, the oil pressure falls off, because no oil reaches the scavenger pump. For this reason, inverted flight must be limited to 10 seconds."

I believe the injection-type carburetor will not cut the fuel in inverted flight longer than 10s.

You are definetely right. Carburettor does not. Fuel intake in the tank does. But you are right again - oil starvation was not ready till the release deadline. Will be later.

Oil pump is gear driven from the crankshaf and the sensor is really at the output line from the radiator.

i found the oil temp gauge should has the senser after the oil tank outlet, not after the radiator.

The pic is from the maual of F-51D.

1319242355_coolingsystem.thumb.jpg.974e9dce570383ed3b91278a2a71601c.jpg

Edited by billeinstein

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]