Which is easier to master the F18 or F16?

joebloggs

Complexity is a tie.

If you want to have the power to decimate a armored column, go with the Viper.

DCS F-18c can’t load CBU-97/105 or 6 mavericks on two pylons.

ED only added x6 maverick capability due to lots of whining from vocal minority community members who believe what they want to believe , and dont care about realism or authenticity, an essence of flight simulation

In actuality the f16,s dont use such a configuration nor would they even if they were needed to repel a mechanized assualt.

But unforntuntaly within dcs it will get such capability.

Otherwise f18 does have anti shipping and longer standoff capability going for it, along with a superior radar, even if it cant wipe out as many tanks in a single pass.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

IMHO the viper is easier to operate. It is not about the development state but simply the design.

It is like difference between Harrier and A-10C that how do you get a TGP/TPOD on target. With harrier it is mainly either a moving TPOD cursor in HUD on wanted position by placing your flight path marker there and lock it in ground, use laser spot marker or then slaving it to waypoint. But with A-10C you can slave it to waypoint, use pointer in HUD to get it there, input coordinates etc.

The similar is with viper and hornet. Like with viper you can move radar cursor up/down the radar screen and get range go up/down. Move cursor to right or left to quickly get 30 degree on right or left side from the 60 degree scan. With hornet you move cursor on the labels and press designate to access small pop-up list of option or press OSB buttons.

Of course that is possible those things comes to viper too, but there are these small things that makes something just more "easier" by making it faster.

Like as well how in viper TGP follows the CCIP so you see easily on screen what you are really targeting. While in Harrier the ARBS follows only the flight path marker instead CCIP or CCRP point.

In viper you can easily see around what you are attacking or defending against. But with hornet you can easily see behind you because mirrors and see effect of bombs or see the enemy position at your rear without turning head.

With hornet you do easy landings as you withstand more forces, while viper has "legs made from glass".

Viper is easier to operate because its UFC, but hornet has nicer datalink possibilities.

Not sure about does viper have same automatic recovery system as hornet does after stall/spin, but that is like flying the heavily computerized system that requires you to release control to computer by literally taking your hands of from HOTAS.

I would say that more problems comes if you try to fly all different aircrafts by switching between them constantly. Instead fly one for like 2 weeks and then swap to other.

The function may not be present yet

But the hornet can slave tgp to a waypoint. You will also be able to create a markpoint via jhmcs and slew tgp onto that point. So relative to a10c f18 is not lacking in that regard, if anything will have an advantage in that area due to jhmcs

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The workflow with the HOTAS on the Viper will be closer to the A10, so if you are comfortable with TMS up etc, you may be more at home with the 16 in the long run. Something to consider.
This. In the long run i think the F16 is more user friendly thanks to a perfectly designed HOTAS. The hornet requires more mfd interaction. Other than that, they are really similar.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

ED only added x6 maverick capability due to lots of whining from vocal minority community members who believe what they want to believe , and dont care about realism or authenticity, an essence of flight simulation

In actuality the f16,s dont use such a configuration nor would they even if they were needed to repel a mechanized assualt.

But unforntuntaly within dcs it will get such capability.

Otherwise f18 does have anti shipping and longer standoff capability going for it, along with a superior radar, even if it cant wipe out as many tanks in a single pass.

aax.jpg

Here we go again.

Exactly my thoughts!

I fly both and for now the F18 is the better choise.

The F16 will be my main toy if more completed because it is closer to what my country is operating (F16-A) and I like it more IRL. Sometimes its that simple :).

Beste regards,

Stefan, HereThen

| I7 8700K 4.7 Ghz | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 | Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q | TrackIR5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR | Steelseries Apex PRO | Steelseries Aerox 3 | Steelseries Arctis WL Pro | MonsterTech table clamps |

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

I’m aware of past discussions about this topic. I’m having some fun :D

Even if 4x mavs + SFW, F-16c in DCS is more effective against armored targets.

What comes to these heated up arguments about 3 Mavericks in single pylon, it will be fixed in the future when new damage modeling comes out.

1) if it is physically and technically possible mount those and then launch them.... So be it, regardless that no "weapons loadouts officer" has not written such allowed loadout.

2) Create the accurate damage modeling based to actual real reports and evidence that what will happen when the inner rocket motor is fired. Base the wearing and possible damages as realistic as possible. Not based to anyone words "....and then burn and fall out of the sky". If there are no reports from testing and the actual damages assessments done that specifically tells what happens at how many launches etc, then it is nothing more than a peace time and extra safety measurement to extend the lifetime of airframe, pilot and operational capabilities.

Make the official F-16C predefined loadouts realistic, and if someone wants to make own dangerous loadout, let them. But, let the damage model to them be active and show its accuracy.

This as well would require that in future the multiplayer mode gets a hardcore mode, where pilots has responsibilities and penalties. If they get shot down, it is serious penalty for next take-off as well available loadouts and aircrafts. If you return with damaged aircraft by stupidity, again possibly grounded for a time. And all that is in multiplayer servers where such penalties denies you to play.

