Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

We still need to see the keyboard, hotas and mfd buttons. Unless we'd have something like minority report gloves, which could be used for manipulating the virtual cockpit.

This with a Leap Motion controller will be a nerdgasm for sure...

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oculus Rift, something DCS could support?

http://oculusvr.com/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

Technical specs of the Dev Kit (subject to change)

Head tracking: 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency

Field of view: 110 degrees diagonal / 90 degrees horizontal

Resolution: 1280x800 (640x800 per eye)

Inputs: DVI/HDMI and USB

Platforms: PC and mobile

Weight: ~0.22 kilograms

And we’re confident we can make the consumer version even more impressive, all without increasing price or sacrificing an ounce of quality.

Saw this, and immediately thought, "damn that would be cool in DCS".

I'm not sure what kinda changes would need to be done to DCS to support it, or if it would work out of the box.

But we are looking at roughly 1 year+ before we can expect consumer products. The developer kits are getting shipped in december.

You were beaten to the punch by a wee bit.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=93477

If you missed their kickstarter campaign then you can come look at my dev kit at Christmas!!!

EDIT: There is at least one other thread around here about it, and one on the ROF site as well. ;)

EDIT 2: This would be that ^ thread.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Lol, I saw that now. Oh well, the mods merged the thread so no worry :)

If I pass by your place by some random miraculous chance I'll definitively take you up on that offer.

Regarding the resolution. I don't think that would be much of a problem. As of now they are shipping the dev kits with 1280x800 (640x800 per eye) resolution. But we must remember that the density of pixels is much higher then on a normal 24" monitor.

But he has mentioned that already early next year there will be small displays with double and triple the resolution.

• 3 months later...

i would think any issues with keyboard utilization could be easily solved with VAC control... the should partner and bundle their software with the Oculus.

http://www.dwvac.com/

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I'd rather feel my way around my keyboard

Which brings me to my point, how often does anyone actually look at the keyboard to use it? The vast majority of the time when I reach for the keyboard, it's for an F key, and those are easy to feel around for.

I wonder if the Oculus will have a feature to tilt up, or just peak around, like NVG's. :pilotfly:

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

That, or nearly every command I need to use I have scripted to my TM Warthog. It's HOTAS for a reason. :P

I got the chance to test a developers kit version of Oculus at I/ITSEC a month back when I went to meet up with EvilBivol. It was incredible, even as a prototype. Really really looking forward to the production version!

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Which brings me to my point, how often does anyone actually look at the keyboard to use it? The vast majority of the time when I reach for the keyboard, it's for an F key, and those are easy to feel around for.

I wonder if the Oculus will have a feature to tilt up, or just peak around, like NVG's. :pilotfly:

Not often. I would have absolutely 0 problem simming without seeing the keyboard. My keyboard has no letters on it, for example. I suppose the people who wouldn't buy Oculus for flight simming are those with super duper home-built cockpits. (But if you had your cockpit built to perfect dimensions, and combined it with the "Leap" controller, or maybe two... imagine seeing your hands move WITHIN Oculus, but having tactile feedback besides? How's that for immersion?)

Noooo thank you, I'd rather feel my way around my keyboard than talk to my computer. :D (Especially since if I'm going to be flying a flight sim these days, 95% of my meaningful flight time is with VoIP.)

If your fingers are seen by the Leap (https://leapmotion.com/), then the appropriate driver could image your fingers in the Occulus Rift.

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

So did cichlidfan get his?

Woodbridge VA is not too far from me *cough* *cough* ;)

As mentioned earlier, they aren't going to ship until around April. My offer to come by and check it out still stands once I get it. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

ED has to

A) first fix this:

>>>http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1438334&postcount=38

B) make sure a device like this will be supported and can trigger the V-Cockpit switches.

Bungo Pete, to the rescue :thumbup:

I Konkurs... :)

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.