Virpil V3 Throttle - bad design to remove the throttle locking detect switch - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #1
HC_Official

Default Virpil V3 Throttle - bad design to remove the throttle locking detect switch

I have to say not a great design choice to remove the throttle locking detect switch from the V3 version of your throttles
This is a handy feature to make the throttle halves operate in different ways depending on if they were locked or not

1. Locked, (switch detects locked = true) then Axis 1 is copied to axis 2, deadzone is ignored
2. Unlocked, (switch detects unlocked = false) then both axis operate independentely and deadzone is used to control "snapping"

Right now there are some issues with the current way Virpil have decided to do things

Last edited by HC_Official; 06-25-2019 at 08:59 PM.
HC_Official is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
mdee

They have removed lock switch - I didn't notice this before. I hope they can compensate for it in software. Right now their deadzone setup idea is rather bad as it creates jitter between left and right axis.

I own V1 and V3 on order, while I can live without detents, that may be a deal breaker if it's not resolved.

Last edited by mdee; 06-24-2019 at 01:31 PM.
mdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
HC_Official

the locking bar is still there, but there is not detect switch for it is not
and yes the axis values snapping is a terrible design
it is not cross talk but rather when they get close to each other (determined by deadzone % value) they snap together
Old 06-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
chief

Woah,wait a minute. Why are they removing all these features and not telling us? I am too a v1 owner with a v3 on order. If this turns out to be a crap controller I will be sending it back. I get dirt cheap deals on shipping so that won’t bother me. VIRPIL don’t blow the trust of your buyers by changing your product without telling us or else we will just have to start calling you Boeing.
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
HC_Official

I also have a V1 throttle and spent a lot of time doing lots of tutorial videos on using Virpil kit
I was considering a V3 throttle but since I found this out, no chance in hell am I buying one now
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
dburne
Veteran

Yeah I have been waiting until something went bad on my Warthog throttle before getting the Virpil, kind of glad I am now. Maybe I will wait until V4 or later. Just hope the Warthog throttle holds out a while longer.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
mdee

As far as I can tell after initial testing the problem has been solved in latest firmware (28 June 2019). Will do more testing later. (https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/...test-releases/). By default deadzone is set to 2 which may not be enough for locked axes to keep the same value. Raise it to 3-5 and it should work as expected.

This is how it looks like with deadzone which keeps the axes together (4 to 5). Note, this is demonstrated with V1 throttle, but I don't see how this is going to be different with V3 (I'll find out soon).

I have disabled physical locking (button press) in Virpil software to simulate what version 3 does by default (button in throttle axis merge set to 0/---, V3 does not have a physical button which can lock axis copy)

Axes unlocked, moving only one axis.

Deadzone can be set to 0 and jitter will disappear, but (at least with V1) there will be 1-3% difference in values of the axes when locked (enough to make aircraft turn), assuming that physical button (only present in V1 and V2) is disabled in software. V3 does not have a physical button which can be set up to lock the axes in the software, therefore atm it's either jitter or uneven axes values. or if the tolerances are extremely tight it may not be a problem (rather unlikely IMO due to nature of the sensors)

It's about 1 to 2% jump when axis is next to each other physically. Not as massive deal as I thought, but still an issue. Not sure if this can be fixed without physical button, but we will see, maybe a slight delay between detection of two axes being close together and merge would help.

ps. I am not trying to cause an outrage here, I am not going to cancel my pre-order because of this and I have no intention to use any other throttle than Vripil because IMO there is nothing better than it on the market (except when I decide to switch to full Bugeye setup or buy a real F18 ). It's an issue and I am looking forward to Virpil solving it. (just don't make me wait 3 months for new throttle then release V4 pls )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	throttle_axis_software_jitter_DCS.gif
Views:	1883
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	212651   Click image for larger version

Name:	throttle_axis_software_jitter.gif
Views:	1861
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	212652  

Last edited by mdee; 07-03-2019 at 12:57 PM.
mdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:19 PM   #8
HC_Official

move your axis to about 50 and set deadzone at 0 (this would be worst case - see how bad it is)
for me it is 50% on one and 45% on other throttle
Old 06-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #9
HC_Official

added demo video showing how this looks when viewing the VPC joystick tester
Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 PM   #10
iKyrThraad993i

Please change the Title. This is misleading as people thing you have the V3 model and have this problem.

If both v1 and v2 have it I would think v3 probably does but since you have yet to official test V3 or anyone here this is not helping it seems like people would think you have V3 when you don't

"( Also what has virpil official said about this have you spoke to them?
iKyrThraad993i is offline   Reply With Quote