Oh Dear

So now that my hard drive has just died, there is no way I could use up a deactivation bacause I cant even get windows to boot.

Does this mean when I get a new drive I will have to use up one of those precious lives?

I really am of the opinion that:

IF I BOUGHT THE DISC I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO INSTALL AND UNINSTALL, AT WILL, ON A DAILY BASIS WITHOUT THOUGHT OR REPROCUSSIONS UNTILL THE ACTUAL DISK FAILS. THE SERIAL KEY SHOULD BE ENOUGH

Edited by Groove
swearing

The DRM debate aside, you should realize that many of the big publishers use activation systems, without deactivations, on disc-distributed software too. I've seen commercial products with solutions going as low as 3 activations (EA) and 1 activation/unlimited de-activation (Microsoft).

Also, people that approach ED in a nice manner when and if they have run into activation troubles (such as the last activation being burned) I have seen ED be quite nice about it. All-caps ranting is not the way to do it, though. ;)

But yes, it does mean you have to use another activation.

Oh, and do recall that yes, you bought a disc, but you don't need to fiddle with it every time you are going to play it - a feature I really love, personally. There's one disc that's been in my drive almost permanently, and that's FarCry2 which I haven't played in months. There's just never been reason to remove it since nothing else I play forces me to use the drive. That is, in my opinon, awesome. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I just cant resist the DRM rippoff .. I mean debate/rant.:music_whistling:

I always knew there was a reason why I stayed clear of recent EA products.:doh:

Micro$oft are kewl on hardware changes, you just ring them and the lady sorts it, you dont even need to be that nice about it either, just have a reason why. And because Micro$of know there is a reliable alternative, Linux

You will gain nothing by debating the DRM question here. It's been done in multitudes of threads and those times when the mods have been nice and let it go on it has ended up forcing them to intervene anyway because the language started going out of line.

But as I already said: ED will usually be quite nice about people who have, for legitimate reasons, run out of activations. Obviously it's not guaranteed but they are very friendly people as long as you are friendly to them.

If you have specific questions on the activation/deactivation system you can ask them, but I will not continue a discussion on the DRM. (Besides note that I of course don't like the system either - except just once stress again that the system used by TFC/ED is the most generous one I know of, that ED are very nice about helping people with legitimate problems, and that they have been very upfront with how it works and what limitations exist - in contrast to most publishers like Ubisoft, EA and so on.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

To answer your specific question - yes, you will likely have to use another activation when you install the product on a new hard drive, because you did not have an opportunity to deactivate the product. Understandably this may not be to your liking, but it's also part of the reason you are provided multiple activations and 10 additional deactivations, which should together last you through the product's life cycle. However, in case you run out of activations, ED supports granting you more so long as you have proof of purchase.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules