Carrier Ops at night... not yet

oldcrusty

I was ready to post this under "Wish List" but all my wishes are there already.

For now, one thing would make a big difference in my opinion. The lights on the carrier, every single one of them should be left permanently ON. (until we get flood lights)

To find and get lined up with any of the cats you need to use your landing light. There's nobody on deck to be blinded. That's fine but interacting with "aerodrome" controllers:huh: and fumbling with comm menus while wearing VR set, just to get the lights on... pain in the butt.

Also, I need to check if anyone reported this in Bugs forum: The brightness control on MPCD effects certain symbols like TACAN/course line, the "box" around selected bezel button functions but not the compass rose and other symbols.

Here's is my attempt at night ops:noexpression: The seas were rough, wind was tossing me around like a kite, my AI "interval" was getting in my way so I kept the radar on (he decided to use case I pattern) Notice the vapor coming off my folded wings at the end of this short clip.

https://youtu.be/sncW5hv3CqQ

Fumbling around to find your mouse?

Not the mouse, the keyboard. Some keys are easier to find then others. I have absolutely no issues using my mouse. I see the pointer in front of me and it's not that hard to get used to using it. I don't want to program any switches on my Warthog for silly functions like comms with "aerodrome" (I love that name!) The 4-way hat switch on the right side of my throttles is used for voice comms (com1 & com2 on TS) Hopefully the other 2 positions on that hat will be assigned to data link in the future.:) Anyways, VR is catching on and I'm sure that in fairly short time I'll be using my hands to access anything around me.

Hi Gripes. The radio menus are clickable with the mouse. Press your comm switch on your HOTAS to bring up the menu then you're good to go. :thumbup:

I tried. I can bring up the menus but could not click on them for some reason. I'll look into it, thanks.

For now, one thing would make a big difference in my opinion. The lights on the carrier, every single one of them should be left permanently ON. (until we get flood lights)

Agree! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Has anyone tried to add the static objects floodlight onto the carrier in ME? Might be a worth try ;)

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

cant find it (static obj floodlight) - where?

let me check tonight after the WC match. I installed a few in Batumi ;)

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

ED Batumi Lightpost object. you can link it to the carrier. It does not show up unfortunately.

After flying night carrier approaches this weekend I think once we get the ICLS we won't really need the lights so much,

I'm going to post here since the "Orange flood lights..." thread got closed (I think OP posted something that dorked it up, hehe).

It seems like all this lighting issue got a bit confusing. I see 2 simple separate and minor fixes that would make night carrier ops (currently) easier... for me:)

1) To move around the deck - flood lights... well, we can get by using the landing light for now.

2) Leave the "drop lights" and landing area lights on permanently for those who don't like fumbling through menus when flying.

Not a big deal.

ED Batumi Lightpost object. you can link it to the carrier. It does not show up unfortunately.

only aircraft link to the carrier.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

only aircraft link to the carrier.

Actually you can select offlink it and link unit in ME, but it won't show

I tried. I can bring up the menus but could not click on them for some reason. I'll look into it, thanks.

Look for a mouse pointer, not the '+'

My mouse pointer for radio comms is not co-located with the '+' cursor, its usually down and left of it by a bit on my screen. It is also only visible over the comm menu

Look for a mouse pointer, not the '+'

My mouse pointer for radio comms is not co-located with the '+' cursor, its usually down and left of it by a bit on my screen. It is also only visible over the comm menu

Will try it tonight, thanks.