Bring 90FPS VR back

orbelosul

I see in the old posts that people actually played this game in VR with 90fps. I feel that is unacceptable that it's been months since anyone (with any hardware) has played this game in 90fps (constantly, not just when viewing clear sky).

It is discouraging to see how many people now just accept that this game will only run @45fps. I almost always feel the difference between 90 and 45fps in eye strain. My eyes feel tired after even 30-60minutes of playing @45fps while I can play for hours @90fps with almost no discomfort. Is it just me? I did hear that WMR reprojections are the worse of the 3 (rift, vive, wmr) but is it just that or is everyone feeling this?

I think we have to demand devs rework the graphics faster or just revert the stupid "graphical improvements" that made the game run soooo bad!

I will not buy any other module for the game until they do this. I hope we can unite in an effort to force them to take action regarding this issue.

I see in the old posts that people actually played this game in VR with 90fps. I feel that is unacceptable that it's been months since anyone (with any hardware) has played this game in 90fps (constantly, not just when viewing clear sky).

It is discouraging to see how many people now just accept that this game will only run @45fps. I almost always feel the difference between 90 and 45fps in eye strain. My eyes feel tired after even 30-60minutes of playing @45fps while I can play for hours @90fps with almost no discomfort. Is it just me? I did hear that WMR reprojections are the worse of the 3 (rift, vive, wmr) but is it just that or is everyone feeling this?

I think we have to demand devs rework the graphics faster or just revert the stupid "graphical improvements" that made the game run soooo bad!

I will not buy any other module for the game until they do this. I hope we can unite in an effort to force them to take action regarding this issue.

Yes VR improvements are coming, you can, well I can get 90FPS occasionally now out side of built up areas in NTTR, DCS is looking good. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I don't worry about chasing the FPS counter dragon. It could be 45 FPS, it could be 90 FPS. As long as its smooth and I don't get double vision when I look to the sides, its working. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I used to play pre update DCS. Honestly as someone who doesn't use, and never used to use fps counters, I don't really see that much of a difference.

We used to be able to have MSSA on 4 and PD on 1.5, but I think these days, although you should go lower settings wise, as the game itself looks much better, you don't really need to go that high anymore to get it looking much better, than it used to.

1.2/3 PD and 2x MSSA and I am happy. I don't even mind turning MSSA off but dont do so because its not really necessary to go that low!

Also with the advent of motion smoothing for the VIVE I have to say that performance for me has never been better, and I am very excited to think that there is more to come.

In VR DCS used to be so washed out and lacking in any color! For me I make sure that I understand my modules/systems and then fly with low gamma and mostly at dawn or sunset. In which case aside from SDE, it looks almost real, and couldn't really be any smoother. I rememer it always used to studder if you turned your head to the side, but now its pretty damned good. Way happier than I was a year or two ago, no question about it.

The only module I have with problems (apart from fps drops when an AC is damaged/crashes for the first time) is the spitfire, because of propeller artifacts, but I still fly, and love it, as its never been smoother and in dogfighting that is the main thing.

Honestly as a Vive user, I don't really remember it being all that smooth before the update either. Certainly not if you played a mission with plenty of things going on or got into a dogfight with 15 other planes. Before flying proper missions also always make sure to fly and fight around a bit first, this will get the DCS damage model stutters out of its system.

Turn off the FPS counters!

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Amen to that, I hope its true that they are focusing on improving performance. I never played dcs vr @90 fps, at least not steady and with a decent look, except for very sparse areas and external cameras (e.g., pointing up to the sky). However, I had a 1070 before the updates, and now a 1080 ti. I hope it gets significantly better one day, but I doubt.

I have two 2080 TI and with mostly max settings and a DP of 2.0. I can sit at 45 FPS for most of the time with AWS off. I have to lower settings to get it to go above 45 FPS so AWS kicks in but I don't think it looks as good with lower settings so I fly at 45 FPS. I like pretty over FPS as long as its smooth.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I have two 2080 TI and with mostly max settings and a DP of 2.0. I can sit at 45 FPS for most of the time with AWS off. I have to lower settings to get it to go above 45 FPS so AWS kicks in but I don't think it looks as good with lower settings so I fly at 45 FPS. I like pretty over FPS as long as its smooth.

X2 here, ditto on all counts, I have almost identical system specs.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I never understand how to turn off AWS.

Sent from my Tornado IDS while on autopilot using Tapatalk Pro.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

If you own a Rift, you need to install Oculus Tray Tool.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I remember getting 90 fps on the NTTR map. It wasn't possible over Las Vegas for obvious reasons, but 45 fps was duable pretty much everywhere back then. It is difficult to explain, but the immersion and feeling of flight is much superior at 90 fps compared to 45 fps. :hehe:

Yes I use Oculus tray tools, I have to lower setting to medium to get AWS off to kick in and I can average around 70 FPS with a 2080 TI but I think the view looks bad. With high settings, it locks in at 45 FPS even with AWS off unless I look up over the ocean or sky and it shoot straight to 90FPS.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

You stable 45 guys make me lol... I'm happy with 30... I can get 45 with a bunch of things turned down, but anything in the 30's is still pretty smooth for me. I get 90 on the main boot screen tho. :)

And yes ED, please improve the frame rates.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Two GPU's ain't going to do a thing for you that one can't in DCS VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I don't know why people think deferred shading in VR looks great. It is blindingly bright, so they put in a gamma slider to band-aid it. So you can turn it down to make it manageable, but then other areas are too dark. And, forced deferred shading sucked 30 frames away from the FPS count.

