F86 AI Damage Model

Boomer20

Just read up on B2 and B4 power coefficients. These are for "Drag Polar" coefficients describing induced drag at different angles of attack and power levels (thrust). I will tweak these as well to see if I can make the low speed, high AOA performance decrease a bit.

In my tweaks so far I have noticed the MiG-15 will not climb as steeply and keep a higher speed even without any drag polar changes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

A couple tests with the B2 numbers doubled (more drag) at lower speeds closer to Mach 0.0 (high aoa). Here is my MiG-15bis.lua SFM section (top)

Notice the B2 numbers, = increased

0mamax = decreased (roll rate)

and Cymax = decreased (max lift coeff)... below mach 0.3

{-- M Cx0* Cya* B2 B4 Omxmax Aldop* Cymax*

{ 0.0, 0.018 ,0.037 ,0.148 ,0.01 ,0.180 , 14.0 , 0.005},

{ 0.1, 0.018 ,0.047 ,0.124 ,0.01 ,0.360 , 14.0 , 0.010}

{ 0.2, 0.0172 ,0.057 ,0.100 ,0.01 ,0.730 , 15.0 , 0.020},

{ 0.3, 0.0165 ,0.0670 ,0.074 ,0.01 ,1.087 , 15.0 , 0.043},

{ 0.4, 0.016 ,0.0700 ,0.074 ,0.01 ,1.489 , 17.3 , 0.067},

This resulted in higher speed looping behavior so the range radius from the Sabre to the MiG increased from near stall and close, to a good bit over 200 knots and further away. I tested a couple times against average and excellent pilot AI. I found longer range hits and quicker kills on a couple. The energy supply was still a factor but it seemed to want to fly a little faster in the envelope which plays into the Sabres strengths a little. Rocket like stall fights were still there but the higher speeds seamed easier to handle. And in low speed scissors and overtakes, not one MiG got a shot off no matter how crazy wounded duck style I was flopping around dealing with the control modeling and live input realism. I think the AI skids and slips too because I find I have to do that a lot near stall and when I am very close in the saddle.

I could be wrong about the Polar exponents but my description above was the most common for flight and not moments of inertia for beams and girders. "Polar" comes from the polar graph plot with degrees aoa, +/- around 0 (a pole) and change in lift or drag coefficient. They can change based on power settings for the aircraft as well, hence 2 columns B2 and B4.

Edited by Squiffy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

MiG-15 Aero edits

OK I looked into this some more and realized I goofed on the polar numbers as well as some other coefficients. Less drag, more lift and so on. The polars are still unclear to me since the full plots are usually referred to as polars. The C equation at the beginning of the aero section shows the polars as well and it would be helpful for one of the DCS coders to jump in if they could, So I will leave this here and do more in another thread on the MiG-15 if there is interest. It was tough to see more changes after starting into this and I wondered if I was making it harder for the Sabre, especially since I goofed up the lift and drag tendencies...smaller coefficient is good for drag bad for lift, for example. I think it helped but it is really complex and the symbology needs to be pinned down. So you can make these changes and the sim will still run. Limiting max g may be the best fix to start with. See the pic for my latest SFM.

1688971225_MiG-15aero.thumb.png.6661845ae8c0036db4942312db0adf8d.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]