Warthog throttle

Void78

Hi all,

Long time listener (since the days of Lock on), first time caller;)

Recently I have decided to kit myself properly for playing the DCS.

It took me a few months to get myself Thrustmaster Hotas, pedals and trackir. Where I'm from it is impossible to find all of those. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy.I have noticed that left throttle (when throttles are linked) is giving me slightly less RPM.I was searching to see does anybody else have that issue.It is not a big thing at all, I can easily compensate either by unlinking or by slight rudder input.

No problems at full afterburner. Not aligned well at linked position I guess.

While I was searching to see does anybody else have that problem (not a problem really) I came across nightmare stories about people bricking their throttle by burning throttles motherboard.

Something about warthog having issues with USB 3 port.I use powered USB hub for all of my DCs peripherals and my PC is new.I have no USB 2 ports at all.When I'm starting my PC the lights on throttle first light up, then shut down, then, when OS (win 10) is loaded, they light up again.

Process last about 5-10 seconds.

My worry is that warthog throttle might burn up or something. My question to you guys is are my concerns justified?

I have my Hawg on USB 2. Also, I do notice when flying the Turkey, my left engine at times has a slightly lower RPM. 1 or 2% behind the right engine. I do have both throttles "linked". Not sure why it does this.

I've had the Hawg for about 4 years, and the throttle has been a solid performer.

Edited by javelina1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I had to calibrate mine. It was off from the factory and I used it like that for 3 years until this post came up. Bear in mind that the calibration tool seems to favour A-10 conventions and one must read between the lines. Certainly jets want some traits and warbirds want others with regard to afterburners and engine idle and such, I would recommend reading this ALL of this post. It can be a bear and took me more than one try. It is scary stuff but my throttle is bang on now.

Do it wrong and you could run into a very strange situation. <<Your results may vary and do so at your own risk. Read and then read some more.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=65901&highlight=Thrustmaster+calibrate

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

Thanks for the replies guys. I kind of like it this way because it forces me to use throttles properly; independent from one another. Though that wasn't my main question. I guess I wasn't clear enough (sry about that) The main question is about possible dangers of using USB 3 ports and powered USB hub.

Thanks for the replies guys. I kind of like it this way because it forces me to use throttles properly; independent from one another. Though that wasn't my main question. I guess I wasn't clear enough (sry about that) The main question is about possible dangers of using USB 3 ports and powered USB hub.

I'm on USB 3, been a computer tech pretty much all my life and I cannot imagine how it would make any difference or cause any kind of problem.

The USB is a 'standard' agreed upon by the industry, basically if the plug fits there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it wrong.

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

I have my Hawg on USB 2. Also, I do notice when flying the Turkey, my left engine at times has a slightly lower RPM. 1 or 2% behind the right engine. I do have both throttles "linked". Not sure why it does this.

I've had the Hawg for about 4 years, and the throttle has been a solid performer.

Let me clear things up on my post. In no way do I think the USB 2 vs 3 has anything to do with the 1 or 2 % difference I have between the left/right throttle thingy.

I'm sure it's probably more due to usage. Regardless, I love my Hawg throttle, and do not have any plans to tweak or recalibrate. She's been solid.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I'm on USB 3, been a computer tech pretty much all my life and I cannot imagine how it would make any difference or cause any kind of problem.

The USB is a 'standard' agreed upon by the industry, basically if the plug fits there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it wrong.

Good to know.I was worried because of this post: From the topic "Thrustmaster durability": The throttle electronics are sensitive and will brick itself unless you baby it - according to TM you must plug it directly to an USB2 port on the motherboard - not USB3 - and unplug it every time before you shut down your computer - then plug back in once your computer has started the next time you want to use it. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- More on the topic:

Let me clear things up on my post. In no way do I think the USB 2 vs 3 has anything to do with the 1 or 2 % difference I have between the left/right throttle thingy.

I'm sure it's probably more due to usage. Regardless, I love my Hawg throttle, and do not have any plans to tweak or recalibrate. She's been solid.

No need to clear anything up.

You were perfectly understood:thumbup:

No need to clear anything up.

You were perfectly understood:thumbup:

No worries M8! Fly away! by the way, what modules are you flying? Regardless, give 'er h*ll!!! ;)

Good to know.I was worried because of this post: From the topic "Thrustmaster durability": The throttle electronics are sensitive and will brick itself unless you baby it - according to TM you must plug it directly to an USB2 port on the motherboard - not USB3 - and unplug it every time before you shut down your computer - then plug back in once your computer has started the next time you want to use it. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- More on the topic:

I checked it out, by doing a very quick google search on this topic all I see are rumors over reddit posts and absolutely nothing from Thrustmaster themselves or any other source for that matter.

I cannot possibly believe this is true, imagine if USB devices could die at any moment!

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

Currently I'm flying A-10, F-18, Mirage 2000, and MIG 21.

I have neglected Harrier (will pick it up again when it's a bit more complete), Ka-50 (Cockpit is just too bright now for my taste), and Viggen.

Haven't played FC3 planes in ages.

Can't wait for F-14 and MIG 23.It will be glorious.:pilotfly:

If only someone would take on making MIG 25... ah one can only dream

I checked it out, by doing a very quick google search on this topic all I see are rumors over reddit posts and absolutely nothing from Thrustmaster themselves or any other source for that matter.

I cannot possibly believe this is true, imagine if USB devices could die at any moment!

I agree completely. Was suspicious myself, but no harm in checking with you guys. Thank you very much.