Rift S or Index or Reverb

Skinnee

Anyone tried all these out?

Not sure what to invest in , dont care on price , just the best visual quality.

Will have an I9 , 2080TI rig to drive it

I’m in Australia so not sure if Index is coming , Reverb here October, Rift S available now

Thanks in advance

Depends on what you want out of VR and how soon you might want it.

Best overall VR experience for those that want more than just fight sims in VR, probably Oculus Rift S. While my first love is flight sims, I very much enjoy several games that support Oculus Touch controllers. And the headset has 5 cameras for it's inside/out tracking that works quite good.

Valve Index probably next in line, little more complex in setting up due to Lighthouse technology for tracking versus inside out for Rift S and Reverb. Best tracking method for experience utilizing room scale.

If only for seated games namely flight sims and racing games, probably Reverb for best visual quality. They have significant issues right now, but maybe they will have them all sorted by the time they are available in your part of the world. From what I have read the Reverb image quality is second to none.

I myself have been using Rift S since release day of May 24th and it has been working splendidly for me.

Please note I have only used Oculus Rift and Oculus Rift S to date. My comments based only on what I have read from others across various forums.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well, here i am. In deference to Aurelius and "The software side of the Rift S is easier than..." i would recite: “There are always two choices. Two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it’s easy.” -Unknown

i9, 2080ti and don't care on price - suits very well for the Valve Index. Make sure you also get a good mainboard, fast RAM and a big PC power supply.The Index outclasses the other two in every aspect: tracking, LCD panel quality, optics, audio, comfort, field of view... And you'll find a lot of other cool VR activities you can do with it outside of DCS (try Project Cars 2 for instance or Onward, GORN, SkyrimVR, Blade&Sorcery, Eleven Table Tennis and many more).

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I've got the reverb and perfromance is amazing.

There are some minor downsides to it, but in terms of clarity I don't think anything really can beat it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

We all have our own personal bias. Pick one and try (the cheapest one if you are not sure what you are looking for in a VR headset). Buy from a place with good return policy, switch if you don’t like it. There is no perfect headset out there, they all have their own shortcomings.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I've had all three and the Rift S was given to my son. The Index and Reverb are the top two in my opinion but the Index come out first for DCS on overall smoother performance. The Reverb is by far the best in screen resolution, clarity and SDE but is not as smooth as the index. It take quite a bit more effort to fine tune the Reverb to run well in DCS but I think I got it set up almost as good as the Index. The Index FOV is slightly better but not by much and the resolution, clarity is very good with DCS but there is SDE that I can see in DCS. I use the Reverb for DCS and watching movies and the Index for FPS shooters.

If your on a budget, get the Rift S since it a good HMD for DCS

If you only plan to play sit down sims only, get the Reverb if clarity and no SDE is important to you but you need a top of the line PC to get the best out of the Reverb.

If you want to play many different game genres like sim and FPS, get the Index for better overall performer.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Thanks all - think I will play it safe in Aus and go Rift S and then upgrade once I know other platforms are stable.

I only play FPS and really good RPG like Witcher 3, besides flight sims

I come from these days of F19 Stealth Fighter, Janes, Apache Longbow, Falcon 3

It take quite a bit more effort to fine tune the Reverb to run well in DCS but I think I got it set up almost as good as the Index.

It didn't for me. I literally installed it, installed WMRforSteamVR. And fired up DCS and it RAN FINE with my old rift CV1 settings, including my old PD setting of 1.8. Since then I turned it down a bit to turn up other features like draw distance, and actually increase my GFX settings vs what I was running with my rift in some ways.

I have no idea why you had issues, especially since I think your system actually looks to be better than mine on paper.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

if you're new to VR and you play FPS Onward is a must buy.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Let me just warn you, someone else said it earlier but as someone who just got a nice new 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid water cooled monster, DCS still runs like shit in VR after hours of tweaking. Also, like someone else mentioned for whatever reason Rift S runs it better (have both as well).

My CPU/GPU frametime is rediculous and only utilizing 60% of the GPU and roughly same of CPU (although single core). It doesn't matter if I set it to potato mode or crank the SS and MSAA up it's still like locked to 40fps or 15-20 if anything is going on. I will say that for some strange reason, the SS of 1.8 seems to actually run better than any other SS setting even 1.0.

I've been flipping back and forth between HMDs trying to decide if this index is going back or not, and it ain't looking good lol. The worse part about the Index is SteamVR to be honest, it's been a dumpster fire since the Vive and it's gotten *better* admittedly but it's still like the difference between an Iphone and an Android (when Android first came out). The way Oculus handles the ASW (reprojection) is just so much more graceful than Valve's at this point. Oh well sorry to vent on this thread but after 2 days of tweaking I came here to actually see if someone was claiming to be running DCS at an acceptable performance rate on "top end" hardware so I could see what I was missing.

With no disrespect meant, I just do not get Index and Reverb guys. I have tried somewhere in the hundreds of combinations so far, ... optimized patches, checked for the latest Windows 10, WMR and Steam Beta updates, .... fooled with Steam VR for several hours on end, ...made incantations over the HMDs and poured chicken blood on the ground nearby while a beautiful young nude virgin (soon not to be) held the Index and Reverb lovingly near her special areas, ... and still no go. The overall best experience is given by the Rift S.

Maybe it has to do with the incognito patch that helped some VR users and not most? I certainly noticed a bump when the patch (that we all thought didn't include VR optimization) helped my setup. Easy to notice if you use the same instant action to test the performance.

Reverb worked beautifully out of the box. But I did strap it down with some wireties since the cable reminded me of the original Vive cable (not as bad, but close). So I strain relief'ed it.

I stayed with Win 1809 because of the WMR bug that was present in 1903. When the WMR bug (that killed resolution) came out, I then upgraded to 1903.

Reverb thus far as been very smooth experience. It actually reminds me of the Rift experience.

Pimax 5K+ on the other hand isn't as smooth. So off to ebay it goes. I'll miss the wider FoV, but the stunning clarity of Reverb more than makes up for it.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Anyone tried all these out?

Not sure what to invest in , dont care on price , just the best visual quality.

Will have an I9 , 2080TI rig to drive it

I’m in Australia so not sure if Index is coming , Reverb here October, Rift S available now

Thanks in advance

I have used Rift S and Reverb.

Reverb by far is the better VR headset for simming in terms of clarity, spotting distant targets, etc... I'm really happy with the Reverb resolution.

There might be a connection between too high frame times, the low GPU usage problem and people who have Oculus software and drivers installed, running Rift S or other HMD parallel for comparison reasons.

DCS has a well known CPU usage problem, but why am i able to squeeze the best out of it with extremely high settings?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3995299&postcount=673

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3994203&postcount=646

@Skinnee

This is what's possible when DCS VR is running on "don't care on price" hardware. :)

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

There might be a connection between too high frame times, the low GPU usage problem and people who have Oculus software and drivers installed, running Rift S or other HMD parallel for comparison reasons.

DCS has a well known CPU usage problem, but why am i able to squeeze the best out of it with extremely high settings?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3995299&postcount=673

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3994203&postcount=646

@Skinnee

This is what's possible when DCS VR is running on "don't care on price" hardware. :)

@Alec Delorean

Cheers understand there will be teething problems and am not expecting UHD clarity, have tried a Samsung odyssey and was comfortable with that. Understand DCS has been around for a while and depending on their code structure they may never get there unless they bring out a new platform. Really depends on how well it was written structurally , I’m hoping that they followed good programming frameworks so parts can be changed without breaking everything else and we get VR using the hardware efficiently.

@Skinnee

Yep, the whole thing is constantly evolving. GPU drivers, VR software/drivers and DCS itself. We are at a much better state today than a year ago.

