Full Motion Simulator

Hypo

Understandable, CLoD was a big disappointment for me as well. Although you have a good point; ATAG has done a great job fixing things.

I have to say though, why bother writing sim motion software when there are other programs available? Simtools is 100% free, even X-Sim is sorta free if you don't mind being connected to the internet at all times when it is in use.

Please do let him know about Simtools and I will see if I can find information about CLoD from the ATAG group to get telemetry for another plugin.

I am not trying to blow my own trumpet, however nothing like SimTools really existed back in 2004 when I started the FCIProject. The FCIProject was my way of learning Java and to control SimKits. I then moved onto much better Flight Illusion instruments.

I was approached by Paul Hughes and he asked me if I could write some software for his original simulator. Paul and I worked really well together and went onto build gSeat-2. Paul is a great hardware engineer and our collaboration culminated in what I believe is, conceptually, one of the best non-commercial flight simulators around.

Because of personal reasons I haven't been able to devote any time writing new control software for gSeat to work with DCS. If I could, I would. The first really powerful programming language I learnt was C. I would've been happy to write the new software in C and Lua, but it just hasn't happened.

If XSimulatutor.net can help Paul I will be delighted. To see a fantastic simulator like gSeat idle is like seeing a Spitfire grounded. They both deserve to be operational and doing what they do best :)

Edited by Hypo

~S~

Hypo

I remember reading about your work on the Ubbi forums back in 2008 or so!

Yes, if he is at all interested please do have him check out XSimulator.net

Although they are offering Simtools free the site is not really about the software, it is really just a place for motion builders to help each other and learn a little. I know I could not have built my own simulator without the great people there. Like this forum, there are so many people who are ready and willing to lend a hand.

The FCIProject and gSeat were fun to work on. It gave me a good grounding in Java and has been the springboard for other projects. I really wish I had pursued a Java/JSP application I called galleryJ. If I had I would have invented http://www.dropbox.com and that is not BS :smilewink:

Sometimes you just don't know when you've invented something that, one day, will be a world beater :doh:

I really hope SimTools is a success. There is definitely a market out there for it. http://simaviatik.com/en did want to license my software, but to license software, across international boarders, and to properly protect myself was nigh on impossible.

I have contacted XSimulator. Hopefully he will reply.

Edited by Hypo

~S~

Hypo

Just to let folks know, we do have a working DCS plug-in for the SimTools (free) motion software. It should be posted soon in the beta software section. To get beta access just PM RaceRay. The public release of SimTools should be very soon though.

I have started work on my 6DoF flight sim platform as well.

The Simtools plug-in has:

Pitch

Roll

Yaw

Heave

Surge

Sway

XSimulator.net

• 2 months later...

All of the axis are adjustable for speed, travel, smoothness, etc. It is just personal preference I guess.

My own platform is 2DoF for auto racing, I am working on a 6DoF platform for flight sims right now. I have constructed and tested a miniature 6DoF platform using R/C servos to test Simtools' capability. So far I am impressed. After the New Year I hope to continue with full size platform.