DCS Mustang Developer Notes - Page 22 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #211
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek View Post
It is for merlins. These engines feature 1940s metallurgy, every start up is one nail to the coffin of such an engine. It goes so far that some operators have installed after market pre oiling pumps to their engines to pressurize the oil system for a few minutes before engine start up after a prolonged downtime. This can be seen in the video of Kermit Weeks operating his P-51.
All big engines need pre oiling event today big piston engines require before start presurise the oil system. For small engines like in car engines the pre oiling has so small factor in engine life span that nobody uses this. but in big engines its a wholle difrent world.
Another thing is that nowaday p-51s flight very rarely it could be like couple weeks between flights so owners of the old planes want stretch the life of the engine to max.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:54 AM   #212
Helihead(Digger)

The P51 needs 40c Oil temp before flight in DCS or otherwise expect a failure. The oil Temp Auto switch will not regulate the temp with any effect. Watch on climb out at 46inches MAP and 2700 Max Cont power at 170MPH indicated Airspeed it will red line. Open the oil cooler and it will come back to 85c This is a problem for the DCS Mustang
Helihead(Digger) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #213
Snapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helihead(Digger) View Post
The P51 needs 40c Oil temp before flight in DCS or otherwise expect a failure. The oil Temp Auto switch will not regulate the temp with any effect. Watch on climb out at 46inches MAP and 2700 Max Cont power at 170MPH indicated Airspeed it will red line. Open the oil cooler and it will come back to 85c This is a problem for the DCS Mustang

mmmmmm, both radiators seem to work for me on auto. Just have to open the water radiator before takeoff and then once you build enough speed(220mph or so) you put the water radiator back to auto. Your engine should be fine as long as its temps are below the red line.
Snapage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #214
Yo-Yo
Staff

Quote:
The point is, that the gage used in the cockpit for oil temperature
has red line Lower than the actual permitted temperature and the temperature the radiator begins to open. If you use Auto, the thermostatic controller maintains normal conditions, until the scoop gets its limit.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #215
Helihead(Digger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
has red line Lower than the actual permitted temperature and the temperature the radiator begins to open. If you use Auto, the thermostatic controller maintains normal conditions, until the scoop gets its limit.
Yoyo I have flown the P51 in DCS quite a lot It is a very nice plane to fly. a credit to the team. Though I don't agree with that comment. If the P51 is used in AUTO both oil and water the temp for water behaves like it should. However the oil temp will climb out side the normal (green) operation range when you climb at Vy 170mph at 2700 RPM and 46 inches, This appears to be higher than the Auto radiator setting can adjust to. If you open the oil rad manually you get the oil back in to the green at best climb. This clearly shows the oil rad system is not at its thermal limit. I am pretty sure that the designers of the P51 would not set it that way, in fact from a pilots perspective this needs some tweeking. You should not need to run an automatic Oil system in manual with a best rate climb and this is just another bone of contention for the P51. JUST TO STOP ALL THE CRAP ABOUT THE P51, FIX IT It PLEASE this is an awesome model and very fun to fly. It's a handful in combat with the Prop Gov and WEP issues(fix that today please) and it will be much loved till the DM comes out. Please Please let this bird fly to 600mph in a dive and simulate compressibility (the pitch becomes unstable as the pressure wave meets the elevator) Many many reports confirming this. Don't Clip this fantastic machine! http://www.spitfireperformance.com/m...s-12sept44.jpg
Old 02-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #216
grafspee

Quote:
Yoyo I have flown the P51 in DCS quite a lot It is a very nice plane to fly. a credit to the team. Though I don't agree with that comment. If the P51 is used in AUTO both oil and water the temp for water behaves like it should. However the oil temp will climb out side the normal (green) operation range when you climb at Vy 170mph at 2700 RPM and 46 inches, This appears to be higher than the Auto radiator setting can adjust to. If you open the oil rad manually you get the oil back in to the green at best climb. This clearly shows the oil rad system is not at its thermal limit. I am pretty sure that the designers of the P51 would not set it that way, in fact from a pilots perspective this needs some tweeking. You should not need to run an automatic Oil system in manual with a best rate climb and this is just another bone of contention for the P51. JUST TO STOP ALL THE CRAP ABOUT THE P51, FIX IT It PLEASE this is an awesome model and very fun to fly. It's a handful in combat with the Prop Gov and WEP issues(fix that today please) and it will be much loved till the DM comes out. Please Please let this bird fly to 600mph in a dive and simulate compressibility (the pitch becomes unstable as the pressure wave meets the elevator) Many many reports confirming this. Don't Clip this fantastic machine! http://www.spitfireperformance.com/m...s-12sept44.jpg
I was testing P-51 recently and i can say that p-51 can hit Mach.85 it is faster in dive then fw190 d9 at high alt at alt around 30k ft p-51 is much faster, and compressibility is very noticable in that dive. So i am not sure what are you talking about? Recovery procedure is very accurate in DCS
I doubt that any other sim simulate this stuff any better

Last edited by grafspee; 02-03-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #217
Yo-Yo
Staff

Quote:
What behaviour do you want to see, as the thermostatic valve setting directed in the maintanance manual is HIGHER than the red line at the gauge?
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:25 AM   #218
grafspee

Quote:
What i noticed is the p-51 used 2 types of oil so the temp limits differ a little bit

Last edited by grafspee; 02-03-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:19 AM   #219
Helihead(Digger)

Quote:
What behaviour do you want to see, as the thermostatic valve setting directed in the maintenance manual is HIGHER than the red line at the gauge?
Yo Yo thank you for the reply, Please don't take this the wrong way, I love flying the DCS Mustang and this model has given me a great insight into WW2 (my step Father flew 2 tours as Pilot in command Lancaster Bombers 56 missions and flew Spitfires and Tempest V ( was in 2 of the 1000 bomber raids over Europe) and downed 2 BF109s and one V1 doodle bug during the war, including D Day operations in the spit. Im a pilot flying helicopters for a living and don't fly any real warbirds however as a pilot I am sure the Oil should stay in the green ark in a climb at VY. So if you have to watch (manual adjustment) of the oil temp in the climb then its not AUTOMATIC. If the oil temp works in Automatic and if you just climb at best rate by the book it will climb close to the red line. Yes its under the limit, If you then level off it will come back to the green ark However if your flying in combat and you join a fight at the red line then your asking for an engine failure the moment you go vertical. SO I ALWAYS FLY OIL on OPEN until above 10 000 feet, this should not need to be the case as the radiator gets enough air to keep it in the green when open fully. Can you tell me then why have an Automatic system that is set well below the thermal limit for a 46' 2700 170MPH climb? This is not a full power climb, its out of the book where i would expect the system to keep oil temp in the normal range. As a pilot I would ask my crew chief for fix it before I flew it again.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #220
grafspee

I've never had problem with oil temp, no matter what i do it stops at 85C i have much more trouble with keeping coolant temp with in limits, If i set very hot ambient temp something above 30C Taking off at power settings above 50" are impossible, even when i manually open coolant doors, coolant will overheat(I cant imagine taking off with bombs or rockets installed this would lead to big overheat).
For me green arc range on the oil/coolant gages are for cruise power settings not for climb or military power settings.
I went through couple of p-51 manuals i didn't find anything like "keep temps in green no matter the costs" it is only said to not exceed temp limits in climbs or aerobatics, it is said to open coolant doors manually in hot conditions before take off.

Last edited by grafspee; 02-04-2020 at 07:40 AM.