[REPORTED] New sounds are weak

AdmiralQuality

All these sounds from in-game.

So you found one sound that you think is worse than the old one. But even by this sound I can’t agree with you, the old one is less correct than what I personally recorded and personally heard with my own ears.

The pitch may not coincide, because I did not set the RPM in the simulator perfectly for both modes. In any case, I think the new option is more correct. If you do not agree, you can always dispute with your references, we will create a bug and quickly resolve this issue.

I didn't hear 2700rpm on the ground in RL. And I don’t have such records. I set the volume levels from the available, up to 2000 rpm

P-51 run up rpm is 2300 so it is possible to record more then 2000 on the ground.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

There are some aspects of the new v. 40647 sounds I wouldn't mind seeing re-evaluated:

a) external sounds form the side when engine has been turned off in flight seem to be the same as with engine running (prop noise too loud?). The issue affects both Spitfire and Mustang. Konstantin, I think You fixed that problem in the Spit two updates ago, but it's back again in both planes, is it how it's supposed to be given the engine limitations, or is it a bug?;

b) new internal in-flight prop sounds are more audible in Mustang now and start to dominate over the engine sound at mid to high power settings. I think the balance between these is better in the Spit and was better in the Mustang before latest patch;

c) not a fan of quiet idle and low RPM sounds as they're somewhat out of balance with all other non-engine ones now (switches, levers, pumps etc.), but I understand why the've been made this way and I guess I'll get used to them.

Other than that the complete package for the Mustang is for the most part a massive improvement over the old ones, which, apart form point b) mentioned above, were anything BUT "fine" and there's no way in hell we should roll back to them. That being said, sounds on AQ's videos on page 3 are indeed quite different from what I hear on my headphones in latest version of the game. They certainly lack lower tones and have exhaust pop louder than expected. Whether it's the issue of AQ's sound card settings, or his video capturing software settings, or YT compression - something's amiss there and shouldn't happen.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

There are some aspects of the new v. 40647 sounds I wouldn't mind seeing re-evaluated:

a) external sounds form the side when engine has been turned off in flight seem to be the same as with engine running (prop noise too loud?). The issue affects both Spitfire and Mustang. Konstantin, I think You fixed that problem in the Spit two updates ago, but it's back again in both planes, is it how it's supposed to be given the engine limitations, or is it a bug?;

b) new internal in-flight prop sounds are more audible in Mustang now and start to dominate over the engine sound at mid to high power settings. I think the balance between these is better in the Spit and was better in the Mustang before latest patch;

c) not a fan of quiet idle and low RPM sounds as they're somewhat out of balance with all other non-engine ones now (switches, levers, pumps etc.), but I understand why the've been made this way and I guess I'll get used to them.

Other than that the complete package for the Mustang is for the most part a massive improvement over the old ones, which, apart form point b) mentioned above, were anything BUT "fine" and there's no way in hell we should roll back to them. That being said, sounds on AQ's videos on page 3 are indeed quite different from what I hear on my headphones in latest version of the game. They certainly lack lower tones and have exhaust pop louder than expected. Whether it's the issue of AQ's sound card settings, or his video capturing software settings, or YT compression - something's amiss there and shouldn't happen.

Yes point a) is concerning me too not much sound difrence when gliding power off or cut off then power glide in external sound level.

Point b) engine somehow get quieter above 55" inside cocpit and outside.

You can add engine sound level in option so ppl who will enjoy 130dB sounds can hear them :P

Rolling back is out of option for me.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

+1 to all of this. When the engine is off in flight it still sounds like the cylinders are firing. It does this with all piston aircraft.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

The general consensus here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=254149 seems very positive for the updates.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

(…)Please stop trying to make excuses for yourselves when you should be trying to do better work. Making excuses won't satisfy customers, only scare them away.

(…)

I see now that this is all about you. As long as you're happy with yourself, that's what we're paying for.

I'm done arguing with you. Thanks anyway.

It's not a big thread, but the thread about the change to the sounds has 100% positive reactions, as does most of this thread.

The devs made the changes to improve the SIM.

Only 1 person is reacting like someone has taken a pop at them personally, and accusing the devs of deviousness, laziness and selfishness.

Can's see an excuse for it myself.

Ever heard the expression 'you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar' ?

Manners cost nothing.

Cheers.

The general consensus here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=254149 seems very positive for the updates.

That reaction was from the updates that happened before these bigger changes. About the same time the spitfire had it's updates, maybe they shared some of the same sounds?

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

• ED Team

Nice to read constructive criticism. thanks :)

a) this is partly a mistake. Why partially? because the bulk of the sound at high rpms is precisely the sound of the propeller. And it will not become quieter if you turn off the engine. But I agree that probably I need to lower the overall volume in this case. I'm just waiting for confirmation about this. And I will fix it right away

b) thanks, I'll check this. As I reported earlier, there is a big nasty bug with external sound getting into the cockpit. And this can only be fixed at the DCS's core engine. While we are waiting for fixes from our main developers about this.

Point b) engine somehow get quieter above 55" inside cocpit and outside.

Thanks. We will discuss this moment with Nick for sure. Perhaps a decision will be made to increase the dynamics of overall volume at lower rpms for more "playability" to the detriment of reality.

it's still beta. And surely some corrections will be

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

• ED Team
That reaction was from the updates that happened before these bigger changes. About the same time the spitfire had it's updates, maybe they shared some of the same sounds?

1st part of the reaction was in November, when only some of cockpit sounds were changed.

2nd part - in December, when almost everything was changed

Best regards,

Pls look at this

here is p-51 landing with power glide and 2 point landing but once he cut throttle you can hear it

engine is going quiet instantly and exhaust stack detonations can be hearable once engine rpm drops engine sound change to normal idle sound.

If throttle would be cut in flight engine will react the same only back firing too low air/fuel mixture too high rpm so combustion is timed wrong for given parameters. Ignition retard/advance system is linked to the throttle

I know that separating engine sound from prop sound is probably impossible :)

If pilot will cut throttle in flight back firing will be consistent and continue until engine rpm will drop.

Like here.

Like in second movie you can hear how engine sound is returning back to normal as soon as a/f mixture combustion is more complete before exhaust valve is open.

I am bringing this on not because new sound are bad they are very good, i am doing it because p-51 sounds are no table right now :)

Edited by grafspee

• ED Team

Thanks. But these are different behaviors on landing and in the air at high rpms. When landing, the prop rotates at low speeds and with a further decrease after a certain moment, ~below 1500rpm, its sound disappears. We also implemented it in DCS. I tried to record a video from a simulator. Perhaps our sound is not so sharply removed as in the video. Maybe. But the rpms is not quite the same.

(I cut throttle at the moment of bypass the camera)

Cockpit:

I would be very grateful for such a video, but so that the rpms sharply dropped from high rpms in the air to a minimum

Edited by btd

Best regards,

Thanks. But these are different behaviors on landing and in the air at high rpms. When landing, the prop rotates at low speeds and with a further decrease after a certain moment, ~below 1500rpm, its sound disappears. We also implemented it in DCS. I tried to record a video from a simulator. Perhaps our sound is not so sharply removed as in the video. Maybe. But the rpms is not quite the same.

(I cut throttle at the moment of bypass the camera)

Cockpit:

I would be very grateful for such a video, but so that the rpms sharply dropped from high rpms in the air to a minimum

Rpm in the air will not drop sharply no matter what pilot do.

And you slammed rpm handle back and forward on your clips, no no no :)

Both landings are done at 2700 rpm set, only throttle movement.

On second movie he got about 2500 rpm when he cut throttle.

I would say that both are quite similar. When throttle cut out in flight only back fire + prop should be hearable.

p-51.trk

Edited by grafspee

• ED Team

As the engine turned off, the power it dissopates is not significantly lower than in power-on mode. So, the sound will not be significantly lower. Especially at high speed when the tip speed is close to transonic range.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

As the engine turned off, the power it dissopates is not significantly lower than in power-on mode. So, the sound will not be significantly lower. Especially at high speed when the tip speed is close to transonic range.

Right now for me is exactly the same is it 6" MP or 61" in fly by view and no back fire at low MP at high rpm

And prop is not that much loud for example check p-38 t/o where engines sound is greatly reduced by turbo system

Edited by grafspee

• ED Team
Right now for me is exactly the same is it 6" MP or 61" in fly by view and no back fire at low MP at high rpm

And prop is not that much loud for example check p-38 t/o where engines sound is greatly reduced by turbo system

Anyway, Spitfire prop sound is very distinctive in the whole mix. Prop sound you can hear as you set camera in front of the plane. Less exhaust.

An crackling sound... will check but they were in the mix, as far as I remeber.

UPD. Checked. The crackling sound is almost constant as you cut the throttle on final.

Edited by Yo-Yo

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

2:36 when pilot cut throttle to 0, after this engien is quiet only back fire present and prop bearly hearable.

2:33 engine power on

If this what you saying is truth back fire sound would appear and engine/prop sound would go away gradual while engine rpm are going down, but this loud sound goes away instantly like on off this is 90% engine sound what we can hear at this approach

Edited by grafspee

• ED Team
Pls look at this

here is p-51 landing with power glide and 2 point landing but once he cut throttle you can hear it

engine is going quiet instantly and exhaust stack detonations can be hearable once engine rpm drops engine sound change to normal idle sound.

If throttle would be cut in flight engine will react the same only back firing too low air/fuel mixture too high rpm so combustion is timed wrong for given parameters. Ignition retard/advance system is linked to the throttle

It is exactly the same as you can hear in DCS now.

It is exactly the same as you can hear in DCS now.

I cant hear it, i cant point out when i cut throttle while i am watching my landing from side.

Right now it looks like engine sound is binded to engine RPM higher rpm louder sound.

Right now what i can hear is exactly what i said earlier.

Engine sound goes away with engine rpm gradual no sudden drop in loudness. while cuting throttle.

• ED Team
I cant hear it, i cant point out when i cut throttle while i am watching my landing from side.

Right now it looks like engine sound is binded to engine RPM higher rpm louder sound.

Right now what i can hear is exactly what i said earlier.

Engine sound goes away with engine rpm gradual no sudden drop in loudness. while cuting throttle.

Please, specify the view you describe sound at. I tried in-cockpit and it is very noticable and natural for me.

I am uloading a video with simulated stabilised approache and landing. And, by the way, during the final approach rpm is recommended to SET to 2700 for the case of go-around, but actual rpm depends on the speed and MP. Stabilised approach is about -1000 fpm at 120-130 mph, so MP to maintain this numbers is not necessary to get 2700 (prop at low pitch stop).

Please, specify the view you describe sound at. I tried in-cockpit and it is very noticable and natural for me.

I am uloading a video with simulated stabilised approache and landing. And, by the way, during the final approach rpm is recommended to SET to 2700 for the case of go-around, but actual rpm depends on the speed and MP. Stabilised approach is about -1000 fpm at 120-130 mph, so MP to maintain this numbers is not necessary to get 2700 (prop at low pitch stop).

That is i said "2700rpm set" i know that rpm will drop when airspeed drop

Inside sounds are good, i am talking about external sounds.i 2 point landed rolled for a while and cut throttle then i watch my track from maby 50-100 meters side from runway

no back fire hearable and gradualy lowering noise from engine prop during slowing down. nothing like this what we can see in this youtube pick

Edited by grafspee

• ED Team

• ED Team
That is i said "2700rpm set" i know that rpm will drop when airspeed drop

Inside sounds are good, i am talking about external sounds.i 2 point landed rolled for a while and cut throttle then i watch my track from maby 50-100 meters side from runway

no back fire hearable and gradualy lowering noise from engine prop during slowing down. nothing like this what we can see in this youtube pick

It can be tuned, yes.

My mistake - got that thread and the generally positive comments in this one muddled up

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• ED Team

Dear all, as I said, Nick is travelling to Moscow on Wednesday, while he is there he said he will discuss the sounds, from his discussion with me, the inflight stuff is 90% right, but the stuff on the ground needs love.

Both sides of this are very passionate, btd does awesome sound work, and I know the community knows these aircraft well, and cares for them, and expects nothing but the best from us.

Let's see what they come up with on Wednesday and go from there. I am going to close this for now as we have identified some issues to look at. Again, I appreciate all the feedback and will take it all into account when looking at it.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png