Indication of afterburner on/off

Shuenix

I can't hear the afterburner and it's OK. But we need some kind of indication off afterburner on/off.

It could be a "click" sound of a kind.

It could be pilots head pushed a little back when AB kicks in and head a little forward when AB is turning off.

It's very silly having to use F2 to verify AB off.

Hope it can be done somehow.

Look at your IFIE. Nozzle position, fuel flow...

Still would be nice with an instant indication, so we dont have to add "looking at IFIE" to the workload.

BTW, according to Chuck, you cant use fuel flow to determent if AB is on or not: "Another peculiarity of the Hornet is that the reheaters can only be monitored with the nozzle angle and the afterburner sounds. The fuel flow indication does not give you the added fuel flow injected to the jet pipe downstream of (i e after) the turbine to the afterburner section. You can monitor engine parameters on the DDI ENG Support page and on the IFEI (Integrated Fuel/Engine Indicator) panel"

Edited by Shuenix

You can activate the fingerlift detents on the Hornet special options menu. You can choose either not having it, having it only on the carrier deck, or having them always on.

If you have them always on, afterburner won't click if you don't have the finger litfs activated. Just remember that in order to work you need that the throttle go under 100%, then activate fingerlifts and then go through the detent.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But we need some kind of indication off afterburner on/off.

Do "we", now? I think no, "we" don't.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

BTW, according to Chuck, you cant use fuel flow to determent if AB is on or not

That's curious, I typically see a pretty marked FF increase when going into burner. At lower altitudes FF over 100 seems to be a fairly reliable indication of afterburner, as does RPM at 100. As altitude increases both of those becomes less reliable indications and nozzle position needs to used primarily.

Already requested here:

I'll feature request some sort of aural feedback.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Still would be nice with an instant indication, so we dont have to add "looking at IFIE" to the workload.

BTW, according to Chuck, you cant use fuel flow to determent if AB is on or not: "Another peculiarity of the Hornet is that the reheaters can only be monitored with the nozzle angle and the afterburner sounds. The fuel flow indication does not give you the added fuel flow injected to the jet pipe downstream of (i e after) the turbine to the afterburner section. You can monitor engine parameters on the DDI ENG Support page and on the IFEI (Integrated Fuel/Engine Indicator) panel"

So you dont want to look at IFIE, but you dot mind having to press F2 then F1.

Hrmmmmm

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

the EFIE tells you when you are in AB, by fuel flow alone.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

You can activate the fingerlift detents on the Hornet special options menu. You can choose either not having it, having it only on the carrier deck, or having them always on.

If you have them always on, afterburner won't click if you don't have the finger litfs activated. Just remember that in order to work you need that the throttle go under 100%, then activate fingerlifts and then go through the detent.

Exactly that. If you don't have some sort of physical detent on your throttle and/or are otherwise unable to tell, use a button for the finger lifts. The F-16 has it as well.

Alternatively, you can monitor the controls indicator with RCtrl+Enter. Or use the IFEI, but keeping in mind that you'd have to monitor FF at the moment the AB kicks in. The FF alone isn't an indicator, but the FF delta can be reliably used to tell.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Why so hard on this guy?

It's not like he's asking for a gauge indicating AB ON or whatever, merely asking for an audible clicking sound when throttles being pushed through the detent.. Not having sat in a Hornet IRL but i can imagine that pushing throttles through the detent would actually make some kind of sound.

Specially for people being forced to using X-56s and similar rather than super expensive hardware it would help a ton, you can't imagine how many times i messed up already because i was unintentionally pushing into burners 0.3NM on a LSO "power" call...

Don't like it?

Well, there's always the "hear like in helmet" function to be found in the settings..

• 1 month later...
Why so hard on this guy?

It's not like he's asking for a gauge indicating AB ON or whatever, merely asking for an audible clicking sound when throttles being pushed through the detent.. Not having sat in a Hornet IRL but i can imagine that pushing throttles through the detent would actually make some kind of sound.

Specially for people being forced to using X-56s and similar rather than super expensive hardware it would help a ton, you can't imagine how many times i messed up already because i was unintentionally pushing into burners 0.3NM on a LSO "power" call...

Don't like it?

Well, there's always the "hear like in helmet" function to be found in the settings..

:thumbup: