Beslan has no ILS runway

Delfi

I have been trying the difficult Su-27 landing training and keep crashing. I have noticed Beslan's runway is not lit nor does it appear to have ILS as the needles on the HSI do not move. The mission I understand is set up to train the player to perform an IFR approach in Soviet aircraft, but that is impossible when the airport in question doesn't have ILS. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future.

I just tried it and landed safely.

1. It is specificaly said in the briefing and during the flight that ILS is not available but the HSI, ADI and HUD circle and are working fine.

2. Contact Beslan ATC radio for Inbound - they will light up the runway for you. Do it through comm menu.

3. Do you follow instructiions to turn on the Return mode?

4. You should turn on the nav lights and langing lights too (after gear down).

5. There is strong crosswind so you should probably try VFR crosswind landings first.

It's not really that IFR if you see the runway from 10km.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I followed instructions to the letter. To my chagrin contacting ATC was not mentioned. I'll do that next time.

Landing a Russian plane is definitely different without the velocity vector as a guide.

Some tutorials were created when airfields were always lit. This may be one of the older ones. So there was no required call to turn the lights on. As mentioned, calling “inbound” will get the runway lights illuminated. Further calling the tower to request landing, when instructed will get additional threshold lighting turned on as well.

While the Russian birds don’t have a fpm, the director circle will guide you down safely. Even without the director circle, landing visually isn’t hard once you understand what the sight picture should look like.

If memory serves, there are only 6 runways in the Caucasus equipped with the Russian ILS.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I got them to light up the runway and almost stuck the landing this time. This is something to keep practicing.

Excellent! Enjoy. And everything gets better with practice.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.