It might be great in 2D, but not so in VR.

I remember getting 90 fps on the NTTR map. It wasn't possible over Las Vegas for obvious reasons, but 45 fps was duable pretty much everywhere back then. It is difficult to explain, but the immersion and feeling of flight is much superior at 90 fps compared to 45 fps. :hehe:

With careful tweaking you could also get 90FPS in Nevada. :music_whistling:

The image refresh rate is 22.22' ms @ 45 FPS and 11.11' ms @ 90 FPS. 90FPS this makes looking around smoother and helps with immersion. With changes to the rendering within DCS invoke higher processing overhead and means that even high end CPU/GPU can not always complete rendering frames even at the fall back rate of 45FPS depending on scene complexity and some other factors.

Sure I think we have all become accustomed to at least a smooth 45FPS presentation in game with VR and yes the image quality is IMO much better now although colour rendition may be a tad off, look at the strange metallic green of those ground radars in Caucasus. :smilewink:

To that end DCS World needs some optimisation however I also think that the maps may need some work and to my mind layer management simple shadows appear on some buildings not others it depends what direction you approach sometimes even on terrain the shadows consist of different layers/masks etc, it's just not consistent.

The important aspect here is that DCS World is constantly evolving as new features and modules are added and keeping older features and modules updated and at the same time introducing new technologies is a mammoth task. Also this continuous process involves 3rd party developers.

Keep in mind DCS World is free! Contrast that to say XYZ Software and every time they fixed their code and added features we pay for it in the way of upgrades. This is one of the reasons I have bought aircraft that really I will only toy with and I have never had to pay for and upgrade to any of my aircraft in nearly 3 years. We have come to expect a lot for no real cost and I wonder how sustainable that is longterm.

Just my musings.

YMMV :thumbup:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

At the launch of 2.5 it was possible to fly at 90 FPS with trees at maximum etc. All looked fairly great, what now trees were oversize (and still are, as a full grown tree is larger than a F-15C, you are literally searching a toy plane among huge trees). But since then everything has gone just down. Trees are now popping out, even when everything maxed out. And dropping effects etc doesn't guarantee 45 FPS even.

And then annoying jittery with Nvidia drivers other than 188.31 that makes everything drawn twice, from the lobby to the game itself. It is just annoying how with single screen (other eye closed) you can see huge trailing of the second frame whenever the head moves around. Everything runs perfectly at 45 or 90 FPS, as long you do not move head! Any head movement and everything is jittery. So only solution to minimize that (not totally eliminate) was to go back 188.31 driver.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I don't know why people think deferred shading in VR looks great. It is blindingly bright, so they put in a gamma slider to band-aid it. So you can turn it down to make it manageable, but then other areas are too dark. And, forced deferred shading sucked 30 frames away from the FPS count.

It might be great in 2D, but not so in VR.

I think they did it offload CPU work onto the GPU.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

90fps? That went a long time ago. Around when deferred shading came in.

Even if I set PD and SteamVR SS to minimum and DCS settings to preset 'low', I still only see a solid 45fps in low altitude flying! In fact, unless I set PD and/or SteamVR SS at very high levels I always get 45fps.

Having said that, 45fps looks fine to me and is very smooth with Motion Smoothing turned on. Even when it drops to 30fps under stress conditions, still looks pretty smooth.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The fact that fans can implement patches like this one https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373 makes me think it IS possible but ED just don't have enough employees or focus on the wrong things instead of optimizing the game.

Seeing that none of you is disappointed in running the game in 45FPS instead of 90 make me think that maybe they are right... maybe people just want more planes and not better performance and 90FPS in VR.

90fps? That went a long time ago. Around when deferred shading came in.

Even if I set PD and SteamVR SS to minimum and DCS settings to preset 'low', I still only see a solid 45fps in low altitude flying! In fact, unless I set PD and/or SteamVR SS at very high levels I always get 45fps.

Having said that, 45fps looks fine to me and is very smooth with Motion Smoothing turned on. Even when it drops to 30fps under stress conditions, still looks pretty smooth.

Actually I can now crack 90FPS in NTTR now so it is doable admittedly away from built up areas and at 50 ish mtrs. :)

But I am at the limits of the GPU now. :smilewink:

The fact that fans can implement patches like this one https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373 makes me think it IS possible but ED just don't have enough employees or focus on the wrong things instead of optimizing the game.

Seeing that none of you is disappointed in running the game in 45FPS instead of 90 make me think that maybe they are right... maybe people just want more planes and not better performance and 90FPS in VR.

That mod has very little effect on fps on high end systems, and generally just gives a bit more headroom. It also degrades the graphical quality in a lot of ways.

I can see why some people would use it, but it’s not the answer.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have no issue running 45fps. It's smooth and fine for vr.

The problem running 45 is that if the mission adds a couple of units the fps drops to ~32 and under 45 fps AWS or motion smooth or whatever technology is disabled and you will start to be sick.

I'm sick of reading, so many excuses why we don't have better performance. Why do other flight simulators have much better performance than DCS?

IL2, Aerofly FS2, even Prep 3d has solid 90 why not DCS is it because this game is too REAL and reality sucks?

Made your jobs and I will put my money in otherwise ...

milkojohns, For your information, I have a freaking monster machine and DCS is one of the fewer games that sucks on performance. I show my love for the developers putting money on it.