If the F-16C is so easily damaged, destroyed and mishandled, the damage system should be the limiting factor, not artificial rule. Why the ED allowance for 6 Mavericks is good, but requires as well their damage system to be up to level once it gets implemented and either support or unsupport such a unofficial loadout.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

When its finished I think the f16 will appear more intuitive in its menus and general mfd usage. Just nice touches like it automatically changing radar range as you scroll up or down. But maybe years of the other sim have just colored my view as one im used to and the F18 Im not. I think they are both going to be great. Both have a long way to go but F18 is getting there. F 16 early early days :)

Complexity is a tie.

If you want to have the power to decimate a armored column, go with the Viper.

DCS F-18c can’t load CBU-97/105 or 6 mavericks on two pylons.

I'd fly an A-10C for that, thank you sir.

You could also say that with the Viper you don't have air to air staying power, since the Hornet can have 10 x Fox3 + 2 x Fox 2 while the Viper can only fly with 6 AAM of any kind.

Will any hornet ever fly in combat with 10 amraam? Don't think so.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd fly an A-10C for that, thank you sir.

You could also say that with the Viper you don't have air to air staying power, since the Hornet can have 10 x Fox3 + 2 x Fox 2 while the Viper can only fly with 6 AAM of any kind.

Will any hornet ever fly in combat with 10 amraam? Don't think so.

The choice is up to virtual pilots to decide whether X12 AAAM is worth the performance penalties or not.

I tried it and seems impractical because the Hornet handles like a draggy brick with such loadout. Not something you want if you are put into a merge. Only good if you want to act as a pure BVR spamrammer, but even then the F15 the better choice for such a role as it doesn't get as much drag with its max loadout even if still inferior in quantity.

That being said in Strike fighter configuration the Viper has superior A2A staying power because you can still carry 6 AAM's even with bombs and TGP hanging off it.

In the Hornet you looking at only 4 AAM's, ( only 3 AAM When ATFLIR config becomes a thing)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

The choice is up to virtual pilots to decide whether X12 AAAM is worth the performance penalties or not.

I tried it and seems impractical because the Hornet handles like a draggy brick with such loadout. Not something you want if you are put into a merge. Only good if you want to act as a pure BVR spamrammer, but even then the F15 the better choice for such a role as it doesn't get as much drag with its max loadout even if still inferior in quantity.

That being said in Strike fighter configuration the Viper has superior A2A staying power because you can still carry 6 AAM's even with bombs and TGP hanging off it.

In the Hornet you looking at only 4 AAM's, ( only 3 AAM When ATFLIR config becomes a thing)

Dual rail amraam has almost no drag. And in case you are worried about that, you can always drop the dual rails after firing the external missiles for the merge.

With 6 AAM and bombs you are forfeiting fuel in the viper. The Hornet can then bring 8 AAM + TPOD + bombs doing that. Or 7 AAM + ATFLIR + Fuel + Bombs.

Of course we are talking about minmaxing. I usually fly with two bags in the Hornet because I like to fly with realistic loadouts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think when in a complete state the F-16 will be easier to master. Not sure about the systems, should be similar, but if you really want to "master" the aircraft, as the title says, in the F-18 you have additional carrier ops, F-16 is only land based, which makes it easier to master.

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Dual rail amraam has almost no drag. And in case you are worried about that, you can always drop the dual rails after firing the external missiles for the merge.

With 6 AAM and bombs you are forfeiting fuel in the viper. The Hornet can then bring 8 AAM + TPOD + bombs doing that. Or 7 AAM + ATFLIR + Fuel + Bombs.

Of course we are talking about minmaxing. I usually fly with two bags in the Hornet because I like to fly with realistic loadouts.

Respectfully that BS, I find myself having to use much higher throttle settings to fly at the speed I want in the hornet with dual aam racks than without. I dont like to be slow.

The hornet is great when you have minimal external stores or of you flight it outright clean, but the viper is just much more tolerant of drag from external stores.

8 aam with bombs, tgp? Sure if you sacrifice even more bomb or fuel carry for the missiles.

If you take 8 aam and 2 bags of gas, and a tgp, you've got no room for bombs lol. If you take asymmetric loadout with single bag that only leaves you 1 to 2 bombs depending on the munition type. That is just pitifully bad which is why for a strike fighter loadout it's not practical to take more than 4 aam,s.

Even if you look at actual hard stats the f16 can carry more munitions in terms of lbs than the hornet. F16 can carry up to 17,000 lbs worth of ordinance whereas the hornet can carry only carry 13,700 lbs. Only the super hornet can outdo what the viper can carry with 17,750 lbs of ordinance and it's a much larger fighter, that's even draggier than the legacy hornet.

This is exactly why the navy wanted the super hornet., the needed a hornet with more ordinance carry and more gas ( but I digress)

The tgp arrangement in the viper is also better, a unique hardpoint. In the hornet you either have to sacrifice a bag of fuel on the fuselage , or a pair of bombs ( l2) or an a missile on cheek station ( atflir) to carry one.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

I think when in a complete state the F-16 will be easier to master. Not sure about the systems, should be similar, but if you really want to "master" the aircraft, as the title says, in the F-18 you have additional carrier ops, F-16 is only land based, which makes it easier to master.

Yea I would say get both, but if you only want 1 of the two it should be a matter of whether you are interested in carrier ops or not.( at least as short form answer) to whether you buy the viper or the hornet.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

• ED Team

I found it difficult to transition to the viper from the hornet, but now find it easier to fly and operate.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2