TARGET not deactivating physical devices when TM virtual combo active

TWC_Alamo

I am having an intermittent problem with TARGET virtual combined device. After the computer has been idling for awhile and I start up the T.A.R.G.E.T. GUI to create a virtual joystick that combines the throttle, stick and two MFD's into one device, Windows (or TARGET) doesn't disconnect the physical TM stick and throttle and MFD's. In the DCS controls setting pages both the Virtua Combo Device and the physical devices are present with the buttons and axes doubly mapped. This causes havoc with the TARGET profiles.

Also the Windows->Control Panel-> Devices and Printers , show the TM virtual combined device and the physical devices, but without the yellow "caution signs" Window normallydisplays when the TM Virtual Combo device is running correctly.

I can tell when things are going to go wrong by the time it takes the TARGET Profile to load. If it takes 2x or 3x as long as normal, then I will have the problem. Restarting TARGET does not solve the problem.

However, if I launch a TARGET GUI immediately after a reboot, it starts always starts normally. I suspected Windows power management might be suspending power to the USB and HID devices and causing the problem. I went into the device manager and made sure the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option was UNCHECKED for all the USB Hubs and HID devices, but this seems to have no effect on the problem.

A Google search fails to turn up anything about this problem. Has anyone else encountered this and if so have you found a solution?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

I do see this sometimes, just clear out all the mappings from the non-virtual devices so they can’t cause issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I do see this sometimes, just clear out all the mappings from the non-virtual devices so they can’t cause issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same issue here.

Today I just downloaded the latest drivers and reloaded Target. Also, ran a systems program to clear out any left over bits in the registry.

It seemed to work great at first until I loaded the throttle without the combined setup. It showed up just fine in DCS but, when I went to load the conbined setup after shutting down DCS, it showed both setups in DCS again.

You can tell when it's struggling on loading the stick when there is a long delay. However, on subsequent DCS boots with combined setup DCS did show only the combined setup. So, more testing.

Oh, yes, I deleted all the configs in the Save Games folder and then loaded my backup files through DCS. I only had to play with the axes controls a bit.

I had this issue a few times in the past. Along with script taking ages to run. I recently bought a USB hub and connected all my ™ stuff to that, and since then there has been no issues.

The joy's seem to not boot right when you enter windows.

Now I boot windows, and then turn on the hub when in Win 10. (the hub has an on/off switch).

All good now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Any issues I've had with TARGET were fixed with a registry edit and manually turning off any USB power saving features. Also check BIOS to ensure any USB power saving features are turned off.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usbcoreblog/2013/11/08/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-device-doesnt-charge-or-it-disconnects-and-reconnects-frequently/

Also ensure that you follow installation instructions precisely to prevent installation conflicts with driver and TARGET.

Other than that I think I would have to be sitting down at your computer, try googling any error codes or script errors you get. Hope this helps

As a long shot - try excluding Target from Windows Defender and see if that helps.

(Roccat drivers take forever to "apply" changes because Windows Defender singles that software out for extra scrutiny).

Maybe that is causing some of the compile/usb setup process to time out or something.

BTW, you can force Target to not disconnected both/either the joystick and throttle. As long as you dont duplicate binds/axes across devices (both virtual and physical) you should be good.

When I experienced this issue, I went through the Target directory and made all the .exe in there "run as admin". I hope it helps you as well. What I have noticed, that on occasions, both the combined device and the individual devices will still show in the devices window. It shouldn't prevent your title from seeing the right one, however you may need to clear the commands from the unwarranted device within DCS and/or other sims.

Windows is trying to protect you from what they think you don't know, so it halts the running of the combining process. Even if you are the admin on the pc.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 3 weeks later...
I am having an intermittent problem with TARGET virtual combined device. After the computer has been idling for awhile and I start up the T.A.R.G.E.T. GUI to create a virtual joystick that combines the throttle, stick and two MFD's into one device, Windows (or TARGET) doesn't disconnect the physical TM stick and throttle and MFD's. In the DCS controls setting pages both the Virtua Combo Device and the physical devices are present with the buttons and axes doubly mapped. This causes havoc with the TARGET profiles.

