Vive Foveated Rendering in Q2 2019?

hansangb

Vive Foveated Rendering in Q2 2019?

It`s critical mass. VR is new tech, and as adoption grows so will the tech and the software around it. Slower than we`d like, but I`ll take what we have over a monitor any day.

i agree, but even after more than 2 years of VR, it has not even been adopted by 1% of game users.

and some companies have canceled VR projects because of the lack of potential revenue.

i like my VR experience, but i’m not nearly as hopeful as what i read here.

i agree, but even after more than 2 years of VR, it has not even been adopted by 1% of game users.

and some companies have canceled VR projects because of the lack of potential revenue.

I note the Rift has dropped in price again . Good for me as I'm soon to order , but maybe another indication VR market is not growing as we wish ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

There is a much larger footprint of folks offering VR headsets now than just a year or two ago.

I would say that is a positive sign for VR.

Also seeing VR now in a lot more advertising and shows.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It`s critical mass. VR is new tech, and as adoption grows so will the tech and the software around it. Slower than we`d like, but I`ll take what we have over a monitor any day.

Well, ED has always said they won't support vendor specific optimizations. And NVidia owns what, 85% of the gaming market? Whatever the number is the vast majority. So I do agree that if FR is done on a per vendor basis, we may get to enjoy it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

VR isn't going anywhere.

Statistics can be as distorting a they can be clarifying. For example how many STEAM users could actually run VR???

Arguably anyone with a 1060+ but i think in reality we could say a 1080 & 1080+ users are a small chunk of the cake. We could could say maybe 5% potential. PCVR having a 0.8% share isn't so terrible.

There is potential huge market for VR, its a problem that VR is only available to a small % of gamers due to HW limitations but hopefully anything that helps with GPU load will increase availability.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

I'm sceptical of significant performance gains from foveated rendering. Even though it might lighten the rendering load, the reason for of poor performance in VR (in DX11 at least) is having to 'create' the scene twice rather than render the pixels. I don't see how foveated rendering will do anything to alleviate that.

Might be that DX12 and Vulcan benefit more, but that's not much use for DCS.

Not just that, but you're rendering it at higher than native resolution, and having to scale it back down for the goggles. Interesting thing about the Pimax is that (supposedly) it doesn't require any more horsepower than an Oculus, because it doesn't need supersampling.

In support of the OP, having lived with and without MSAA, I vastly prefer to have it in my central vision. If I were playing say a FPS, eye tracking would be the bomb. THing about DCS is, we know where the instrument panel is, we know the target is in front of us somewhere, or at least where we are looking. So we kind of know where the MSAA mask needs to be.

I guess that's not the only thing you can mask, you can mask what's rendered way out in your peripheral vision. In that case, eye tracking would tend to obviate the benefit of wide screens. Masking the pixels you aren't using doesn't grow more pixels on the side where you need them, right? Eventually you gotta turn your head.

Flight sims is a different kind of thing. The ideal flight simulator would be a physical cockpit with the world projected onto a dome. We are sitting in here, and the world is out there. That is a simpler problem to solve than some other things. VR goggles is not the perfect solution, but they are relatively cheap.

My question is, what's the marginal utility of eyeball tracking for this sim. And I think the answer is, not much.

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder