Pattern work

BlacleyCole

I’m in the process of building a mission where the object is to spawn do the -10 checklist for startup, taxi, takeoff, landing and shutdown. Making all radio calls as they should be when they should be.

Here’s what I know

Resquest startup

Request hover check

Request taxi

If told to hold short then call informing atc that you are holding short and need permission to proceed.

Request for take off

Notification of turn

Request to land, touch and go, go around, emergency land etc as needed

Request to tact back to parking,

Any shutdown call that need to be made prior to shutdown

I know the format will be as follows

Atc name. - callsigns and unit number request so and so

Atc responds with info and permissions

I’m not 100% which agency to use for each call but expect atc will hand me off when appropriate

Something like this

Gnd fo startup, hover then handed off to tower for taxi and everything fill I get ready to request take off then handed off to departure once airborne be handed off to center until I get in the final leg of the pattern then handed off to approach until I land the back to tower until I get to the parking spot wher I’m handed off to ground to notify them of the shutdown.

Is this correct. If so I’m going to make a script template so I can script the messages for both side in case the ai is -1

And also work on Comm’s for when I function as atc some time I’ll have the template of most Comm’s for each position to include awacs, jtac, fac etc.

Edited by BlacleyCole

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Me too but i need help in getting it started with how and what and where to script it and the other thing I I might need that I’m not aware of in the beginning it will probably be best to use team viewer and team speak until i get the first script done since most are duplicates.

But i need the script for Comm’s so i know what and when to trigger them.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Me too but i need help in getting it started with how and what and where to script it and the other thing I I might need that I’m not aware of in the beginning it will probably be best to use team viewer and team speak until i get the first script done since most are duplicates.

But i need the script for Comm’s so i know what and when to trigger them.

I would like to help but I am the kind a guy the "cut the board 4 times and it was still to short"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

Me too i cant work with wood either but you may have the info i need. First i need all the atc communications that would occur between a cold and dark huey trough taxi, take off , holding short at Black/yellow checkered lines and the runway, then access to the runway pretakeoff checksand Comm’s takeoff clearance, handoffto depature, then Comm’s i. The pattern at each turn and then handoff to approach then back to tower on hover/touchdown if you cand script those that would be great. Thanks for helping out

Or if your a mission builder

You can walk me thru the scripting what goes where and which command is the best to use.

Must of it will be repeative just a different message at a different location then check yo se if the ac is where it should be hdg and alt wise. If you can help with that on team viewer and TeamSpeak that would be even better.

Edited by BlacleyCole

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

If the intent is to remain VFR at pattern altitude and within the control zone (usually 5-10NM of the airport, this can vary by airport), talking to departure/Center/approach is unnecessary. From takeoff to after landing, you would remain with tower.

Ground for taxi clearances to/from runway or helipad, though we frequently just talk to tower throughout as we will often go direct to or from the ramp or a taxiway nearby to save runway congestion. Most airports don’t require start up requests. Hover checks are usually just done after receipt of taxi clearances, unless they are very involved and take a long time.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

If you know how the helicopter pattern works at Nellis or know someone who does if you could assist me in laying it out in dcs nttr I would be much appreciated also same for all the atc calls that should be used. I read somewhere your initial startup request would include everything up till you switch to the departure controller iirc. That sounds great for tentents but for transit it needs to be broke down also taxi from the helo pad in the 66rqs area require two or more clearances to cross a black and yellow line plus having to hold short at the runway 03 end. From the transit area by base ops I don’t think you would have such problems. And if the wind changes the 21 end is real close to both parking areas.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

I've never flown into Nellis, but I am a Helo pilot with the RCAF, and airfield procedures are largely standard.

Most airfields do not require a request for startup - maybe Nellis does, I can't be sure. If you code that into the mission, it won't be terribly unrealistic.

In terms of clearances, the ground controller will give you the clearances you need to cross any runways (but they must specifically clear you across). Ground will take you as far as the hold short for the active runway, then tower will clear you onto the active once you switch to them.

Again, flying VFR patterns, there is no requirement whatsoever to speak to a departure controller. You would remain with tower throughout.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Do you request hover check then sit down or do it as part of the taxi authorization?

If I send you the Nellis AFB instruction would read thru the pattern and helo procedures and either send me the track file and or a written description of how you would fly a pattern flight there to include full stop to a hover, touch and go, and emergency landing or both if you have the time.

Edited by BlacleyCole

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

The hover check is really just a quick verification of power available and flight control responsiveness, so we do it when we lift after receiving taxi clearance. We call for taxi, pick up, turn into wind (if able), check the power, then continue the taxi as cleared.

I probably don't have time to record a track, but if you send me what you have on Nellis, I can give it a read and provide some advice if you'd like.

The other thing to consider is that, at a busy airport like Nellis, helicopters probably aren't doing circuits to the runway. Fast jets and slow helicopters don't mix very well in a circuit. More likely, the helos would depart Nellis for a training area somewhere and just do their circuits to a pad or open field somewhere.

Yeah from the info i read last night their patterns use a taxiway instead of the runway.

Here is the Nellis afi attached

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Yeah if i read it correctly they use a taxiway instead of the runway I wasn’t able to attach the file on my iPad but here are the applicable paragraphs

7.4. Clearance and Taxi Procedures. Locally based helicopters will normally park in the

Jolly Ramp area in front of 66th Rescue Squadron (66 RQS) or the Ramp in front of the hush

houses adjacent to Jolly Taxi lane. Helipads are movement areas requiring aircraft to receive

clearance from Nellis Tower prior to entry and exit. Aircraft will contact Nellis Ground with:

call sign, ATIS information, pad (Jolly or Transient), departure, squawk and flight-following

intentions. Aircraft will contact Nellis Tower short of the pad to receive clearance to taxi onto

the pad. Following hover checks, contact Nellis Tower for takeoff clearance.

