Labels in VR

dburne

I have posted on this before and wanted to bring up again.

I fly SP only in VR, and my preference is with labels on.

Currently however they are just too big, way too big in VR.

When flying the Spitfire campaign, and ground targets are involved, can't even make them out - just a large cluster of big labels. Same when landing at an airfield with other aircraft around, those large labels cover up all of the runway. Yeah I know I can toggle them off, but just is a good example of how big they are. Also gunsight reticle in the Spit is very large as well.

Looking off in the distance I see these huge labels of other aircraft that are quite a ways away.

Please consider addressing this at some point in the future. Currently it is really hurting the experience for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Labels are highly customizable. Have you looked into getting them to show a little less info? Perhaps just a single ^ sign to indicate them?

Look for the file in C:\users\<yourname>\saved games\DCS\options\labels.lua and edit the font size setting.

Edited by schurem

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

I was playing with the labels recently in this thread for VR dburne, give the attached label file in post 9 a go. I try to explain the things you can turn on off and change in post 4 and 9, try post 9 first and tweak it to suit your settings until ED makes changes.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thanks I will have a look. I really prefer not to mod any files, but may do so on this one to at least get it to a reasonable level so I could maybe actually enjoy some campaign flying. I had started the Spit Epsom Campaign quite some time ago but stopped after first couple of missions for this very reason.

Thanks much!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

No modding anything, the original is always here

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View

The mod goes here:

C:\Users\(YOUR USER NAME)\Saved Games\DCS(beta etc)\Config\View

It the same install file structure (mimic)

If you mess up the label file just delete it and DCS will automatically go back and look at it's original file. DCS just always looks in YOUR save game file first for a modified file to use ( if there use it), it's the same file ED tweaks when playing with labels in the first place.

Just use note pad to edit (no ms word etc), or better for editing note pad ++

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Awesome will give it a try, many thanks!!

Don B

I recommend as well off-set the labels by 10-20 px in both axis so they don't actually reveal you exact position but just general area. And then play around with the contrast and transparency as you can make the labels fade nicely in and out depending the background etc so you can actually have situation here you spot aircraft before you even see the labels.

It requires then you to keep an eye what is around instead just read labels.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I was playing with the labels recently in this thread for VR dburne, give the attached label file in post 9 a go. I try to explain the things you can turn on off and change in post 4 and 9, try post 9 first and tweak it to suit your settings until ED makes changes.

Thank you for posting that. I've tried labels before (new installation recently), and will give your settings a go.

I just wish DCS had a more intelligent way of dealing with this, e.g.

Make targets appear as conspicuous dots depending on target distance AND SIZE, to relate to when an average person would first be able to see them in reality.

Show target name when relative target size means an average person would be able to identify them (including if target is magnified via a targeting pod, i.e. display label in the MFD).

All as options, of course.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

glad I came across this thread. going to try it out in SP/VR.

thx,

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 4 weeks later...

I've been experimenting with these, and have attached what I've come up with so far (it's wip - esp distances). Comments and suggestions welcome.

Labels.lua

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 1 year later...
I've been experimenting with these, and have attached what I've come up with so far (it's wip - esp distances). Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks a lot Hippo, it´s excellent. Btw, do you know if there´s way to turn it off momentarily ? (via assign a command (key) or something).

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Thanks a lot Hippo, it´s excellent. Btw, do you know if there´s way to turn it off momentarily ? (via assign a command (key) or something).

Thank you for that. Please note that labels have been borked for months now, and that they no longer fade in and out, which was a major component of what I was trying to achieve.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=230253&highlight=labels

Labels can be turned on and off. There are keystrokes for turning on/off aircraft, ground, and missile labels individually, and a keystroke for turning them on/off collectively. Unfortunately, I can't check what they are at the moment as my PC's on the fritz. But there's a Labels section in the controller options.

Edited by Hippo

Labels can be turned on and off. There are keystrokes for turning on/off aircraft, ground, and missile labels individually, and a keystroke for turning them on/off collectively. Unfortunately, I can't check what they are at the moment as my PC's on the fritz. But there's a Labels section in the controller options.

Oh man, thanks and sorry for my dumb question , I found it easily in the controller options. :doh:

The fact is that in 6 years I had never used labels in DCS, but with VR I was forced to decrease certain graphics settings and now I need to use labels sometimes.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

• 3 weeks later...

Since ED made some changes to labels in one of the most recent updates, i took a new shot at it and fading out works. Check here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=246692

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules