Thinking about buying F14B

SAABoy

After 6 months of casual FC3 I'm thinking about fulfilling why I really came to DCS: learning to fly the F14B but $80 feels steep especially when others are on sale.

1) Should I wait for next sale where it might be 25% $(20) off?

2) Should I buy from HeatBlur's store?

Thanks,

After 6 months of casual FC3 I'm thinking about fulfilling why I really came to DCS: learning to fly the F14B but $80 feels steep especially when others are on sale.

Thanks,

1. It depends on how deep your wallet is and how passionate you are on the Cat. Its beautifully made. HB have done a great job. But tbh its best to fly it with human RIO although you can also fly it with jester. You cant employ LGB while on pilot seat without human RIO right now in MP without a mod IIRC. Thats a big thing for me as I only fly MP. So I mostly fly it as CAP or interceptor in MP to troll Hornets and Flankers with the Phoenix lol. Its fun.

2. Is there a different?

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

1. It depends on how deep your wallet is and how passionate you are on the Cat. Its beautifully made. HB have done a great job. But tbh its best to fly it with human RIO although you can also fly it with jester. You cant employ LGB while on pilot seat without human RIO right now in MP without a mod IIRC. Thats a big thing for me as I only fly MP. So I mostly fly it as CAP or interceptor in MP to troll Hornets and Flankers with the Phoenix lol. Its fun.

2. Is there a different?

2. I could buy from HeatBlur's website or I could buy from ED shop: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/tomcat/

Just like I bought FC3 from ED to reduce any cash they'd lose to steam, I'd like to buy from HeatBlur's site to reduce any cash loss to ED. Wondering if there's a reason not to.

Judging by these hundreds of hours we usually get out of DCS modules, those asking prices are still too low, imho. :)

So yes, get it asap - you'll love it.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

... I'd like to buy from HeatBlur's site to reduce any cash loss to ED. Wondering if there's a reason not to.

There isn't, for that very reason I purchased the F-14 directly from Heatblur .. tough I did on pre-release to save $10, as I knew that I wanted the plane even if on early access.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It's totally worth it imho. Just know the limitations of early access, canopy view, old hud, 2 crew (as a pilot you don't control everything), no FBW, etc. before buying. If you want it and can afford it - get it now.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

This DCS F-14 isn't a simulator, it's the real thing. At least it feels that way (especially in VR). Once you are in the cockpit and flying you realize what an absolute stunning job Heatblur has done. Is it worth $80. Absolutely not. Should be priced at $180. But thank goodness competitive forces in the market place have kept it just at $80.

Any of the study-level modules require hours and hours and hours to get good at. If you buy every study-level module and don't play them, then it's expensive. If you buy the F-14 and then play hours and hours and hours and hours and hours, then your costs are pennies. More expensive to eat heart attack food at McD's.

Thinking about buying F14B

I got the F14 recently and have been learning it. In my opinion, it's not so much a question of whether it's worth it - because it is one of the best modules worth paying for. It's more a question of whether it suits your type of fighter preference. If you like doing all that advance modern stuff in a single seat fighter (eg. F18/16), you'll have to get used to the Cat. Because certain things are going to be different.

For example: You have to play pilot and RIO to fully utilise/enjoy all the systems. When you are RIO (in SP), the AI pilot only flies and can't fight. In fact I sense the RIO has more buttons to click and is busier than the pilot. So as pilot you aren't in charge of everything like in single seat fighters.

The systems are a step back in time, technology and familiarity with the F18/16. It can still be fun to learn 'strange' old tech but it's different and more work (buttons/switches). The countermeasures for example are pretty complex/laborious and is mostly the RIO's job. You also can't do BVR/TWS radar locks as pilot, you have to get the RIO to do it or toggle to RIO. There's no indicated airspeed on the HUD, you have to look at a needle gauge somewhere bottom left in the vertical panel.

As to the Cat being non fly-by-wire, the stalls and less forgiving flight characteristics are to me reminiscent of flying WWII prop planes, to put it in layman terms.

But because it's a well made module, fully learning it will make you enjoy it and 'not miss' what you could do in say the F18. Just my early impressions. I got the Cat as retail therapy after getting the 16, lol.

Lastly, you might find the 'official' video tutorials lacking when there is so much to learn. Not to worry, 'Cap' has an excellent detailed comprehensive list of video tutorials on YouTube

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Anytime Baby!

Thanks,

First of all, don't hold your breath for that discount.. it won't come for at least another year.. im serious.

Second, just buy wherever you're comfy. And it's easily worth more than $80.

As for the module, I'd say it's overall the best module period. No other module has been released so complete and beautifully done (and with an album of its' own!) Also, don't worry about Jester, I'd say they NAILED it!(plus they keep updating it anyways) In fact, Heatblur did so well, that I will be buying their next module in early access. That's how much many of us trust them. So whatcha waitin' for?! Go get it!

Anytime Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] "Keep it above the trees." :joystick: -xHUGHBACCAx

edit- BTW, I do own almost all modules now, save for some trainers and some WWII birds. Tomcat is the favorite! on the plus side, it will out turn and out run an F-18 under most flight conditions.. ya just have to give it time and practice

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] "Keep it above the trees." :joystick: -xHUGHBACCAx

Thanks,

You state you came to DCS to learn the F14.

I can only restate what others have already said. The Tomcat is absolutely worth the money. I have many modules in DCS. I fly the Tomcat more than any other, it knocked my first love, the Hog out of the arena. It knocked my second love, the Hornet out of the arena. The only one that is still a serious contender is the Huey in the flight hours stakes and that is only because it is a classic rotorwing.

The other stuff never sees the light of day anymore.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Thanks for all the replies. I bought from HeatBlur's website and almost instantly received a redeem code that worked in DCS module manager. The final nail in the coffin was when I stumbled upon a HeatBlur post about a SAAB Draken AI they made a while back. <3 SAAB so I'm imagining my purchase will be a tiny drop in the bucket of a future Gripen module development :)

Here's my first flight: barely got off the ground, went full afterburner, inverted, pulled 9+ g's and passed out, regained consciousness without crashing into trees. RIO must have passed out as well otherwise I would've expected him to eject. I don't think the F14B has any sort of auto-GCAS so this must have been luck.

It's been a challenge translating Chuck's controls onto my X52 PRO but I'll figure it out in time.

The Warthog, Mirage, and Tomcat are the only DCS modules that are actually worth their full asking price IMO. The Tomcat is far and away the most impressive module yet made. Anyone questioning whether it's worth $80 is just showing they don't really understand the depth and quality of the simulation we're talking about IMO.

I bought it 2 days ago. After reading Chucks Guide, watching YT-Videos and mapping my controls, I finally took her for some flying over Caucasus.

WOW. I should have bought her much, much earlier.

Those Sounds. It's constatly clicking and clacking. For everything you do, you'll get some acoustic response from the Cat. If you pull the stick, you'll get some magnificent wingflex. You really can feel, that the TomCat is a sort of an analogue plane. Plus Jester talking with you from the Backseat. Great. :thumbup:

I get the feeling, that there is much to learn and that it takes quite some practice to fully master her. Definitely great value for your money. Have not felt that happy since buying the Viggen and the Mirage.

Heatblur outdid themselves with the Cat. Great Module, great plane.

Believe me, got get it. NOW. I waited much too long. Don't make the same mistake. :D

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

Thanks for all the replies. I bought from HeatBlur's website and almost instantly received a redeem code that worked in DCS module manager. The final nail in the coffin was when I stumbled upon a HeatBlur post about a SAAB Draken AI they made a while back. <3 SAAB so I'm imagining my purchase will be a tiny drop in the bucket of a future Gripen module development :)

Here's my first flight: barely got off the ground, went full afterburner, inverted, pulled 9+ g's and passed out, regained consciousness without crashing into trees. RIO must have passed out as well otherwise I would've expected him to eject. I don't think the F14B has any sort of auto-GCAS so this must have been luck.

It's been a challenge translating Chuck's controls onto my X52 PRO but I'll figure it out in time.

This thing is way harder to fly than that FC3 Su-27 :0

This thing is way harder to fly than that FC3 Su-27 :0

Yes, it is very different. Take your time and practice. Most importantly be gentle with the stick - don't yank it, move smoothly and don't pull over 17 units angle of attack. Use rudder a lot, especially in high alpha situations instead of lateral stick. Avoid using big moves stick aft and lateral at the same time. She'll appreciate your care and will happily dance for you :thumbup:

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria