how to navigate waypoints - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
mdamstel

Default how to navigate waypoints

Hi,
I am new here on DCS World. I created a short flight mission for the Huey, consisting of 3 waypoints. May goal is just to fly these waypoints and then land back on the original airfield, to practice Huey flying. However: I dont know how I can navigate these waypoints? Do they show up somehow in the Huey and how can I select succesive waypoints in-flight?

I came across this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJwCmeuNLIY, but there is no such map in the Huey that I know of.

Regards,
Rene
mdamstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #2
Holton181

Use the maps on your kneeboard and position markers (sorry I didn't remember the key mapings for them, but they both uses 'k' and possibly a modifier, look in the keyboard mapings). That and your eyes and compass, map reading skills are good to have. That is the general way I do it.
But you also have radio beacons you can tune in to, three different radios depending on what kind of beacon. All airports I believe have a beacon nearby. But you need to read the manual for this. You can find general radio navigation tutorials around the net for more advanced use.
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
mdamstel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holton181 View Post
Use the maps on your kneeboard and position markers (sorry I didn't remember the key mapings for them, but they both uses 'k' and possibly a modifier, look in the keyboard mapings). That and your eyes and compass, map reading skills are good to have. That is the general way I do it.
But you also have radio beacons you can tune in to, three different radios depending on what kind of beacon. All airports I believe have a beacon nearby. But you need to read the manual for this. You can find general radio navigation tutorials around the net for more advanced use.
Thanks for the quick answer. I am familiar with radio navigation although I have to train to et experience again. But: I indeed found the kneeboard, with the Waypoints on the map, bu I dont see my own aircraft on the kneeboard map. So that doesnt seem too much helpful alas.

My point is: suppose I want to place waypoints where no radio beacons are, for example waypoints to navigate between mountain peaks, how do I use them?

Or am I missing something on the kneeboard map?

I guess I am spoiled with the possibilities in Prepar3D to use EFB and Garmin GNS750 etc. :-)

Last edited by mdamstel; 01-24-2020 at 08:28 AM.
mdamstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamstel View Post
Thanks for the quick answer. I am familiar with radio navigation although I have to train to et experience again. But: I indeed found the kneeboard, with the Waypoints on the map, bu I dont see my own aircraft on the kneeboard map. So that doesnt seem too much helpful alas.

My point is: suppose I want to place waypoints where no radio beacons are, for example waypoints to navigate between mountain peaks, how do I use them?

Or am I missing something on the kneeboard map?

I guess I am spoiled with the possibilities in Prepar3D to use EFB and Garmin GNS750 etc. :-)
You have a possibility to (manualy by key combination) mark your current position on the map with an arrow pointing your heading. I don't remember the default key combo, but it includes the 'k'. Just go into the key maping and hit 'k' + different modifiers (left/right shift/ctrl/alt) and see what's coming up. I have that command maped to one of my hotas buttons.
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Old 01-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
Elor

Easiest way is to enable the marker for your own position in the F10 map. The Huey doesn't come with GPS or a navigation computer.
Elor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
vhsousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elor View Post
Easiest way is to enable the marker for your own position in the F10 map. The Huey doesn't come with GPS or a navigation computer.
How it's done?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhsousa View Post
How it's done?

Thanks
The arrow button on the top left of the screen while in F10 map.
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Old 01-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #8
CHPL

For some kind of real Navigation, you go to the Flightplaner take a pen and paper and plot course and distance from waypoint to waypoint. Calculate the time en route between the waypoints by using 80 knots cruise speed.
So by following your course and distance measuring while keeping 80 knots ( not 60 and not 100) comparing that with time en route you find your way from one point to another.

For Backup reasons peck up some landmarks in the vicinity of the WP from the map, like Road crossings, rivers, and settlements.

If you get used to it you may add wind and wind correction angels.

Verry common is IFR in Helicopters I Follow Roads.:pilot fly:
Old 01-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamstel View Post
The 2D NS430 offers a "lite" version of a Garmin but is missing most features other than it's GPS functions i.e. radios/VLOC aren't functional and flight plans/settings can't be saved.

AFAIK most UH-1H campaigns disable the NS430 as they expect the pilot to use visual and/or radio navigation.

However it may be suitable for your own missions as it'll import your waypoints as a flight plan.

As the NS430 is missing many features compared to other sims. and has performance issues in the Persian Gulf map, I'd advise buying it in a sale (such as the current 'Luna Sale').

Note: The 2D NS430 is not compatible with VR.

Last edited by Ramsay; 01-24-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #10
fargo007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHPL View Post
For some kind of real Navigation, you go to the Flightplaner take a pen and paper and plot course and distance from waypoint to waypoint. Calculate the time en route between the waypoints by using 80 knots cruise speed.
So by following your course and distance measuring while keeping 80 knots ( not 60 and not 100) comparing that with time en route you find your way from one point to another.

For Backup reasons peck up some landmarks in the vicinity of the WP from the map, like Road crossings, rivers, and settlements.

If you get used to it you may add wind and wind correction angels.

Verry common is IFR in Helicopters I Follow Roads.:pilot fly:
This is called nav by "Dead Reckoning."

He's absolutely right about landmarks, and getting used to looking for and using them on routes.

If there are power lines that parallel your route, rivers that you will cross, valleys, draws, saddles, all of the terrain features need to become part of your plan, and features that define your waypoints.

You are navigating "inside" the helicopter and need to start learning how to incorporate navigating "outside."

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?
Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.
fargo007 is offline   Reply With Quote