New interview with Cobra

Jumbik

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not making an argument for the AT-802U.

Proceeds to make an argument for the AT-802U

Any limitations involving the A-10 apply equally to the AT in the online context but the AT suffers more detractors and is far less survivable. Any methods one could use to survive in the AT apply equally to the A-10. That extra endurance is a wash in any multiplayer scenario anyway barring a marathon. The real difference in Ka-50 versus A-10 performance is how its flown in my opinion.

But its all a joke anyway. DCS Crop Duster would inflame the forums too much. :P

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

I know it could do something, but I think it would be extremely fragile and basically incapable of defending itself except via wholesale avoidance of threats. Its hard enough for an A-10 to out fly threats that engage them, nevermind a prop plane thats basically going to be flying at least 1/3 slower.

If you look at the history of that type of aircraft in the Vietnam war you'll notice that the Misty Fast FACs flying F-100Ds were created specifically because those slow flying prop planes were getting shot down in droves. The Misty FACs would fly at 400-450 knots over the target in order to survive, and this was really before MANPADS became a factor even. Misty FACs also suffered a 25% casualty rate with that capability. The prop planes suffered far worse.

The real advantage helos have in that situation is being able to hide behind hills and kite the enemy. Fixed wing really needs to play a totally different game and so an armed recon/FAC type prop plane, even with modern goodies, is pretty much a sitting duck in most situations that aren't basically flying over Columbia fighting the drug war or something like the post war phases of Iraq and Afghanistan.

The only real advantage that aircraft would have over an A-10 is cost and loiter time, but a loiter time thats only really beneficial to a mission longer than anyone is going to be playing.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.