How to create a local server (inside you own LAN)?

cortex

Hi,

I imagine this questions has been asked before... but I have really tried to search the forum (and on a lot of other places) without any luck finding it.

How can I set up a DCS server on my machine so that I can use a second machine on my home LAN to connect as a client. I want to be able to play "in-house" with my son. So my machine will act as the server and his machine as the client.

The problem I can't get around is that my machine defaults the IP to the outside-address of my router.

I would very much like to set it to the IP of my own computer (which uses a permanently set RFC1918-address) and then let my son connect to that IP from his machine, who also is on a permanently set RFC1928-address in the same /24.

I can't find any way of changing the server-IP when starting up a new server.

Help!! Please... :)

Hi,

I imagine this questions has been asked before... but I have really tried to search the forum (and on a lot of other places) without any luck finding it.

How can I set up a DCS server on my machine so that I can use a second machine on my home LAN to connect as a client. I want to be able to play "in-house" with my son. So my machine will act as the server and his machine as the client.

The problem I can't get around is that my machine defaults the IP to the outside-address of my router.

I would very much like to set it to the IP of my own computer (which uses a permanently set RFC1918-address) and then let my son connect to that IP from his machine, who also is on a permanently set RFC1928-address in the same /24.

I can't find any way of changing the server-IP when starting up a new server.

Help!! Please... :)

Don't care about the Public IP, you can start to HOST a new server for LAN players without care about it.

On all other machines ( clients ) inside your LAN click on Connect by IP in the top right and put the local IP address of the server that is hosting the mission.

If you receive the "server offline" message check your firewall settings, make sure to open UDP and TCP port that you define when you start a server ( default one is 10308 )

Add a rules exception rules for port and don't use "allow application" in your firewall configuration.

( your server doesn't appear in the server list in this way )

If you prefer to see your host in the server list, enable IPv6 on both host (server) and client machines, need the firewall exception as well ;)

Note: make sure you're using the same exact build version on all machines

Edited by Maverick87Shaka

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Strange. I do exactly what you are hoping to do, and mine shows up right away in the server list on clients (much faster than the rest, it shows up by itself immediately then the rest populate a few seconds later). When you select it, it actually displays the MAC address of the server, rather than the public or even local IP. Ping is stupid low, like 8. Mine does it automatically, but maybe if you try entering the MAC address into the connect by IP field?

*edit* it’s not a MAC address I’m seeing, maybe IPv6?

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Strange. I do exactly what you are hoping to do, and mine shows up right away in the server list on clients (much faster than the rest, it shows up by itself immediately then the rest populate a few seconds later). When you select it, it actually displays the MAC address of the server, rather than the public or even local IP. Ping is stupid low, like 8. Mine does it automatically, but maybe if you try entering the MAC address into the connect by IP field?

*edit* it’s not a MAC address I’m seeing, maybe IPv6?

YES, just like I said what you're seeing is the IPv6, and your local host server is populated in the server list thanks to IPv6.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you sooo much for this! Now it works. I've been down with the flue for quite some days... so that is why it took me so long to try it out.

Don't care about the Public IP, you can start to HOST a new server for LAN players without care about it.

On all other machines ( clients ) inside your LAN click on Connect by IP in the top right and put the local IP address of the server that is hosting the mission.

If you receive the "server offline" message check your firewall settings, make sure to open UDP and TCP port that you define when you start a server ( default one is 10308 )

Add a rules exception rules for port and don't use "allow application" in your firewall configuration.

( your server doesn't appear in the server list in this way )

If you prefer to see your host in the server list, enable IPv6 on both host (server) and client machines, need the firewall exception as well ;)

Note: make sure you're using the same exact build version on all machines