VPC Configurator Software - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-23-2018, 04:21 AM   #21
MustangSally

I've asked the mods to sticky this thread so it doesn't get lost amongst the rest.

Obutto Ozone
i7-7740x @ 4.9 (Delided), ASRock X299 Fatal1ty M/B
Samsung 970 EVO Series 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD
Crucial M500 and M300 SSD's, 32gig GSkill Ripjaws DDR4
MSI 2080Ti, Corsair 1115 Pro water cooler
Philips BDM3270QP2/75 32inch 2k monitor
Virpil T-50 Mongoos Throttle
Virpil T50 CM, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV, TrackIr, DS FLT1
Rift S
MustangSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:21 AM   #22
Barefoot Bandit

OK guys, credit where credit is due, but I also, being a UI person, think the interface is awful and confusing - fortunately made up for by some amazing hardware.

I've already had to help a few people in the Elite: Dangerous forums work out their stick, as the software is not really clear, and the naming of the files often makes no sense.

This, to me, is an example of an "Engineer's piece of software" - ie - it makes perfect sense to an engineer, especially one that worked on the hardware (I have an electrical engineering background, and can work it out pretty easily), but non engineer background folks really struggle.

For example, once I finally managed to upgrade my WarBRD with the working firmware, I first needed to work out which "board profile" I needed to load (which ended up being trial and error, because they are named as "board 3.01", "board 3.02" etc - also, excuse me if I have the names of the software functions wrong, I'll edit this later when I'm in front of my PC with the correct names), and then, and only then, once I load the right board, can I load the profile that allows the T-50 grip/Warthog Grip/Delta grip to work.

Then I need to calibrate... Along with constant saving and loading...

My suggestion, and I *know* the team are stupid busy, but still:

Set up some from of automated script where you select your base, your grip, click "OK" and it performs all those steps for you, then automatically goes to the calibration screen, and then the button test screen "with "done" or "next" prompts when finished).

If you want to get fancy with shift buttons and stuff, sure, you'll need to read the manual and work out the software, but to get the thing running out of the box should not be an exercise in mental gymnastics for someone that just dropped US$300+ (with shipping) on a grip and stick.

Now, the video, while somewhat helpful, consists of someone waving a mouse pointer around the screen, with no text, and only silence to fill in the gaps as to what is going on and why.

Why am I saving profiles between steps? Why am I reloading them? What am I actually doing when those crazy bars are flicking all over the place before they seem to be tamed? Do I move the stick in circles? Or just full deflection from left-right-up-down?

Check out the CH Pro calibration software as a bit of an example of something that makes more sense to an end user. No, it's not perfect, but most people get it first time around, without having to raise tickets (which wastes the teams time) or endlessly searching the interwebs (wasting valuable game time).

Again, I don't mean this to be insulting, offensive or combative in any way, just seeing it from the viewpoint of a new customer that is not so technically minded, that just wants to start flying with their *amazingly beautiful* new toy.

Cheers,

Z...

Last edited by Barefoot Bandit; 10-08-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Barefoot Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:34 AM   #23
dburne
Veteran

That is one thing with both of these guys ( Virpil and VKB) - the software can be quite intimidating. It can be very powerful, but many like myself will find it very hard to wrap their arms around it.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:54 AM   #24
Baur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Bandit View Post

Yes, I agree!

Baur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #25
WineCape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Bandit View Post
OK guys, credit where credit is due, but I also, being a UI person, think the interface is awful and confusing - fortunately made up for by some amazing hardware.

I've already had to help a few people in the Elite: Dangerous forums work out their stick, as the software is not really clear, and the naming of the files often makes no sense.

This, to me, is an example of an "Engineer's piece of software" - ie - it makes perfect sense to an engineer, especially one that worked on the hardware (I have an electrical engineering background, and can work it out pretty easily), but non engineer background folks really struggle.

For example, once I finally managed to upgrade my WarBRD with the working firmware, I first needed to work out which "board profile" I needed to load (which ended up being trial and error, because they are named as "board 3.01", "board 3.02" etc - also, excuse me if I have the names of the software functions wrong, I'll edit this later when I'm in front of my PC with the correct names), and then, and only then, once I load the right board, can I load the profile that allows the T-50 grip/Warthog Grip/Delta grip to work.

Then I need to calibrate... Along with constant saving and loading...

Set up some from of automated script where you select your base, your grip, click "OK" and it performs all those steps for you, then automatically goes to the calibration screen, and then the button test screen "with "done" or "next" prompts when finished).

If you want to get fancy with shift buttons and stuff, sure, you'll need to read the manual and work out the software, but to get the thing running out of the box should not be an exercise in mental gymnastics for someone that just dropped US$300+ (with shipping) on a grip and stick.

