Engine fails to start if I go to far with starting up the plane

CptTangerine

Hi

This is more of a head-scratcher than a genuine problem. I know the best solution - follow the start-up procedure properly - but nevertheless, I'm curious as to why this happens.

If I start up the Harrier and forget to flick the Engine Start switch and just keep on turning things on (MFDs, INS etc.) when I go to start the engine, it won't. I have the APU on, the APU generator, all the fuel flow switches, but flicking the engine start does nothing. At first, I thought that I had used too much voltage from the battery but that doesn't seem to be it as there is often plenty of voltage left when I am trying to start up. I have tried shutting down the things I started up but this still doesn't solve the problem.

Does anyone have a way of recovering from this? Is this something that has been modelled from real life or is it just that the sim can't handle a departure from the prescribed start-up sequence?

I'm really just curious as it would feel more realistic than abandoning the plane and getting a new one.

Cheers!

CptT

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

Interesting. I assume you can do it normally.

I deviate from the procedure, but I just use battery, fuel, DECS, fuel handle. And usually at least 1 mfd on and it starts up fine. (no APU). I think I have managed it with both MFD's and the hud on, maybe radios too.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

what arturojgt said. idle cut off behind the throttle, just behind parking brake release

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Almost certainly as said the throttle has been nudged forwards early, i have the throttle cut off bound for just this situation.

Open the gate, move the throttle all the way back, and the engine should start spooling after a couple of seconds of engine start being on.

Make sure you close the gate again, otherwise when you move to idel you may shut down your engine in flight!

I sometimes get this even if I KNOW I haven't touched the throttle. Part of my pre-start checklist is now verifying the throttle is in the cutoff position

Hi. Some throttles like the TMW have in the cut off position a switch, you need bind that switch to the cut off.

In the toilet and using Tapatalk pro to kill the time.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

I have experienced logic problems in the startup sequence (see my separate thread) of a similar nature. The only procedure that seems to guarantee a successful engine start every time for me with the Warthog throttle in the physical idle detent is to disengage the wheelbrake until the engine has lit off and then re-engage it (in aft position). If I don’t do this, the sim often fails to recognise initial physical throttle movement on first attempt at startup and this appears to be an unrecoverable situation.

I have experienced logic problems in the startup sequence (see my separate thread) of a similar nature. The only procedure that seems to guarantee a successful engine start every time for me with the Warthog throttle in the physical idle detent is to disengage the wheelbrake until the engine has lit off and then re-engage it (in aft position). If I don’t do this, the sim often fails to recognise initial physical throttle movement on first attempt at startup and this appears to be an unrecoverable situation.

I always before startup make that switch work, remove from the cutoff-idle-cutoff or idle-cutoff. This action is intended to allow the pc recognize the cutoff position is on.

Killing time in the bathroom, honey bring me some matches...fewwwwww.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

I sometimes get this even if I KNOW I haven't touched the throttle. Part of my pre-start checklist is now verifying the throttle is in the cutoff position

:thumbup: Same here. I even disengage the Parking Brake, pop off the throttle and make sure that the cut off is in.

Gigabyte Tech. 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, 16 Gig RAM @ 2200 Mhz, Radeon X480, Oculus Rift