MAC Vs DCS system requirements??

Charlie-1

I kept reading on here during the introduction of deferred shading that DCS was only playable on a top level machine because it was for serious flight simmers who could afford one.

MAC appears to be using the same graphics engine as DCS, so Just wondering what the system requirements will be for MAC if intended to be for entry level flight simmers/ gamers who cannot afford a joystick?

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

They'll be similar. Its run on the same dcs world platform

You don't need a monster to run dcs if you give away in some areas

You do need a monster to run it in 4k on max or in vr

There may be slightly better performance of mac aircraft by virtue of the fact they are simplified. Ie there is less being done under the hood by the CPU

As an example people have reported poorer performance when in the cockpit of the new f18 and this seems to be related to the higher fidelity of the module

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

There may be slightly better performance of mac aircraft by virtue of the fact they are simplified. Ie there is less being done under the hood by the CPU

As an example people have reported poorer performance when in the cockpit of the new f18 and this seems to be related to the higher fidelity of the module

That's a good point :thumbup: I'm hoping it will be less demanding.. something I can run on my gaming laptop whilst traveling etc; a bit like War Thunder, which will run well on virtually anything.

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

I would imagine it will run on the same engine. A new engine is not something that is created in a short amount of time. And creating one while excluding DCS would be silly. As silly as developing a worse performing one just for MAC.

as they'll be running same game engine, performance will be exactly the same, maybe as 4 smaller portions of present maps will be included, performance could benefit from this !

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I would have thought it would be a good opportunity, or even requirement to be much less demanding if its target is an entry level game. I'm guessing a lot of existing and potential new players were left behind/ or put off by the increased system requirements the introduction of deferred shading.

I would have thought the original 1.5 would have been a more likely, less demanding engine to build an entry game on.

While it may be a side benefit (better performance) of the upcoming MAC product, my impression at least is that is not what it is being designed for. More to compete with others that have much less a learning curve and can quickly get in and play the game without spending hours upon hours learning systems.

I am sure they are hoping to capture a "larger piece of the pie" in the combat flight sim community with this move.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think most gamers already have setups which can run DCS decently.

But not a joystick? I'm totally confused by this move then when a simplified "arcade mode" button would turn DCS into a dumbed down version.

Hopefully it's been written by additional resource as there's so much unfinished in DCS.

• ED Team

The specs requirements will be pretty much the same I think, it's mostly a new GUI over the original DCS. Multiplayer is compatible between DCS and MAC, so I would expect the requirements to be about the same. But again, lets wait till closer to release.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Hopefully it's been written by additional resource as there's so much unfinished in DCS.

Let them run their company @@ Armchair shot calling is a popular trope, but pretty pointless.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

This MAC thing is getting even more confusing....

So it will be a separate thing based on DCS, but not DCS as it is ? It will be compatible in MP even tho only a limited part of the map is included in MAC ? How will that work ?

If I have FC3 I will have a discount and what about if I have the maps ?

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Let them run their company @@ Armchair shot calling is a popular trope, but pretty pointless.

Well as a paying customer for modules that are unfinished working on a platform that is full of bugs I am allowed to question if there are resolutions in sight for existing products or attention has wondered elsewhere?

The specs requirements will be pretty much the same I think, it's mostly a new GUI over the original DCS. Multiplayer is compatible between DCS and MAC, so I would expect the requirements to be about the same. But again, lets wait till closer to release.

Multilayer compatible as in players of both game platforms playing in the same online game?

• ED Team
Multilayer compatible as in players of both game platforms playing in the same online game?

Correct, if the Server Host runs a mission that supports MAC aircraft, they will be able to join and play alongside other DCS Modules.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
This MAC thing is getting even more confusing....

So it will be a separate thing based on DCS, but not DCS as it is ? It will be compatible in MP even tho only a limited part of the map is included in MAC ? How will that work ?

If I have FC3 I will have a discount and what about if I have the maps ?

If you are new to DCS, and not interested in study level sims, you might look at MAC and go that is for me. You would install it, it would be its own .exe and GUI, and you could forever more play MAC and never think about DCS World again.

You could play MAC for some time, and decide that now I want to try a study-level sim module, you fire up the DCS .exe, you launch DCS World, you buy the Hornet or whatever, your MAC aircraft are still there no matter the .exe you run.

For us, and by us I mean vets that have been around a while, we will launch DCS like we always do, maybe we have some FC3 content now MAC, we will still see it in DCS World, but perhaps you wanna check out MAC, fire up the MAC .exe and check it out.

Maps I am not 100% sure on, the smaller maps will be their own thing, and will not be compatible with the larger maps as in if you have the smaller MAC version you cant play on larger MP module map. More info on how all the map stuff works out to come.

Now, this is basically how I understand it right now, it may differ or change as we get closer. But that is roughly how it works.

64Sig.png

Interesting

In that case it potentially could have quite markedly different system requirements

It's own exe

Smaller maps

Reduced fidelity

All of that will contribute to a leaner lighter client probably

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Maps I am not 100% sure on, the smaller maps will be their own thing, and will not be compatible with the larger maps as in if you have the smaller MAC version you cant play on larger MP module map. More info on how all the map stuff works out to come.

Now, this is basically how I understand it right now, it may differ or change as we get closer. But that is roughly how it works.

And that, my good sir, is why I am concerned with MAC. Modern A2A combat (as it currently stands) is mostly Blue Hi-Fi modules (F-15C exception) vs Red FC3-level modules. If MAC goes its separate way (which seems logical due to the map / asset differences), I guess the red fighters still have to stick with FC3 anyway, making MAC useless for us "veterans".

I feel that it will be similar to the debates we have on OB vs Release... now compounded to MAC vs FC3 vs DCS:W. Should we not instead work on having something which brings the community together? rather than dividing player bases and letting them play in their own groups?

Pure MAC players won't get to know about the hi-fi modules and may not even look at them.

MAC doesn't interest me, but I can see how it could work.

New players or players without the desire to invest a lot of time can get MAC and enjoy it casually.

Some will get the DCS bug and start getting interested in the other aircraft that are available in DCS.

FC3 Aircraft give them a way into DCS without jumping straight into a full fidelity module.

Again, some will want more aircraft like the hornet and tomcat and will get into DCS.

As long as MAC is promoted in the right way and it is made clear about the different levels of fidelity, the point system in MAC could work as a way to get players to progress up the levels of difficulty by reducing the price of modules.

The shared multiplayer will expose MAC players to the other aircraft available in DCS, taunting them with goodies they can't have unless they invest in DCS.

And we all know you can't just get ONE plane... there is always "just one more"... :megalol:

As long as focus on DCS is not reduced, it could be good for ED's business.

Correct, if the Server Host runs a mission that supports MAC aircraft, they will be able to join and play alongside other DCS Modules.

Ok thanks.. so that would mean mouse pushers with much simplified controls competing with full sim DCS planes? Normally on-line games enforce the same abilities equally on all players.

So, from what i have gathered in various threads, it sounds like MAC will not be an entirely seperate installation from DCS world, but will share many assets with it, albeit being started via its on .exe file. So far, so good, nobody wants to waste space unnecessarily and have the exact same assets downloaded and stored twice.

But, for us not interested in MAC, i sure hope this will not be a mandatory install and part of the overall DCS world installation folder that will be shipped with a DCS World update on launch of MAC, even if we don't own MAC. Any info that?

nobody wants to waste space unnecessarily and have the exact same assets downloaded and stored twice.

Currently if you have multiple versions of DCS installed (eg release and open beta) there are 2 complete copies of everything, which wastes up to ~120GB!

At least everything is only downloaded once then copied though.

I expect MAC to be a completely separate product, perhaps with the same download-saving method if resources are shared with DCS.

Ok thanks.. so that would mean mouse pushers with much simplified controls competing with full sim DCS planes? Normally on-line games enforce the same abilities equally on all players.

Regret buying HOTAS yet? You can still fly with mouse if it's so much better… What were those aircraft manufacturers thinking when they installed those pitty sticks?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

If you are new to DCS, and not interested in study level sims, you might look at MAC and go that is for me. You would install it, it would be its own .exe and GUI, and you could forever more play MAC and never think about DCS World again.

You could play MAC for some time, and decide that now I want to try a study-level sim module, you fire up the DCS .exe, you launch DCS World, you buy the Hornet or whatever, your MAC aircraft are still there no matter the .exe you run.

For us, and by us I mean vets that have been around a while, we will launch DCS like we always do, maybe we have some FC3 content now MAC, we will still see it in DCS World, but perhaps you wanna check out MAC, fire up the MAC .exe and check it out.

If MAC will be a separate product it is a huge mistake.

• ED Team

You can enforce any rules you want, mission design is all up to you guys, you can add any aircraft you want, or leave any you want out.

64Sig.png