Now, the video, while somewhat helpful, consists of someone waving a mouse pointer around the screen, with no text, and only silence to fill in the gaps as to what is going on and why.

Why am I saving profiles between steps? Why am I reloading them? What am I actually doing when those crazy bars are flicking all over the place before they seem to be tamed? Do I move the stick in circles? Or just full deflection from left-right-up-down?

Check out the CH Pro calibration software as a bit of an example of something that makes more sense to an end user. No, it's not perfect, but most people get it first time around, without having to raise tickets (which wastes the teams time) or endlessly searching the interwebs (wasting valuable game time).

Again, I don't mean this to be insulting, offensive or combative in any way, just seeing it from the viewpoint of a new customer that is not so technically minded, that just wants to start flying with there *amazingly beautiful* new toy.

Cheers,

Z...
THIS. Halleluja.

Currently, I have the Throttle with Configurator software in "SYNC" (Green) mode and dated as follows VID: 03EB PID: 2048 VPC-Throttle (VPC-JOY-180913) + Device PCB = VPC.CNT.V06.

Now here's the problem:
I have Win7Pro 64 bit PC by the way - and currently have only the VKB GunFighter II Stick as hardware with DCS' F/A-18 (in SIM mode) - and the VKB works fine. But I simply don't understand how to map Virpil's peripheral wrt its button presses in DCS as an added peripheral.

I did manage to mapped all 6 Axis on the Virpil Throttle - and its working fine ingame and as per DCS OPTIONS CONTROL Menu, but not a single button ON the Throttle can be mapped (in DCS' CONTROLS screen that is) even though DCS sees/recognizes Virpil's throttle ingame.
Heck, DCS' Controls menu wont even allow me to OPEN its scroll menu to ADD a button throttle press in the first place.

Frankly, I am as confused as puke in a tumble drier and prolly have fouled up more then I should admit.

So if somebody can show me HOW to MAP all those nifty toggles/buttons on my T-50 Throttle ( which by the way is a damn beautiful piece of hardware) to DCS, I might just offer to pay for their MARS passenger ticket in the near future.

Last edited by WineCape; 10-01-2018 at 09:48 PM.
WineCape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #26
pitkun

Hi guys,

Yes as someone already said, the setup process is annoying and confusing.

Please make some good video on the tube channel, people can setup their stuff easy way, and not messing the firmware and other stuff.

PLEASE DO IT FIRST !!!

A good video.

My question -

Is there a way to make the throttle know that there is MT50 stick, and some way to make the 5 mode switch affect the stick buttons according to its position.

Thank you.
pitkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #27
wasserfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineCape View Post
THIS. Halleluja.

Currently, I have the Throttle with Configurator software in "SYNC" (Green) mode and dated as follows VID: 03EB PID: 2048 VPC-Throttle (VPC-JOY-180913) + Device PCB = VPC.CNT.V06.

Now here's the problem:
I have Win7Pro 64 bit PC by the way - and currently have only the VKB GunFighter II Stick as hardware with DCS' F/A-18 (in SIM mode) - and the VKB works fine. But I simply don't understand how to map Virpil's peripheral wrt its button presses in DCS as an added peripheral.

I did manage to mapped all 6 Axis on the Virpil Throttle - and its working fine ingame and as per DCS OPTIONS CONTROL Menu, but not a single button ON the Throttle can be mapped (in DCS' CONTROLS screen that is) even though DCS sees/recognizes Virpil's throttle ingame.
Heck, DCS' Controls menu wont even allow me to OPEN its scroll menu to ADD a button throttle press in the first place.

Frankly, I am as confused as puke in a tumble drier and prolly have fouled up more then I should admit.

So if somebody can show me HOW to MAP all those nifty toggles/buttons on my T-50 Throttle ( which by the way is a damn beautiful piece of hardware) to DCS, I might just offer to pay for their MARS passenger ticket in the near future.

You can try to pull the USB cable out and then back in, did the trick for me.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #28
WineCape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserfall View Post
You can try to pull the USB cable out and then back in, did the trick for me.
That did it for me too! As simple as that.

Thanks mate.
WineCape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #29
wasserfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineCape View Post
That did it for me too! As simple as that.

Thanks mate.
Only problem is that i have to plug it every time back in when i start my pc.
Hopefully Virpil will fix this.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #30
epolta

Is there now, or will there be in the future, any capability to send a different button push using a push and hold function. For Example using the upper right 2 way on the MT50 stick for forward short and forward long to do a different action - similar to how warthog boat switch can be used in A-10c module?

thanks!
epolta is offline   Reply With Quote