With no disrespect meant, I just do not get Index and Reverb guys. I have tried somewhere in the hundreds of combinations so far, ... optimized patches, checked for the latest Windows 10, WMR and Steam Beta updates, .... fooled with Steam VR for several hours on end, ...made incantations over the HMDs and poured chicken blood on the ground nearby while a beautiful young nude virgin (soon not to be) held the Index and Reverb lovingly near her special areas, ... and still no go. The overall best experience is given by the Rift S.

Just based on all the posts for tweaking and tuning the various headsets, it is fairly obvious the Rift S is probably the leader in offering the path of least resistance for getting up, running, and using with least amount of hassle.

I myself can not comment on any image comparisons to those other headsets, I can say though have been using mine since release on a daily basis quite happily. Looks great to me, performs well, tracking quite good.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well, OP asked for "dont care on price , just the best visual quality." not for mediocre and easy to setup each time. For the Index you do this just once, i've never touched my Lighthouses again after setting them up. Now i just put the HMD on and play because the whole room setup is solid and saved for over a year now. My Lighthouse 1.0 room setup was running steady from 2016 to 2018. I don't get this argumentation about a "more" easy setup. How often do you loose your Rift S room setup? Don't you have to recalibrate everything for once in a while, because there are no solid reference points like the Lighthouse stations?

Well, OP asked for "dont care on price , just the best visual quality." not for mediocre and easy to setup each time. For the Index you do this just once, i've never touched my Lighthouses again after setting them up. Now i just put the HMD on and play because the whole room setup is solid and saved for over a year now. My Lighthouse 1.0 room setup was running steady from 2016 to 2018. I don't get this argumentation about a "more" easy setup. How often do you loose your Rift S room setup? Don't you have to recalibrate everything for once in a while, because there are no solid reference points like the Lighthouse stations?
I was an early adopter of the original Rift back in 2016. The software updates would occasionally render the device unusable until patched which was pretty frustrating especially if you did scheduled events like online league racing etc.

Since then the Oculus software has matured so it is currently regarded as mature and stable compared with SteamVR and WMR, which is somewhat more in its infancy. Even now a SteamVR update can have a significant impact on one or more devices.

It is generally not an issue but I can see why the Rift S would be seen as a safer choice, though not without its own issues (e.g. white flashes) but they tend to get sorted in a reasonable time frame.

So it isn't just about set up but the stability of the software once set up.

That said I am happy to be a bit of a pioneer with this stuff and accept it is rather bleeding edge.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Honestly the Reverb/WMR was easier to setup and calibrate compared to my Rift CV1. No sensors to adjust just sit and go.

Well, OP asked for "dont care on price , just the best visual quality." not for mediocre and easy to setup each time

So anything else than your Index is mediocre ?

I have Rift S, I didn’t try Index, but from the various tests I saw and from the specs, I don’t buy that 1600p Vs 1440p gives you huge improvement in visual quality.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I can't speak to the Index as I have only used Odyssey, Rift S and Reverb.

The Reverb by far has the better resolution and clarity.

Some simple examples:

Rift S - F15 fuel, harder to make out, Reverb much clearer

Reverb - BVR I can make out a single bandit dot contact in my target box at 20+ nm. Rift S was more of a blob and I couldn't see it out that far much less detail.

Lastly I like to use my F15 refueling, Rift S then refueling lights were not clear at all I would have to zoom in for clarity. With Reverb it's clear with no zooming.

All the text is very readable not blurry edges.

Now, again I havent used the Index, but just go look at the spec sheet the Reverb resolution blows it away.

I get all this with good frameratea - no messing with some third party Oculus Rift software. Simply setup SteamVR - for me, slider is at default reslotion, no messing around with "200%" - just don't need it. In games DCS, PD 1, MSAA 2x, extreme distance on. Solid 45 with motionreprojection on, 90 with it off.