Hi Alamo,

Similar problems and went through my systems and I may have found a solution. A least it has worked now several times in a row.

First I did the usual things about ensuring recognition and ensuring no "sleep" mode for the USB invoked. Made sure it was connected to USB 2.0, and ensured "Legacy" mode was on in the Bios.

The fix was - to remark out some of the TM headings in the script file as follows:

include "target.tmh"

int main()

{

//Configure(&Joystick, MODE_EXCLUDED);

//Configure(&HCougar, MODE_EXCLUDED);

//Configure(&T16000, MODE_EXCLUDED);

//Configure(&LMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);

//Configure(&RMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);

if(Init(&EventHandle)) return 1;

SetKBRate(50, 50);

SetKBLayout(KB_ENG);

SetShiftButton(&Joystick, S1, &Throttle, BSF, BSB, 0);

This change also stopped the delay in loading and also worked from rebooting the PC.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers

Edited by Catseye

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try and report back. Which file exactly are you editing?

Hi Alamo,

Similar problems and went through my systems and I may have found a solution. A least it has worked now several times in a row.

First I did the usual things about ensuring recognition and ensuring no "sleep" mode for the USB invoked. Made sure it was connected to USB 2.0, and ensured "Legacy" mode was on in the Bios.

The fix was - to remark out some of the TM headings in the script file as follows:

include "target.tmh"

int main()

{

//Configure(&Joystick, MODE_EXCLUDED);

//Configure(&HCougar, MODE_EXCLUDED);

//Configure(&T16000, MODE_EXCLUDED);

//Configure(&LMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);

//Configure(&RMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);

if(Init(&EventHandle)) return 1;

SetKBRate(50, 50);

SetKBLayout(KB_ENG);

SetShiftButton(&Joystick, S1, &Throttle, BSF, BSB, 0);

This change also stopped the delay in loading and also worked from rebooting the PC.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

Panther,

I have done this but still having problems. I just wished Windows wasn't so damn motherly!

Alan

When I experienced this issue, I went through the Target directory and made all the .exe in there "run as admin". I hope it helps you as well. What I have noticed, that on occasions, both the combined device and the individual devices will still show in the devices window. It shouldn't prevent your title from seeing the right one, however you may need to clear the commands from the unwarranted device within DCS and/or other sims.

Windows is trying to protect you from what they think you don't know, so it halts the running of the combining process. Even if you are the admin on the pc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

GA Flight Sim

Thermal,

How do you do this?

Alamo

BTW, you can force Target to not disconnected both/either the joystick and throttle. As long as you dont duplicate binds/axes across devices (both virtual and physical) you should be good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

GA Flight Sim

Svend,

Thanks for the suggestion. Is your hub USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? I did the same with a new fairly expensive hub, but still have the same issue.

Alamo

I had this issue a few times in the past. Along with script taking ages to run. I recently bought a USB hub and connected all my ™ stuff to that, and since then there has been no issues.

The joy's seem to not boot right when you enter windows.

Now I boot windows, and then turn on the hub when in Win 10. (the hub has an on/off switch).

All good now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

GA Flight Sim

Thanks Snake_iis. I have manually (in fact "early and often") gone through all the USB Hobs and HID listed in the Device Manager and disabled the power management feature. I have not tried the RegEdit, but will give that a try. I have been down this path before trying to solve an issue with Windows, and my computer resetting TRACKIR. I once saw a post on a ED forum about also changing a Group Policy regarding the USB power management. If set wrong, it will override all the manual USB settings, but I haven't been able to find that again and my Google search has found it either.

Alamo

Any issues I've had with TARGET were fixed with a registry edit and manually turning off any USB power saving features. Also check BIOS to ensure any USB power saving features are turned off.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usbcoreblog/2013/11/08/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-device-doesnt-charge-or-it-disconnects-and-reconnects-frequently/

Also ensure that you follow installation instructions precisely to prevent installation conflicts with driver and TARGET.

Other than that I think I would have to be sitting down at your computer, try googling any error codes or script errors you get. Hope this helps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

GA Flight Sim

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try and report back. Which file exactly are you editing?

I use Target Script.

But . . . . if you use straight Target you can find the script file here:

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.0e25aabc67a2146a94574800ffc057fd.jpg

Just click on "View Script" and edit that document when it pops up.

Hope it works for you.

Okay, I misunderstood. I am using HomeFries's Target Profiles and tried looking for similar code to what you reference. He is using the TM virtual controller that combines the Stick, throttle and 2 MFD's into one controller. I need to do some more digging.

Thanks.

I use Target Script.

But . . . . if you use straight Target you can find the script file here:

[ATTACH]206209[/ATTACH]

Just click on "View Script" and edit that document when it pops up.

Hope it works for you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

GA Flight Sim

Okay, I misunderstood. I am using HomeFries's Target Profiles and tried looking for similar code to what you reference. He is using the TM virtual controller that combines the Stick, throttle and 2 MFD's into one controller. I need to do some more digging.

Thanks.

OK,

I'm not familiar with that program. However, I'm pretty sure that a script profile is in there somewhere. To my knowledge, it is alway there - even in the background somewhere.

Hope you find it.

Still working fine for me.

This happens to me occasionally as well. I think it has something to do with constant enable/re-enabling of devices, at least on Windows 10. My Warthog runs on A USB 2.0 hub with power saving off and I still get it. It fixes itself after a restart but after about a little over half-dozen script/profile loads it starts in again. It might just be Windows failing to save the state.

It came back again for me and this is what I see:

If you start the sim without having Target loaded it will select the JS that way and show that only in the SIM controls menu.

If you then load target later, both will show in the SIM controls menu.

You will then have to load target and then replug the USB plug. That will get rid of the non-target control info.

From then on, it will load Target just fine until . . . . . wait for it . . . . you decide to load the SIM again WITHOUT the target profile loaded and whoa, you're back to unplugging and loading target again.

Pain in the butt.

• 2 months later...

Problem Solved!

I think I have stumbled across a solution to this problem. It appears to be solved by removing the Windows Store. From a post on the BuDs discord server,

"Windows Store was interfering with TARGET when target tried to disable the controllers in order to create a new virtual controller. Windows Store wanted to use the new virtual controller and didn't like it, so it locked it. I ended up with 3 joysticks in the list."

Anyway I removed the Window Store using the method described in this YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAWJ73If6OM). I have tested it by letting my computer set for tens of minutes and the running TARGET. The profiles now run quickly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

GA Flight Sim

Brilliant! Can't wait to get home to test this out. For months now I have just got into the habit of disconnecting then reconnecting all my TM devices before launching CTS which was the only way I could assure that I would get only the combined device to show up. Hope this works!

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Just a tip that may be easier for you... I have all controllers plugged into a powered Anker hub with an on/off switch. I wait until prior to flying to turn it on, and that fixes this TARGET issue.

Occasionally it still happens though, but a quick flick of the switch always fixes it.

However, now since I’ve gotten VPC controls, the only thing I use TARGET for is controlling g my Cougar throttle, and have that programmed to occur at login. I have since moved the Cougar to a different hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

That trick about removing the Microsoft Windows Store has worked perfectly! Highly recommend it for those that had this issue in the past.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Yep Works perfectly, many Thx

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

• 4 months later...

I had hoped Microsoft would have fixed this problem in Windows ver 1903, but apparently not. I spent the last couple of days reinstalling all my software after a failed upgrade to version 1903. I guess a "clean install" is good for the soul. However; this bug is still present in 1903. I had to remove the Microsoft Windows Store to get rid of it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

GA Flight Sim