A7.4.1. Arriving aircraft will be directed to an open helipad if traffic is located on the

requested landing pad. After landing at Jolly or Transient Helipad, aircraft will clear off the

pad with Tower then taxi direct to parking while monitoring Nellis Ground.

A7.4.2. Unless otherwise coordinated with 66 RQS/CC or DO to operate out of Jolly Ramp

area, Tower will direct all transit helicopter traffic to the Transient Helipad. AMOPS or TA

normally assigns specific parking.

5. Operations within Class B Airspace. Upon departing Class B airspace, aircraft shall not

re-enter without ATC approval. ATC clearance for any of the Class B departures/arrivals

constitutes clearance to operate within Class B airspace.

A7.6. Helicopter Departure/Arrival Routes. Departure routes are detailed below. For

arrivals, fly the reverse of the departure routing. If other routings are desired, coordinate with

Nellis Tower. Clearance will be obtained from Nellis Tower prior to crossing the extended

runway within 5 NM. Avoid North Las Vegas Class D airspace during west arrivals and

departures. Use caution for five antennas located at LSV R-312 1.7 DME (2,248 feet MSL). All

procedures are not for use in IMC. Use under basic VFR weather minimums only and aircrew

are responsible for terrain/obstacle avoidance. During periods of inclement weather when the

reported ceiling and/or visibility is less than VFR minimums, helicopter pilots may request a

Special VFR clearance to depart/arrive Nellis AFB. Class Bravo clearances will be issued in

accordance with direction of flight requested.

A7.6.1. Teardrop Modification. A modification to a published departure to initially takeoff

southerly or land northerly for adverse winds. Example of clearance: “REQUEST

TEARDROP GASS PEAK DEPARTURE.” Takeoff south-bound avoiding over flight of

aircraft on the taxiway when below 200 feet AGL. Remain west of the inside runway.

Remain below 500 feet AGL and proceed with requested departure.

A7.6.2. Gass Peak Departure/Arrival. Depart helipad northwest direct to western side of

FLEX. Remain at or below 500 feet AGL until clear of Class B airspace. Use caution for

power lines in vicinity.

A7.6.3. Dry Lake Departure/Arrival. Depart north/northeast to cross the North Gap

(approximately 2 NM east of Jettison Hill with power line going through the gap). Remain at

or below 500 feet AGL until clear of Class B airspace. Use caution for aircraft operating at

Winner LZ.

A7.6.4. Red Horse Departure/Arrival. Depart helipad north until intersecting I-15. Turn

right to parallel I-15 until abeam the sand dunes (N36 36.87 W114 56.05). Proceed direct to

the sand dunes and remain at or below 500 feet AGL until clear of Class B airspace.

A7.6.5. Sunrise Departure/Arrival. Depart the helipad direct to the South Gap (Lake Mead

Blvd between Sunrise and Frenchman Mountain). Remain at or below 500 feet AGL until

clear of Class B airspace.

A7.6.6. RED FLAG Departure/Arrival. Helicopters parked on the DOE ramp should depart

the airfield from Taxiway Golf, paralleling the active runway to the northeast until cleared by

Nellis Tower controllers to cross the runway’s extended centerline. Continue departure and

maintain at or below 500 feet AGL until clear of Class B airspace and proceed to “Dry Lake”

(N 36 28 W 114 53). During arrivals or departures, monitor local helicopter common

frequency (VHF-FM 40.80) for advisory of helicopter traffic using call signs “Jolly,

Mongoose or Sting.” (POC is RED FLAG Chief of Rotary Wing Operations).

A7.7. Traffic Pattern.

A7.7.1. At Nellis: RWY 03/21 pattern altitude 2,500 feet MSL, with downwind east of the

field. Base and crosswind limits are the Golf Course to the south and within 300 meters of

Perimeter Road fire pit to the north. On a workload permitting basis, locally assigned

helicopters will be authorized to fly practice approaches to Taxiway Golf with prior approval

from Nellis Tower. Helicopters will not fly below 200 feet AGL over any parked or taxiing

aircraft or vehicle, except in an emergency or when mission requirements dictate flight below

this altitude. Do not over fly aircraft on the DOE ramp. Practice instrument approaches for

helicopters are normally flown to RWY 21L. Standard climb out for subsequent approaches

will be: “CROSS DEPATURE END AT OR BELOW 3,000, TURN RIGHT HEADING 350,

MAINTAIN VFR AND CONTACT APPROACH.”

A7.7.2. During periods of inclimate weather when the reported ceiling and/or visibility is

less than VFR minima, local helicopter pilots may request a Special VFR clearance to

depart/arrive LSV. Class Bravo clearances will be issued IAW direction of flight requested.

Now I don’t think the regular pattern info shouldn’t apply

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

My read of that leads me even more to believe they wouldn't do VFR circuits at the airfield.

A more realistic setup would be to pick a piece of practice area outside the airfield control zone, somewhere in the ranges, and do circuits at that location. For mission design purposes, you could have the start, taxi, and departure as per one of the departure procedures above. Once in the practice area, do the manoeuvres you want to achieve, then return via the arrival procedure. I think this would be the most realistic.