How do I use autopilot?

uist1

For those, who has a joystick maybe yes, but for us who are with keyboard? How to make autopilot modes to work? It only ALTH and HALT works for me.

A joystick (with a throttle and rudder twist) costs 40 bucks

A semi HOTAS Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X about 60 bucks

Even if you're on a notebook what's the problem?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

The problem is, that i just dont want to play with joystick. Every commands should be ablle with mouse and keyboard too.

Planes don't fly with keyboards, they're flown with joysticks.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Are you in a plane when you playing DCS? Or just at home with your PC?

With joysticks ..

This might have been asked already, but will we be getting an AP mode that auto follows the waypoints and makes the turns for you?

The autopilot mode should have a couple function that permits auto route navigation via inputted way points. Also a couple mode to follow the Tacan course selected by the pilot. Since the way points can be edited via the UFC and selected as target way points on the DDI, these functions ease pilot workload. The Hornet, being a Navy aircraft follows the Navy idiom of ease of use. If your single seat and undertaking a low level complex strike, the auto pilot function on CPL mode is very desirable.

Hopefully ED will continue to add all the features of the Hornet. There are some more GPS data features to add, however it's not the "e", so an accurate c block 20 is probably their goal.

Lovely handling aircraft though!

Edited by Accipiter
Typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Attention! BALT and RALT modes won't engage unless you have absolute zero input on the stick.

Easily sorted by putting a 1% deadzone on your stick (as many joysticks will not be at the exact centre when centred, not even the TM Warthog).

:doh:

Nope that dead zone trick did not work. Now what?

I can't get auto pilot modes to display the colon and nothing I do will work. I can activate ATC but nothing else works. I have to be doing something wrong but I have looked through the manual and can't find anything. I also added a deadzone as was mentioned but it didn't help. Also, it seems to work fine unless I start cold and dark. Any help appreciated.

Same here.... you’re not using Capt Zeen’s Helios profile by any chance are you? I am, and it had some other quirky behaviors that I had to sort out. Wondering if this is another one....

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

• 3 weeks later...

When trying to use a combination of ATC and BALT, to maintain a holding pattern, BALT tends to drop out when you move the joystick to action a turn. I must be doing something wrong as BALT appears to stay activated when Wags uses it for the same purpose in his latest, Case III landing, video.

When trying to use a combination of ATC and BALT, to maintain a holding pattern, BALT tends to drop out when you move the joystick to action a turn. I must be doing something wrong as BALT appears to stay activated when Wags uses it for the same purpose in his latest, Case III landing, video.

Here too, like Wags, no problem.

Perhaps check if additional axis are defined/bound for stick movement (on your rudder or other USB)

Does the ":" remain, against BALT mode, when you turn or does that disappear?

For me, the AP appears to resist the turn and then drops out, removing the ":", when I carry on pushing the stick to the left.

I'll give it another go, to make sure I'm not missing something. Maybe my stick needs more dead zone as it might be commanding some pitch as well as roll when I try to turn.

Edit: yep, as I suspected. When I was moving the stick to get some left roll, I was also accidentally applying some pitch and the altitude hold AP disengages, as per the natops, when you move the stick up or down. I've added a bit more of a dead zone to the pitch axis and that seems to help

Edited by Greyman

• 2 months later...

Is anyone having the issue with when you disengage the BALT in the A/P and you then try to gentle climb for more altitude, there seems to be resistance like the BALT is still engaged? I continue to apply more back stick pressure and then it suddenly jerks out and I fly up violently for a quick second.

How can you leave BALT smoothly?

Is anyone having the issue with when you disengage the BALT in the A/P and you then try to gentle climb for more altitude, there seems to be resistance like the BALT is still engaged? I continue to apply more back stick pressure and then it suddenly jerks out and I fly up violently for a quick second.

How can you leave BALT smoothly?

Press the AP Disengage button/paddle (the same button you hold to pull extra Gs).

Press the AP Disengage button/paddle (the same button you hold to pull extra Gs).

Indeed, first 'disable/disengage AP mode' key "S" then change flight path.